Running pwer dill from a small generator

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I guess that I should know the answer to my question, but I will test it here anyway.

I want to run a 550watt hammer drill from my small cheapo generator, which is rated at 650 amps. However, the leaflet that came with it states that the maximum size of power tool it can run is 520watt. Does anyone know whether the drill will actually operate, or does it need the full 550 watts to start up? I will not be running at full speed, as I will be using it to drill a fairly large hole in concrete (in graduated stages).

Edited by David Schweizer

I guess that I should know the answer to my question, but I will test it here anyway.

I want to run a 550watt hammer drill from my small cheapo generator, which is rated at 650 amps. However, the leaflet that came with it states that the maximum size of power tool it can run is 520watt. Does anyone know whether the drill will actually operate, or does it need the full 550 watts to start up? I will not be running at full speed, as I will be using it to drill a fairly large hole in concrete (in graduated stages).

The only way to find out is to try it.

It's the starting current which is likely to be an issue, if it starts OK (don't put any load on the drill until it's up to speed), then you should be OK.

Tim

the drill will only use 550 watts at full load,start up should be o.k.

I had a similar problem in that the genny just hadn't quite enough grunt to start the drill initially. The answer was to "inch" the trigger rapidly on the drill to get it rolling. Worked fine once running :)

650 AMPs - thats no small generator LOL. 650 watts or VA more likely.

give it go - i've one of the (probably same) cheapo chinese 2 stoke genny's and regularly abuse it with all manner of drills, hedgecutters, lights and small kettles. mine has a cicuit breaker that should trip if its overloaded, don't think I've ever managed to get it to trip , although I'm not completely silly (e.g I don't plug in 3Kw electric heaters)

jon

We have two Chinese made petrol generators at our "off grid" holiday cottage.

For years we had no electricity at all, we had gas lighting, cooking, refrigeration, and wood stoves for heating and water heating. We purchased "Wee Goh" 650w for 50 quid for some winter 230v lighting but found it invaluable to run a 700w electric drill and also surprisingly a circular saw for light cutting. When we built the solar system we bought "Willy Goh" 2.4kw to more reliably run the saw and a 1600w hammer drill with an extended clay spade for excavation in rotten rock.

Still use "Wee Goh" for running the drill beyond the reach of our extension cords and "Willy Goh" for the big drill. Circuit breakers do trip if a drill or blade jams but I am not sure that under sustained max load they would necessary trip before the "blue cloud" failure of the generator. As a devout coward I take my finger immediately off the trigger instead of relying on the breaker.

Cheers Don

yes those nasty little Chinese 2 stroke generators will run drills, grinders ect, their brush motors don't care what you feed them, even dc. If you over do it the breaker will trip anyway.

I had a similar problem in that the genny just hadn't quite enough grunt to start the drill initially. The answer was to "inch" the trigger rapidly on the drill to get it rolling. Worked fine once running :)

We had one that would only start power tools if you had a 100 watt lamp connected as well.

Yes I have done this ...I put too much load on it and it stopped functioning...the bit that fails is a diode in the centre of the rotor....outer screws and a long bolt down the centre as the gen/motor connection is on a taper..no front gen bearing then pull it apart and replace the diode ...there is room for two in parallel if you like ..all good now ...

Thanks for all the replies, I will try it and hiope for the best. The only problem is that it has never liked starting.

Mine became difficult to start and I found that the little exhaust was stuffed full of soot, the outlet becoming the size of a pinhole.

Mine became difficult to start and I found that the little exhaust was stuffed full of soot, the outlet becoming the size of a pinhole.

Starting probs on my cheapo Chinese 2 stroke were all down to cheapo Chinese spark (not) plug.

taslim.

We had one that would only start power tools if you had a 100 watt lamp connected as well.

Interesting. Resistive load tidying waveform possibly?

Power factor correction?

Edited by Guest

Taking on board other people's experience, I got the generator out today to try it out. Would it start? no it would not, I checked the exhaust for blockages, I cleaned the plug and checked it for a spark, which was very weak, and managed to jam the self return starter so had to dismantle that, but nothing worked.

I am off to the motor factors tomorrow to get a new (decent0 spark plug in the hope that it does the trick, however it did occur to me that the petrol may have gone off, which will not help. How long does petrol last unused? it has been in there for several years since I last used it.

How long does petrol last unused? it has been in there for several years since I last used it.

