Unnecessarily Inconsiderate Behaviour

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

:lol: I'm all in favour of the wording of the notice, but not the contact adhesive. Intentionally damaging boats is sacrilege, no matter who owns them. Once we go down that road where would it end?

Have a green one Mike...

anarchy on the waterways beckons...

If they can guarantee bouncing off and shaking up the occupants without damaging the boat then fair enough, but I wouldn't kick a dog because it's owner let it shit on the towpath - it's not the dog's fault. I thought we liked boats? Boats shouldn't be damaged intentionally.

So how do " THEY guarantee THEY are not going to spill a hot drink over somebody on board or cause a elderly person to fall or have a heart attack at their boat being hit.

You disagree with a tongue in cheek suggestion about a notice stuck on a boat with glue or poo saying "l thought we liked boats" but are more then happy for said boat to be hit without being able to have any guarantee to the out come of people on board.

Hmm maybe somepeople like people more and care for their welfare first before a boat .You and your cronies it would seem don,t

14Skipper

• Greenie 3

So how do " THEY guarantee THEY are not going to spill a hot drink over somebody on board or cause a elderly person to fall or have a heart attack at their boat being hit.

You disagree with a tongue in cheek suggestion about a notice stuck on a boat with glue or poo saying "l thought we liked boats" but are more then happy for said boat to be hit without being able to have any guarantee to the out come of people on board.

Hmm maybe somepeople like people more and care for their welfare first before a boat .You and your cronies it would seem don,t

14Skipper

Have a green one 14Skipper

stormforce

14Skipper

WELL DONT MOOR THE BLOODY BOAT WHERE ITS A DANGER , would you park your car on the M6 overnight ?

• Greenie 1

EDIT: Title should have course have read "Unnecessarily Inconsiderate Behaviour" - wouldn't it be nice to be able to correct title errors!

Following pictures taken at Apsley a couple of days ago.

The truly massive wide-beam, which has become a fixture in that area, has moved itself up to partially occupy the lower lock landing for the middle Apsley lock.

This is making it difficult for single handers to work the lock - even getting to the side beyond it is tough because of its extreme width.

Meanwhile a narrow boat that took up more or less permanent residence on the very limited supermarket moorings opposite for much of last winter, seems like it is now planning to do the same this winter.

However, (rather unusually), there are only a couple of other boats in this pound, and very adequate space to tie up a large number, without getting in anyone's way.

There are even rings available on some of it, to make legitimate mooring a doddle.

So, should the respective owners be reading this..... How about moving your boats to somewhere that makes life a bit easier for other boaters ?

We came through there on Sunday, luckily there was plenty of space behind them or it would have made life tricky. I dont think Ive ever seen that pound that empty. I do know a few people who hang around there and below the marina near Do Little have had letters and have moved (some not very far admitedly. That may explain all the space.

NOT IF PRICKS LIKE YOU are going to hit it.

14Skipper

OR INCONSIDERATE TOSSERS. "As pictured" moor up illegally .. :cheers:

Now now 14skipper...........you need to leave off the Fosters or add a little more lemonade, it makes you techy....... :rolleyes:

Hear Hear :cheers:

We shared some locks with "Ken's Free" in September. I'd suggest that being stationary for several months at a time is probably safer for everyone -- although of course it would be better if he'd found somewhere to do so legitimately.

I have to agree, he gave us a lovely long scrape when we we exiting a Berko lock in the summer, I dont think he realised he even hit us.

:help:

I wouldn't say its dangerous just inconvenient.

Laziness is often the cause of mooring in such places,to be near a road,shop or their car.Fishermen who fish on lock areas too,also too lazy to walk a little way along a towpath.

I think these are the main reasons for this behavior. bizzard.

14Skipper

I don't know, you'll have to ask THEM. Hitting the boat wasn't my suggestion and I didn't say I was happy for the boat to be hit. One of these :P generally means you are joking. If the boat was hit hard enough for someone fall over & have a heart attack we're talking about hitting them full on at ramming speed! Stop being such a drama queen!

If your suggestion about using contact adhesive was just tongue in cheek what are you getting so worked up about? All you had to do was say so. Thou doth protest too much...

Edited by blackrose

Looking at the photo of Zoe I would say he/she is moored at that precise place to get a signal for the sat dish as there is a gap in the trees in the direction which the dish is pointing, further back the trees are taller. Mind you I don't think this is a legitimate reason for mooring where it has but boaters moor in all sorts of strange places for all sorts of strange reasons. Whats your guilty pleasure ??

That's what I thought. Its certainly anti social to moor up for more than a few hours on the lock bollards, especially your ends are sticking out on a curve like Zoe's are. Does the owner think that by not using the bollards but a couple of nappy pins he is exempt from being moved off to a more social location?

I found this amusing as I came across the post...you want the Enforcement team to work here to move these boats on, yet you're defending the same over-stayers on the K&A via the "Living Afloat" post...slightly hypocritical...?

I am defending nobody.

If you actually read the whole of that thread you will see that I am one of the first to point out the hypocrisy of the OP and you would also know that I said that I believe that BW should take action against anyone who hogs Water points, Lock landings or formal moorings.

Your inability to read and understand is not evidence of my hypocrisy. :rolleyes:

My take on this is that whilst there are actually 3 lock bollards there, and strictly only the first has been rendered "out of use", it is actually surprisingly hard, given the layout there, (which my pics don't really show) to pull past "Zoe" and use the remaining space just short of the lock.

A longish boat can't secure by a centre line to that bollard just forward of "Zoe", as it's back will have insufficient space, and any boat pulling forward to secure on the one closest to the lock, (not shown) then has its front end pointed out across where paddles will get drawn, if the lock needs emptying, and will get washed all over the place.

