Are you new to boating?? CLICK HERE

Sam

Featured Posts

Hi there,

I've just bought my first narrowboat. It's been a long time dream of mine to liveaboard and now it's starting to come true.

I've just returned to the UK after living overseas for most of my life. I'm on a strict budget due to currency value differences. I've bought the narrowboat from a reputable broker so all the survey faults will be fixed before I take possession. However, I have to fix up inside as it looks like a DIY project gone wrong. I will also need to replace the inverter to make the boat livable.

I am such a noob that it's going to be quite an adventure, but I'm looking forward to the journey ahead. I am grateful for any advice and help I can get. The boat will hopefully be moored in Chirk marina by April. Computers used to be my passion until narrowboats became my focus. I would be happy to swap computer help for narrowboat help with anyone in the area.

Thanks to everyone for making this an excellent resource of knowledge.

Charlie

purpleBabs, on 10 Feb 2016 - 10:25 AM, said:

My name is Babs. I have just bought a 50 foot boat. I am going it alone in Northwich! I will be living aboard so any tips on mooring, insurance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone moor at Orchard Marina? My husband and I had a narrowboat 20 years ago and we moored at Orchard. Thanks.

Hi Babs,

Welcome to "The Cheshire Set" cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Can't really say we are new to boating as we haven't completed the purchase yet! Deposit has been paid and so has the first month's mooring fee but still no boat... Trying to arrange the boat move for when we complete, but this is harder and more stressful than buying a house.

Hopefully the planets will align for us and everything will fall into place?

Anyway, we look forward to reading the blogs on here and all the helpful links you post.

All the best

Mick & Kath

Hi Fennel, Hi Charlie belated welcome to the forum (Been a bit remiss, I've not been checking this thread as often as I should)

Hi there Mick and Kath !!! welcome to the forum, I hope things smooth out for you and you soon have easy cruising.

If you have questions, try using the search option first as a lot of things have been answered in earlier threads.

If you cant find what you want to know, just start a thread and ask.

Do keep checking the thread as replies come back at surprising speed sometimes within a couple of minutes. smile.png

John V

Hi there,

Snip...

I would be happy to swap computer help for narrowboat help with anyone in the area.

Thanks to everyone for making this an excellent resource of knowledge.

Charlie

I think that you will find that advice and help is given very freely on here but keep an eye out for computer topics. You will probably have plenty of opportunity for input there.

And welcome back to UK and boating. Where are the boat and you now?

Nick

Hi all,

Can't really say we are new to boating as we haven't completed the purchase yet! Deposit has been paid and so has the first month's mooring fee but still no boat... Trying to arrange the boat move for when we complete, but this is harder and more stressful than buying a house.

Hopefully the planets will align for us and everything will fall into place?

Anyway, we look forward to reading the blogs on here and all the helpful links you post.

All the best

Mick & Kath

Ask for help with the boat move. Some people will do anything to have a go on another boat!

Well, finally I find a place that talk totally about boats!!

Hmm. I'm new, very new to boating. I am interested in boating world maybe only since last month. I saw a video on Youtube and found that it's very cool. I maybe will mostly quiet in this forum, reading thread by thread. I hope I will be welcomed here. Thanks all. cheers.gifcheers.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hello to you all.

I am new to the site and extremely excited and motivated to be in the market for a Wide-beam "sailaway" to make into my future home-afloat. I have decided that a 57' - 60' x 12' wide beam should suit my purposes nicely and fully anticipate widely accessing waterways accessible to such a craft. I am particularly keen to establish what the MAXIMUM length of my future home should be, ensuring that I should, for example, be able to enter waterways such as the Lancaster Canal via the Ribble Link without a sleepless night before attempting it!

Aged 62 and a well-seasoned caravanner, I am looking forward to transitioning from a land to a water-borne lifestyle...albeit on a very tight budget. Any tips/advice from those who've already trodden this path will be very welcome.

Comments regarding installing a pre-owned AGA/Rayburn "type" range to provide cooking, heating and hot water would be especially welcomed.

I also look forward to contributing to such a well-supported and knowledgeable forum membership.

Welcome DM, this just the place to aid you on the steep learning curve you have ahead of you.

To get advice on any specific question , it's always better to post on the appropriate forum because not everybody bothers with "new content" and will go straight into the forum of their choice.

Phil

Welcome DM, this just the place to aid you on the steep learning curve you have ahead of you.

To get advice on any specific question , it's always better to post on the appropriate forum because not everybody bothers with "new content" and will go straight into the forum of their choice.

Phil

Thanks for your welcome and advice, Phil.

Sounds like i'll better have my crampons at the ready for that steep learning curve! Thankfully, I love a challenge and I'm certain there will be plenty of those to face in the coming months and years!!

Mike

Are you a newbie to boating?

Well introduce your selves right here!!

And everyone will get to now you!!!

Hi there, we are Neil and Mary and later this year when we sell our house we are going to buy a widebeam narrow boat and hopefully spend at least 6 months of the year cruising the widebeam circuit of the North of England....we are hoping to get some advise on the kind of mooring we will need,bearing in mind that we will need a "base " to return to......Neither of us have any experience of narrow boats or canals...although I have 20 years of sailing to fall back on...although I can't see that helping much!

We would appreciate any input from anyone and look forward to making some new friends in the the process !

Welcome Neil and Mary, 20 years on yachts eh, that should stand you in good stead, both steered by tiller, the only real difference being the weight and subsequent inertia so just adopt a slow steady approach and you wont go far wrong. Regards living on a boat, well there is a wealth of experience to be found here.

Phil