Photos and arty things

Circe

Featured Posts

I'm probably having a bit of a blonde moment with the search box. I remember a thread (I'm pretty sure I read it here when I first joined) where someone had either posted a link to, or posted some photos he'd taken. They were black and white ones and all of contemporary people on the waterways.

Does this ring any bells for anyone else? They were brilliant pics but I'm struggling to find them again.

While I'm being a nuisance, my daughter is doing GCSE Art and (no surprises) fancies doing canals and boats as part of her project on 'transport'. We're still quite new to boating, so wondered if anyone had any ideas of where or what might be good for her to start to look at. It's often the little bits that are the most interesting. Her art teacher is salivating at the thought of boat yards. I know virtually nothing about art, so I'm a real chocolate fireguard on this one!

She's pretty motivated so I'm sure she'll sort it out herself, but thought the combined knowledge here would be useful to ask as a starting point.

:)

I'm probably having a bit of a blonde moment with the search box. I remember a thread (I'm pretty sure I read it here when I first joined) where someone had either posted a link to, or posted some photos he'd taken. They were black and white ones and all of contemporary people on the waterways.

Does this ring any bells for anyone else? They were brilliant pics but I'm struggling to find them again.

While I'm being a nuisance, my daughter is doing GCSE Art and (no surprises) fancies doing canals and boats as part of her project on 'transport'. We're still quite new to boating, so wondered if anyone had any ideas of where or what might be good for her to start to look at. It's often the little bits that are the most interesting. Her art teacher is salivating at the thought of boat yards. I know virtually nothing about art, so I'm a real chocolate fireguard on this one!

She's pretty motivated so I'm sure she'll sort it out herself, but thought the combined knowledge here would be useful to ask as a starting point.

:)

it was on here, however, I can't make the search engine work as I can't remember his name. He has done another set recently of London boaters.

For some fab pictures of years gone by try Canal People by Sonia Rolt Well worth having the book anyway.

Also for an idea on the gcse part this link is to my website ignor the prices and take a look at the artwork the Subject is simply called roses and casles.My site

Hope this helps,

Terence

"A Canal People. The Photographs of Robert Longden" perhaps? Amazon

Looks like a fab book, Carl, but it's historic. The one I'd come across was very much modern day. (All the same, might be one for my Christmas wishlist!)

it was on here, however, I can't make the search engine work as I can't remember his name. He has done another set recently of London boaters.

Glad you remember it too. Had this dim worry I was hallucinating for a second :lol:

I remember a particularly nice one taken through a side hatch of a couple at a table. This is bugging me now...

For some fab pictures of years gone by try Canal People by Sonia Rolt Well worth having the book anyway.

Also for an idea on the gcse part this link is to my website ignor the prices and take a look at the artwork the Subject is simply called roses and casles.My site

Hope this helps,

Terence

That looks great Terrence. Thank you :) I'll give her the link.

I am always in awe of anyone who can paint. It's beyond me!

What fabulous photos! Always so dramatic in black-and-white. As an amateur photographer and keen walker of tow paths but new to your forum I haven't yet learnt how to attach photos but am going to try... For gcse art grossly enlarged detail often makes fantastic subjects; I take lots of photos of small objects seen at unusual angles. Your daughter can do this following a theme and then expand project into art work.

TaDaaH!!

Clicky

Wooohooo! That's definitely the chap - these are just great :D Thanks for finding them for me (now safely bookmarked!)

I will attach a photo...!

Quite often its good to do images in groups of threes e.g. the bow of a boat, then zoom into the bumper and then a real close up to just the knots but your daughter's teacher will have covered this aspect.

She's been talking about that, so it sounds like she's thinking of the right sort of things. Think we're going to go for a bit of a wander with the camera over the next few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what she comes up with.

Hello

A canal people by Robert Longdon. My profile picture shows me with family @ Braunston this year

a few of the faces will be recognised by some on the forum.

The Gentleman (second Left)is George Humphreys page 95 of said book,the lady on page 94 is his Mother yet

another of my Grandads sisters.

George is acc my dads cousin but he likes me to refer to him as my cousin & not uncle says it makes

him younger @ heart.

Hope this helps,

Terence

Sorry, :smiley_offtopic:

Hi Terence,

have you changed your email address?

We sent you a message of gratitude for the fine work performed on our barrel and cans, they were spot on and we're proud to display them on the boat.

Cheers,

Mike & Chrissie

Back on topic,

This thread reminds me of one early morning some months previous this year. We were moored close to the winding hole at lock 15 in Audlem, when during the late evening before, Roger Fuller tootled past in nb Ibex closely followed by the butty Ilford. He settled down for the night, both boats comfortably breasted up with crews tucked away in their respective cabins.

I awoke early, armed with my camera and trusty dog, in pursuit of a photo of the boats in a better light. As I approached, there was Roger at the helm of Ilford as it was rising in the lock chamber. Brilliant! I asked him if it would be ok to take some shots, to which he was pleased to agree. Then, as I raised the camera in anticipation, I noticed to my horror and embarrassment that I'd neglected to load the memory card before setting off.

What an absolute plonker! :wacko:

Mike

Edited by Doorman