:lol:

just cleaning the spray of the screen...

I'd tip it out and put fresh in, try and force some fresh through to the carb also. If its a 2stroke the oil will have 'jellified' in the carb and blocked it, fresh new petrol soon clears that though.

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Our secondhand little Honda eu20i runs everything, even the massive victron 3000 bollox inverter. Its pulling its nuts out to supply 80 oddd amps charge but it still does it...amazing bit of kit. Well chuffed with it.

Edited by Evo

If any of these small carburetter devices,generators,lawn mowers,chain saws ect have petrol left in them and out of use for long periods will clog their main petrol jets up especially 2-strokes,petrol evaporates and gooy oil bungs up the jet.Since petrols been unleaded makes matters worse and leaves a brown coloured residue which blocks small jets.I had so much trouble years ago when unleaded was first introduced with car idling jets getting blocked especially Vauxhall's for some reason.

If any of these small carburetter devices,generators,lawn mowers,chain saws ect have petrol left in them and out of use for long periods will clog their main petrol jets up especially 2-strokes,petrol evaporates and gooy oil bungs up the jet.Since petrols been unleaded makes matters worse and leaves a brown coloured residue which blocks small jets.I had so much trouble years ago when unleaded was first introduced with car idling jets getting blocked especially Vauxhall's for some reason.

The other problem, that causes lumpy idle, not running without choke or difficult starting with generators left unused is aluminium corrosion blocking the very fine pilot jets.

If a downdraft carb,have a none fluffy rag handy,make sure spark plugs dry,pour about a large thimble full of petrol down the venturi,start it on full throttle, immediately whack a ball of rag onto the air intake,engine will be completely throttled,just before engine stops remove rag this treatment should have sucked the jets clean keep engine on full throttle and engine will pick up again and run normally,if not strip carb and clean the jet-s,normally a simple jet in the float bowl.

If a side or up draught carb put some petrol in a little spray or squirt bottle and do it that way.

All this outside mind not on the boat.

Fuel is definitely getting through to the combustion chamber as the plug is wet when I remove it. Of course the mixture could be wrong, but as this thing has never liked starting since it was new, I am putting my money on a crap Chinese spark plug. Why they recommend an NGK plug for a replacement, but fit some unknown one is beyond me. They probably recommend the NGK because they know that their cheapo thing will fail.

I may well look at the carbureter as well just in case, but it is getting to the stage where I will have had the whole thing in pieces, just to try and run a drill. I was told by someone that these little generators were brilliant value for the money, but the cynic in me should have known that something that is cheap is not usually a bargain.

Edited by David Schweizer

Fuel is definitely getting through to the combustion chamber as the plug is wet when I remove it. Of course the mixture could be wrong, but as this thing has never liked starting since it was new, I am putting my money on a crap Chinese spark plug. Why they recommend an NGK plug for a replacement, but fit some unknown one is beyond me. They probably recommend the NGK because they know that their cheapo thing will fail.

I may well look at the carbureter as well just in case, but it is getting to the stage where I will have had the whole thing in pieces, just to try and run a drill. I was told by someone that these little generators were brilliant value for the money, but the cynic in me should have known that something that is cheap is not usually a bargain.

This sounds like a weak spark or over choked. The magneto components under the flywheel may be damp. Take it indoors and warm it up for a few hours. It might have coil and battery ignition but i doubt it.

There's always the old hand drill.

When mines being obstinate then i find a good spray of easy start (if you can still get it) works wonders... I even managed to get it to fire on a parafin/petrol mix when I accidentally topped it up with parafin instead of petrol using easy start - wonderful stuff !(I know pretty stupid but serves me right for not marking the can more clearly)

I've a number of chinese 2 stroke powered things and my experience is you either get a good 'un or a piece of junk even from the same company such as Ryobi. Now if i buy one and its not a good starter when hot or cold i just take it straight back and swap it under warranty. suppliers like screwfix never quibble if you have the receipt.

of course if you buy a decent make in the first place... but you have to decide whether its worth paying 3 times the money ...

Oh and as bizzard says petrol priming often works

Edited by jonathanA

Get a secondhand Honda EX650. £150 tops.

I run all sorts of stuff on mine, even the wet vac which is rated at 1000w. It handles all my power tools no problem, though I haven't tried the 1200w skilsaw yet...

Bonus is it is still the quietest generator you can buy, though they are a bit heavy.