Boatman Stove question

Spacebar

Featured Posts

Hi I have a boatman stove.

I wondered why the glass gets black.

Does this mean its not burning cleanly?

IM getting lots of ash from smokeless coal.

Are there any tricks to keep it going through the night so I dont have to reset the fire in the morning starting over again with tinder ect?

thanks.

Try doing what my old Dad always did to the fire at home: empty the contents of the ashpan over the fire last thing at night and turn the control vent down. In the morning, give the fire a good poke to let the ash fall through the grate and turn the air control up. It worked in our house!

We have a boatman stove

Great little stove

We have ours on all the time

Before you think about calling it a night, all the coals are red, top up with lots of coal( called banking the fire) turn the air knob at the front to close, open again maybe. Turn,you will find you fire till going followin morning,nice and toasty.

Dig around with poker getting rid of the ash,open up the knob again.

You can have the fire on non stop, the trick is not let the old red coals disappear,or get too low, look after it and it will look after you.

If you let the fire get too low put wood on it ,open the knob, and as soon as poss get the coal on it.

Re the black glass, I think this gets like this if you have the knob on the front closed,wind it out a bit,improving air flow

Col

Why is it we all know the stove is bloody hot

Yet we still have ago at using a quick jerk of the finger to open or close the door, :rolleyes:

because we arnt going to use the poker that's sitting by the log burner.

Or am I the only sad muppet to keep up with this evening mission Lol

Or is this the brandy :cheers:

Col

IM getting lots of ash from smokeless coal.

Are there any tricks to keep it going through the night so I dont have to reset the fire in the morning starting over again with tinder ect?

thanks.

As long as the ash is white you have extracted all the energy you are going to get out of the fuel.

Don't expect to damp down the fire in the last 10 minutes before you go to bed. I can even keep a Premier going all night, despite its tiny firebox. The secret is to start early, say a couple of hours before bed, shutting dampers getting the fire to slow down so that by bedtime you have a controllable warm glow, not a raging fire.

George ex nb Alton retired

Agree with bigcol. Bank it up, close the air vent then turn it half a turn plus a little bit (35 minutes) and it will stay in all night. Our record for keeping the Boatman in is 19.5 hours, but it was only just in.

The glass does get black but I think this is due to only one air control instead of two. If required, a bit of wire wool once a week sorts this out.

Edited by Pickles2

We find that different fuels make a big difference to the amount our glass blackens. We are presently burning Excel which seems great. Little ash, easy to light, stays alight with little draught and the glass stays clean.

I see in WW that there is a new model of the Boatman with a secondary air control and a better handle. Looks as if it should be interchangeable with the old.

Regards

Pete

I see in WW that there is a new model of the Boatman with a secondary air control and a better handle. Looks as if it should be interchangeable with the old.

Regards

Pete

I have one of the 'New' Boatman stoves, and it does now have an airwash control in the top of the door, along with in internal baffle under the flue to stop the heat going straight up the chimney.

Stays in all night without effort, great little stove.

Tony

I have one of the 'New' Boatman stoves, and it does now have an airwash control in the top of the door, along with in internal baffle under the flue to stop the heat going straight up the chimney.

Stays in all night without effort, great little stove.

Tony

We have a stove (Charnwood) at home with an airwash control.It draws air in from the top back of the stove and encourages the flue gases to go straight up the chimney instead of depositing tar on the doors (we burn only wood).

You have NO IDEA the arguments it causes. With the airwash open, the fire burns more rapidly and more heat is lost up the chimney. With it closed, it is more efficient and will stay in all night even with inferior wood, but the doors are opaque after a few hours. My wife really likes to see the flames, but I don't give a damn about that and want to heat the room efficiently and use less wood (I gather, saw, chop and stack it).

If you have the original Boatman like mine they came with the front vertical bars only 2 bars high,not high enough in my opinion. This is standard grate material the same stuff as the bottom grate,well get another one and hacksaw,''Cast iron saws like butter''and saw off to make it 3 bars high.

Hi Bizzard

What I done with the 2 bars grille plate at the front, is to cut a small bit scrap steel, easily found laying around a boat yard, using grille as template put it together nut boat washes and then stove paint spray from tool station. 4.76 large can

Sorted. Ash don't fall out now

Marks out of 10 please??

:D

Col

Edited by bigcol

Hi Bizzard

What I done with the 2 bars grille plate at the front, is to cut a small bit scrap steel, easily found laying around a boat yard, using grille as template put it together nut boat washes and then stove paint spray from tool station. 4.76 large can

Sorted. Ash don't fall out now

Marks out of 10 please??

:D

Col

Good one Big Col, 10/10 A worthy wheese.Also you can make an angled baffle plate to direct heat forward around and up to heat the top more but i've not done it yet. :)