Washing Machines

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

OK, so our "fantastic" electrician installed (before we knew anything about boats or electrics!) a "more than adequate" (in their words) inverter on our boat at 1600w..... This electrician knew we were a live-aboard and wanted a washing machine, decent vacuum etc but stated it should be fine... However, most washing machines i've seen are rated at around 1800w.

Is there anyway around this in terms of having a washing machine without having to replace the £600 inverter that we had installed just 3 months ago?

Laundrettes are OK but it is nice to have the convenience at home on the boat. I also don't want one of those toy looking twin tub things from MIdland Chandlers!

I was looking at this plug in Go Outdoors which you connect directly to shoreline and off the shoreline cable it gives you a three pin plug socket. Could I use that? I know it would be an inconvenience to keep unhooking the main shoreline cable from the boat and having just the washing machine on but its better than nothing? Just not sure if those plugs would work and operate a washing machine still?

The one I've seen is like this (but slightly different in the shop) : http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pennine-leisure-delta-3-socket-caravanning-mains-kit-p106504

What do you guys think?

OK, so our "fantastic" electrician installed (before we knew anything about boats or electrics!) a "more than adequate" (in their words) inverter on our boat at 1600w..... This electrician knew we were a live-aboard and wanted a washing machine, decent vacuum etc but stated it should be fine... However, most washing machines i've seen are rated at around 1800w.

Is there anyway around this in terms of having a washing machine without having to replace the £600 inverter that we had installed just 3 months ago?

Laundrettes are OK but it is nice to have the convenience at home on the boat. I also don't want one of those toy looking twin tub things from MIdland Chandlers!

I was looking at this plug in Go Outdoors which you connect directly to shoreline and off the shoreline cable it gives you a three pin plug socket. Could I use that? I know it would be an inconvenience to keep unhooking the main shoreline cable from the boat and having just the washing machine on but its better than nothing? Just not sure if those plugs would work and operate a washing machine still?

The one I've seen is like this (but slightly different in the shop) : http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/pennine-leisure-delta-3-socket-caravanning-mains-kit-p106504

What do you guys think?

Seems a very expensive way of going about getting an outdoor plug to domestic three pin socket adaptor.

What do you guys think?

Surely if you are on shoreline, the inverter rating is irrelevant? For when not on shoreline, bear in mind that the washing machine only uses its rated power when heating the "wash" water and not the many rinses. Your inverter would be fine for all aspects of the washer except the heater, so the solution is to disconnect the heater and arrange for the washer to fill from hot water for the wash cycle, switching to cold for the rinses (unless you don't mind using up all your hot water). To avoid washing in 80 deg water, it would be best to install a thermostatic mixer to fill at a sensible temperature, or just be careful to adjust the taps to get a reasonable temperature( cheaper but more fiddly.

Edited by nicknorman

I thought even though on shoreline though, it's still passing thru the inverter so you can only have the maximum rating of what your inverter is? Am I wrong? Im going to get that 2200w vacuum out and see if it works (before we were on shoreline it never did - it just kept cutting out!)

Can others confirm too?

What Nick said - if you are on shore power the output of your inverter is irrelevant, it will just draw power direct from the shore supply which as long as it is OK amps wise will be fine.

There are not many washing machines that will tolerate modified sine wave ac from an inverter because if their electronics anyhow. You do not say whether your 1600w is pure sine wave but possibe. Clockwork type controllers are happier. IIRC the Candy student washing machine that I have is no longer in production but 2nd hand do come up.

You may be able to use your current inverter if you can modify the washing machine you end up with by derating the heater element somehow.

I seem to remember some discussion about hot and cold fill being phased out (probably a European dictat) but on a narrowboat you want to use the hot waster from your caslorifier not the watts from your battery so avoid a cold fill only machine.

The electrician maybe calculated that the batts you have and alternator(s) could only service a 1600w inverter so that simply exchanging the inverter for one of greater capacity would not suffice in itself.

I thought even though on shoreline though, it's still passing thru the inverter so you can only have the maximum rating of what your inverter is? Am I wrong? Im going to get that 2200w vacuum out and see if it works (before we were on shoreline it never did - it just kept cutting out!)

Can others confirm too?

The inverter should be bypassed when on shoreline, physically by yourself or, by automatic switching

Can others confirm too?

The vac tripping the supply maybe down to you exceeding the supplies ampage, or a fault with the vac. - you need to check what the shore power ampage is - a lot are OK at 16 amps but some will be lower than this.

