waxoyl

Featured Posts

This was the stuff we used to inject into our sills and under our wheel arches years ago when we ran BL Mini's and the like...

don't tell me it is still available....

Waxoyl.preview.jpg

OMG it seems it is..

how much coverage do you get with waxoyl ?

I need to do 12 sq meters of bottom plate, how much do i need ?

If your bottom plate is permanently dry inside do you need to use waxoyl or any other product? I am assuming you are wanting to coat the cabin bilge ..........

It is common to have the baseplate blacked prior to fit out. During the winter, and depending on how good your insulation is, condensation will find its way into the bilge. My boat is a 1983 build and the insulation doesn't quite stop the heat from reaching the steel. The condensation isn't excessive and I've had the floor up. The base plate is in good condition.

The condensation naturally runs to the back of the boat where I have a drain valve into the engine bay.

This was the stuff we used to inject into our sills and under our wheel arches years ago when we ran BL Mini's and the like...

don't tell me it is still available....

Waxoyl.preview.jpg

OMG it seems it is..

And in refillable cans by the looks of it. It worked for the car on the tin.

It was suggested to me that WAXOYL was suitable for underfloor rust proofing,so it had two good coats applied.

after a year or two the plate began to rust,as the boat is now 15 years old,the floor will be coming up next year for fertan,or similar, treatment.

I now think that blacking would have been more durable,and probably cheaper.

Do not do the inside of the hull unless you are certain that nothing will ever need welding to the outside- like Anodes or for repairs. Waxoyl is seriously flammable, even after the white spirit which thins the wax has evaporated, something which happens quite slowly in a boat.

N

Edited by BEngo

Do not do the inside of the hull unless you are certain that nothing will ever need welding to the outside- like Anodes or for repairs. Waxoyl is seriously flammable, even after the white spirit which thins the wax has evaporated, something which happens quite slowly in a boat.

N

Well said that man. Slightly off topic but some way relevant, as a kid I welded plates on the box sills of my (Waxoiled) Austin A35 to get it through an MOT & learned how to use a CO2 extinguisher. Very quickly.

taslim.

N

I heard that too, which is why I used Owatrol. You could mix this with bilge paint if you like. As far as I know there is no fire risk with Owatrol.

• 4 weeks later...

its dirty flamable stuff...hammer some red oxide about and dont waste your money on wax oil..its great for landrover chassis's but not for the interior of a boat..iv never seen a base plate rot from the inside out......

Well, you haven't seen much then.

It's a big problem on older boats. Including my own, but I reckon I have got to grips with it now.

I don't think Waxoyl is suitable for bilges. I painted my bilge with Waxoyl 12 years ago when the shell was new. The Waxoyl has dried out over that time and shrunk and pulled away from the surface, leaving a lot of surface rust underneath. I had to take up the whole floor and black it with bitumen - I wish I had done this to start with. It did give me the opportunity to insulate under the floor though!

N

Offering caution is good, but offering fact is better.

Try applying some to a piece of scrap plate and then weld on it and the truth will out.

No, when I tried it was freshly applied, - give it a go, you may be surprised!

I might just do that. I've recently used a fair bit behind the panelling (ceiling) in the fo'c'sle on the tug, drilled holes through the timber, sprayed Waxoyl, filled holes & painted over. I wasn't lying awake worrying about fire risk, but I'm be interested enough to experiment with it.

Tim

I might just do that. I've recently used a fair bit behind the panelling (ceiling) in the fo'c'sle on the tug, drilled holes through the timber, sprayed Waxoyl, filled holes & painted over. I wasn't lying awake worrying about fire risk, but I'm be interested enough to experiment with it.

Tim

It might be paraffin wax based,i don't know.