Help Identifying Boiats Or Locations, Please ?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

All these pictures relate to the same trip in Summer 1974.

We came into Birmingham from the B&F, ran up the New Main Line, through Netherton Tunnel, and failed to get down Dudley No 2 Canal, (being weed infested, and no adequate filter on our raw water cooling).

We went back to Old Turn again on the New Main Line, then out again via Farmers Bridge to the GU.

Not great pictures, (from an old Rollei 35mm compact, I think), but I'm interested to try and work out what some are.

First batch.....

Coming into Brum from B&F.

Looks familiar, but anybody know where ?

Kerbau_Birmingham_1_20.jpg

A mystery, (but unfortunately not very clear), Woolwich at Farmers Bridge. Any ideas ?

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_01.jpg

It can be seen again in the distance here....

I don't think it is "Chertsey", although that was known to be in that area around this time - I suppose it is not impossible ?

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_10.jpg

Any where is this, and what are the tugs ? It would appear to be before we got to Netherton, so maybe on the Main Line, (but doesn't look wide enough, or double towpathed ?).

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_07.jpg

This isn't Brum - we are well on our way away from Brum, probably past at least Knowle or Kingswood. The boat is Battersea, but I recall this as somewhere offside where there was a huge amount of off-cuts of discarded Formica (or similar), both in the Joeys, and on the bank, (I retrieved some to use on the boat, I think!).

But where is it ?

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_17.jpg

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_18.jpg

Did anybody on here have any connection with the boat "Friday" that is towing us, following gearbox failure ? I never really did get the chance to say hows grateful we were for being dragged quite a long way!

Depending on reaction to these, I might post a couple more later.

EDITED: As I got one image duplicated, and another missed out.

Edited by alan_fincher

All these pictures relate to the same trip in Summer 1974.

We came into Birmingham from the B&F, ran up the New Main Line, through Netherton Tunnel, and failed to get down Dudley No 2 Canal, (being weed infested, and no adequate filter on our raw water cooling).

We went back to Old Turn again on the New Main Line, then out again via Farmers Bridge to the GU.

Not great pictures, (from an old Rollei 35mm compact, I think), but I'm interested to try and work out what some are.

First batch.....

1st one is Aston flight, not sure which lock, maybe lock 4. Note Aston Uni on skyline.

1st one is Aston flight, not sure which lock, maybe lock 4. Note Aston Uni on skyline.

Brilliant - thanks - yes, that would certainly fit in.

Could it be the same boat as in this picture that I found on Flickr a while back?

356786582_11b8c158a3.jpg

gas street basin by ikkio_too, on Flickr

Almost certainly! - And a much better picture.

So.....

Woolwich - Wooden Cabin - No signwriting - Air cooled (Probably Petter ?).

Looking at other known pictures of Chertsey, (which feature the back cabin part painted perhaps in primer, and possibly the engine not in it), there are similarities, including a similar pump in the hold, and no cloths.

I wonder if Sarah ("Chertsey") is aware of thar Flickr picture, and whether she has a view.

Thanks!

I would say that is Aston Lock 7.

On the Bing Birds Eye View you can see the concrete base where the lockside building stood and the towpath bridge for the arm on the left. The cooling tower and the foot/cable bridges have gone.

This is a Google Streetview looking the other way.

David

Brilliant - thanks - yes, that would certainly fit in.

Almost certainly! - And a much better picture.

So.....

Woolwich - Wooden Cabin - No signwriting - Air cooled (Probably Petter ?).

Looking at other known pictures of Chertsey, (which feature the back cabin part painted perhaps in primer, and possibly the engine not in it), there are similarities, including a similar pump in the hold, and no cloths.

I wonder if Sarah ("Chertsey") is aware of thar Flickr picture, and whether she has a view.

Thanks!

The guy has a full length picture too...

357446181_1849902d8e.jpg

gas street basin by ikkio_too, on Flickr

I would say that is Aston Lock 7.

On the Bing Birds Eye View you can see the concrete base where the lockside building stood and the towpath bridge for the arm on the left. The cooling tower and the foot/cable bridges have gone.

This is a Google Streetview looking the other way.

David

Yep.

That looks right to me - many thanks.

(Changed just a bit, hasn't it ? :rolleyes: )

Any where is this, and what are the tugs ? It would appear to be before we got to Netherton, so maybe on the Main Line, (but doesn't look wide enough, or double towpathed ?).

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_07.jpg

I think this is on the New Main Line, just east of Bromford Road bridge, looking east. The bridge in the background is the bridge west of Bromford Stop.

The large building in the background is still there and can be seen on the Bing Birds Eye View

Since the nearest boat is loaded with rubbish, I would guess that these are Caggy Stevens / Stevens & Keay boats. Could the tug be the Judith Ann?

David

Edited by David Mack

I think this is on the New Main Line, just east of Bromford Road bridge, looking east. The bridge in the background is the bridge west of Bromford Stop.