I seem to remember some discussion about hot and cold fill being phased out (probably a European dictat) but on a narrowboat you want to use the hot waster from your caslorifier not the watts from your battery so avoid a cold fill only machine.

I think it is nearly impossible to get hot and cold fill machines. Apart from anything else with modern powders and machines there is rarely a need for more than 40deg. Calorifier water can be 80 or so and could trash all the party frocks! But a bit of judicious plumbing and remembering to turn some taps after the initial wash fill sorts the problem.

What do you guys think?

Hi

As others have stated there are many ways round the problem to this and there are brand new washing machines still built that can cope without messing about. Our LG machine although very expensive and quite new and still being built and sold has Hot and Cold fill it also has several heat settings and a simple button to press for cold fill which insures the heaters never come on and the washing cycle then draws very little power. Its easy to modify plumbing or sometimes all we do is load the washing, put hot water in thro the door and switch on with the cold water button pressed, simples :D

As you know now, the shoreline will let you run your items. However, if you will be away from shoreline, a 1600 quasi will never run a normal washing machine due to it's wave, never mind it's power size. Your only option then, if not wanting to upgrade, is one of the blue twin tubs, or similar...they are 'clockwork' and will run on quasi sine. You were definately undersold for your needs off a landline.

There are other ways, such as a travel pack on the engine....but that really is an expensive option!

We have an old Zanussi with mechanical control and hot abd cold fill. The heater has been disconnected to keep power debabd under the 2000va of the inverter. To use it, the water must be hot from either the engine or the Eversplogger. I set to 95 deg wash and it takes in 100% from the hot fill. I guess when enough, turn off and change to 60 deg programme. It then fills with both hot and cold water. I then switch to the 40 deg wash program and it normally then continues automatically. It is a paun in the botty but it does run off my quash sine wave inverter. I dread the day when it is BER (beyond economic repair) since it is now IMPOSSIBLE to get hot and cold fill machines new in the UK.

If I am wrong please tell me where

Thanks guys - do any of you have those twin tubs. i do kinda want one for novelty value :captain: but know that will soon wear off but its killing me inside! i think they could be kinda cool.... they apparently spin better than automatic washing machines?

one of these maybe, we have something similar & it runs happily off our 1600w non pure sine inverter.

Thanks guys - do any of you have those twin tubs. i do kinda want one for novelty value :captain: but know that will soon wear off but its killing me inside! i think they could be kinda cool.... they apparently spin better than automatic washing machines?

We've got one and it's brilliant! You are right about the spinner. I'm sure you can find someone not too far away who would be willing to give a demo.

Dave

The one I've seen is like this (but slightly different in the shop) : http://www.gooutdoor...ins-kit-p106504

What do you guys think?

If you have got hot and cold fill then you might be able to set it to eco which will not electricaly heat the water. That might bring the power requirements down to below 600W.

Nick

That's the one I was looking at! What's is like using it though with you having to fill up manually and draining manually etc..... Tell m,e more!!!

Well, obviously more 'hands on' than an automatic but we are retired liveaboards with plenty of time on our handswink.gif

I use a bucket to fill & the drain hose is hung out of the side hatch. I spend on average 3 hours or so about once a week doing the laundry.

Since I discovered 'eco balls' it's quicker as no rinsing needed( & much less water used)

Our machine is actually bigger than the one in the link & takes a 6kg load which is brilliant, we used to have the studio candy auto but 2 pairs of jeans & it was full plus once we were cc'ing & off shore power it wouldn't work with our inverter & we were in the position you are, it was cheaper to get a twin tubwink.gif

im intrigued about these wash balls as i saw them before....do they actually work Julia? Do they make the clothes smell nice?! LOL

They dont smell of anything. They will struggle with "proper dirty greasey" stuff. I think they like a hot temperature. But with that said, my washing machine is years old, hot & cold fill, we have no hot water feed, the heating element doesnt work, & so it only ever gets cold water. If something is really dirty I will use detergent, & if I need a hot wash I will boil a couple of kettles full & tip that into the machine before I start.

Eco Balls thread

im intrigued about these wash balls as i saw them before....do they actually work Julia? Do they make the clothes smell nice?! LOL

I was a bit sceptical at 1st but as I was given some as a gift it seemed daft not to give them a go. My washing seems fine & I am converted, there is no perfumed smell so I sometimes just put a capful of conditioner in the water.

I have used the supplied stain remover a couple of times which worked ok.

Whites will gradually go off white I assume as no optical brighteners, I will probably give whites a soak in laundry bleach now & again but also intend to replace any 'whites' with 'coloureds' as things wear out & that will solve that problem wink.gif