In my pictures there is space behind "Zoe" that someone can currently pull up on, (although that is perfectly legitimate moorings, and could be occupied at any time).

But anyone pulling up there has nothing to tie up to.

The fact that this boat has been a continuous resident of this immediate area ever since delivered new is a completely different issue in my view.

Many people may well be content to live with continuous moorers, provided they don't make it hard for those who do want to move to do so.

However the current obstruction seems downright selfish, and to be quite indefensible, in my view.

So are you classing the OP on the other thread that is on a formal mooring, albeit a visitor one, that now they should be moving...you contradict yourself at a rapid rate... :P

There is no contradiction.

The OP (in the other thread) admits he flouts the law yet condemns others who do the same thing. That is hypocrisy, regardless of where he says he moors.

I believe there is a huge difference between overstaying on formal moorings/facilities and overstaying in the middle of nowhere, where ther is no demand for space. Your inability to grasp that simple fact does not make me a hypocrite, it merely demonstrates your ignorance.

I started this discussion with you because of your failure to understand the law and make glaring factual errors to support your standpoint.

I see now that it was a pointless exercise.

Edited by carlt

I wouldn't say its dangerous just inconvenient.

Mooring on a lock landing can be dangerous as it forces the to crew to get on and off at place that may not be suitable and even more so for a single hander.

Fortunately I've not yet seen it up here but if it was practised up here say on the likes of the River Aire or parts of the Trent it would render the lock landings useless unless you were able to scrabble across the offending boat.

Far from ideal.

I knew I had seen that boat Zoe before somewhere not in the flesh though... I now remember where it was-

She was featured in an article in Canal boat magazine about zero rate VAT for when purchasing a boat for residential purposes.

Link to article here

The article also names the original owner - though this of course may no longer be the case - she is a teacher and an artist apparently.

Edited by MJG

If its that much of a problem maybe someone should have a polite word or leave a polite letter that won't offend, explaining the issue. If they are new to the canals they may not realise how problematic their mooring is. By the sounds of it moving the boat back half or a boats length would suffice to ensure that those who do use the lock can do without difficulty.

After you are sure they are aware of the of the issue and fail to take action, couple of mudweights and move it to the centre of the cut :rolleyes:

That is said in jest and I would not encourage anyone to tamper with another persons boat, unless to rescue it

If its that much of a problem maybe someone should have a polite word or leave a polite letter that won't offend, explaining the issue. If they are new to the canals they may not realise how problematic their mooring is. By the sounds of it moving the boat back half or a boats length would suffice to ensure that those who do use the lock can do without difficulty.

After you are sure they are aware of the of the issue and fail to take action, couple of mudweights and move it to the centre of the cut :rolleyes:

That is said in jest and I would not encourage anyone to tamper with another persons boat, unless to rescue it

If it is still in the original owners possession (see my post above) it must have been on the water since at least July 2010 (the date of the article) so they have been on the system well over a year at least. But yes if it's no longer in the possession they may very well be newbies - but even on my first hire of a canal boat I knew that mooring on a lock landing was a 'no no' coz I'd read my boaters handbook.

I'm afraid I don't believe ignorance is an acceptable excuse.

I'm afraid I don't believe ignorance is an acceptable excuse.

Neither do I but we are all ignorant about somethings in life, and I was led to believe boaters help each other out. Therefore if someone politely explains to the owner, hopefully everyone can get on with enjoying life without any serious offence being caused.

Alternatively, someone could do something less considerate, put the owners back up and then have to wait for enforcement.

But hay ho, whatever floats your boat

:cheers:

I'm certain the b---ds are aware of it,for they MUST have seen people struggling to come and go in front of them.

Cut the b----y brute adrift.

Neither do I but we are all ignorant about somethings in life, and I was led to believe boaters help each other out. Therefore if someone politely explains to the owner, hopefully everyone can get on with enjoying life without any serious offence being caused.

Alternatively, someone could do something less considerate, put the owners back up and then have to wait for enforcement.

But hay ho, whatever floats your boat

:cheers:

I'm guessing the location doesn't have 'Mooring for lock operation only' signs as that would be even worse.

The other issue that mooring on a lock landing causes that I don't think has been mentioned is that it can cause boats to go aground.

Quite often lock landings are dredged but the areas beyond them are not meaning if you have to pass a landing to drop crew or pick them up you can find yourself in the 'shallows' and aground quite easily.

Edit coz I'm crap at proof reading my posts and I have a 'lazy' wireless keyboard.. :angry:

Edited by MJG

Mooring a bit back the bank seems straighter so why there? Maybe they can see the boat from there flat otherwise its a stupid anti-social place. Mind you I've had a few join me out in the country miles from anywhere and get so close I think they are going to ram us. The last that did it informed that we had a spot not overshadowed by trees which is what they wanted. Then they spent 20 minutes creeping ever closer until they were near touching - a right under a large low tree. (50 yards back either side of us there were large treeless gaps so figure it out.)

Mooring a bit back the bank seems straighter so why there? Maybe they can see the boat from there flat otherwise its a stupid anti-social place. Mind you I've had a few join me out in the country miles from anywhere and get so close I think they are going to ram us. The last that did it informed that we had a spot not overshadowed by trees which is what they wanted. Then they spent 20 minutes creeping ever closer until they were near touching - a right under a large low tree. (50 yards back either side of us there were large treeless gaps so figure it out.)

Doubtful if it's the original owner - according to the article I linked to she sold her home to buy the boat.