Running pwer dill from a small generator

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

The problem has been solved!

I drained the tank and carburetter bowl and re-filled with new petrol, I fitted a new decent quality spark plug, and after replacing the Carburetter bowl washer with one that didn't leak! had a go at starting. It fired up second go, better than when it was new. I let it warm up a bit and tried the drill, it worked fine, even on full speed.

Thanks for all the advice, it certainly helped, and I now have a higher opinion of my "good value" generator than I had two days ago.

Taking on board other people's experience, I got the generator out today to try it out. Would it start? no it would not, I checked the exhaust for blockages, I cleaned the plug and checked it for a spark, which was very weak, and managed to jam the self return starter so had to dismantle that, but nothing worked.

I am off to the motor factors tomorrow to get a new (decent0 spark plug in the hope that it does the trick, however it did occur to me that the petrol may have gone off, which will not help. How long does petrol last unused? it has been in there for several years since I last used it.

thats probably a interesting new Liquer you have there. it definatly isn't petrol anymore !

Two stroke mix is even worse, the oil coagulates out on the surface of everything thing it is in contact with gumming up the jets etc.

Very useful to know when you're buying a "spares or repairs" Seagull outboard.

I have yet to buy one that hasn't started 3rd pull, after cleaning the gunk out.

Very useful to know when you're buying a "spares or repairs" Seagull outboard.

I have yet to buy one that hasn't started 3rd pull, after cleaning the gunk out.

Exactly what happened to us when we bought a non-runner 40+ Bit of carb. cleaning and it runs like a goodun. Quite a young one I imagine at 33 yrs old?

2% acetone in the old petrol will always get you going again and makes the starting easier...now when you have that drill at full load we will see if the rotor diode blows ......

Sorry to disapoint you, but as I want to drill two 16mm holes in concrete (dont ask!!) The drill will not be running at anything like full load, so I doubt hope that nothing will blow.

Sorry to disapoint you, but as I want to drill two 16mm holes in concrete (dont ask!!) The drill will not be running at anything like full load, so I doubt hope that nothing will blow.

Quite a large bit,take it slowly.

I am off to the motor factors tomorrow to get a new (decent0 spark plug in the hope that it does the trick, however it did occur to me that the petrol may have gone off, which will not help. How long does petrol last unused? it has been in there for several years since I last used it.

Put fresh fuel in before you fit the new plug, old, well pasts it's best unleaded fuel, seems to knacker spark plugs in double quick time.

HTH

Paul

Quite a large bit,take it slowly.

I will be drilling a 6mm then 13mm then 16mm. Hopefully that will reduce the strain on the drill, although I am not sure whether normal engineering practice applies to concrete.

Edited by David Schweizer

If the concrete has ballast ''stones'' in it they will be your problem,the bit might jamb and slip in the chuck,Hold on tight to that drill they can break your arm if that happens.I tend to not quite tighten the chuck on purpose so that it can slip.

If you hit a stone,stop drilling and break up the stone with a pin punch and hammer.

If the concrete has ballast ''stones'' in it they will be your problem,the bit might jamb and slip in the chuck,Hold on tight to that drill they can break your arm if that happens.I tend to not quite tighten the chuck on purpose so that it can slip.

If you hit a stone,stop drilling and break up the stone with a pin punch and hammer.

I do not have a pin punch, but do have quite a few small Cold Chisels, will they do the job? Heavy hammers are not a problem.

Edited by David Schweizer

Up to three years ago, I had similar problems with stale petrol. Since converting to LPG (kit available from Edge Technology in Crewe- Google 'em if you're interested)I have never had any starting problems with my Honda suitcase genny. Runs smokelessly like a dream-and, at the last count (difficult to do when fuel prices are so variable), it's cheaper than petrol.

Another advantage is that there's no need to keep petrol on board.

The genny, by the way, will still run on petrol, if needed; no alterations need be made to the system- just put in petrol, and off you go. To re-use LPG, all petrol has to be drained first...

Good old Rawlplug jumper bit

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update on my OP, I visited our mooring today and took the Generator and Driil. I managed to drill two 16mm holes about 7cm deep to accept the shield anchor bolts, so now we have a secure mooring ring rather than a pin that moves.

The drilling took some while, and I am particularly grateful for the advice about breaking up stones with a cold chisel, I had to do that several times but it worked brilliantly. The drill performed really well, initially it cut out several times which I thought was the Generater overload cut out, but it turned out to be the drill torque setting being set too low, once put on a higherrt settin it worked well.

So I have answered my question, yes it is posible to run a 550 watt drill from a Generator with a power tool setting of 520 watts.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.