The large building in the background is still there and can be seen on the Bing Birds Eye View

Since the nearest boat is loaded with rubbish, I would guess that these are Caggy Stevens / Stevens & Keay boats. Could the tug be the Judith Ann?

David

David,

I think that looks right too - you are good at this......

I only took a relatively small number of pictures, (too poor at the time, and colour film and processing too expensive!), so it is hard to tell a lot from previous and next photos.

In this case though, "previous" is Bromford Junction, looking up Spon Lane locks, and "next" is Northern portal of Netherton. If this is an Eastward view, I may have taken it from the back of the boat, which is certainly how the previous picture, (which would have been soon before that) was taken.

Not Sure about Judith Ann - the tug prominently in the pictures seems to have almost no visible gunwale at the cabin, with the cabin sides coming very near the hull side. Looking for pictures of Judith Ann, it did seem to have narrow gunwales, but I'm not convinced as narrow as those in that picture.

David,

I think that looks right too - you are good at this......

As a teenager in the mid 70s, and living in the midlands, I walked and boated a lot of the BCN at that time (although I photographed very little for much the same reasons as you). Views from that time have a firmer grip on my memory than more recent trips...

David

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_17.jpg

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_18.jpg

I first though this was just above Knowle, but I can't find anywhere that fits. Could it be the bend immediately east of the former Calcutt railway bridge just here? The angle of the field boundaries in the second photo would fit. The area behind the dense hedge/trees to the right would be the disused railway.

David

The tug is definately Judith Ann, you can just make out the start of the very long swim, and detail of the unique triangular engine room slides. I suspect the gunnels look narrower due to shadows on the day.

Alan, do you mind if we save a copy of the image for personal use only, as we chart her history?

Regards,

Dan

David

I can confirm that is "Judith Anne" on the outside and the "Caggy" on the inside.

Come on now, don't be a tease. Bung them all up, even if you know where they are. They're fascinating

Richard

OK,

A few more.....

Some not terribly interesting, but long enough ago, I have little idea where some are!.....

(These films were damaged by the processors, hence random black "leaves" or "birds" floating around in some!).

Atherstone, possibly ?

Kerbau_Birmingham_1_11.jpg

And maybe again ???? (Note towpath grass).

Kerbau_Birmingham_1_13.jpg

Glascote ??

Kerbau_Birmingham_1_15.jpg

Farmers Bridge.

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_.jpg

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_00.jpg

Engine Arm Aqueduct, (Towpath growth, again).

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_04.jpg

Galton "tunnel" being constructed just beyond Galton Bridge. (Towpath state, yet again!).

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_05.jpg

Help me out here!!!

We have left Birmingham for the return trip. I thought we came out on the GU via Knowle, but this doesn't look like anything I can associate with that, (not Farmers Bridge or Ashtead, surely ???).

I think we must actually have come out via the W&B and the Northern Stratford, (I think this has to be somewhere at Lapworth ???).

My memory, hey!

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_11.jpg

I think we must actually have come out via the W&B and the Northern Stratford, (I think this has to be somewhere at Lapworth ???).

My memory, hey!

Definitely Lapworth just above the junction.

Edited by IanM

I first though this was just above Knowle, but I can't find anywhere that fits. Could it be the bend immediately east of the former Calcutt railway bridge just here? The angle of the field boundaries in the second photo would fit. The area behind the dense hedge/trees to the right would be the disused railway.

Yes,

I'm now doubtful we came through Knowle!

I didn't think we were still being towed as far up as Calcutt, but it looks like we must have been.

It's Kingswood, the last lock on the North Stratford before you decide if you're going straight on down the Stratford or into the diagonal lock for the link

Richard

MORE: Beaten to it

Edited by RLWP

The tug is definately Judith Ann, you can just make out the start of the very long swim, and detail of the unique triangular engine room slides. I suspect the gunnels look narrower due to shadows on the day.

Alan, do you mind if we save a copy of the image for personal use only, as we chart her history?

Thanks - of course - no problem!

I can confirm that is "Judith Anne" on the outside and the "Caggy" on the inside.

Thanks Laurence.

Kerbau_Birmingham_1_11.jpg

Curdworth, on the way up to Tamworth from Brum?

Richard

No!

We definitely only came into Brum on the B&F, so would have been going uphill at Curdworth.

The one that follows it in the sequence I have posted looks to me to be Glascote, the bridge being where Steve "stick on rivet" now operates, (I get told off if I put his actual name in too many threads), I think, so the one you are commenting on must be Atherstone, I think.

The last batch of pictures posted are, I believe, in progressive order of a journey from the Coventry to Windmill End, then turning and coming back out by (I know acknowledge!), the W&B and Stratford.

EDITED TO ADD:

You are all very polite, by the way!

Nobody has commented on the hotch-potch cabin that was originally on our boat "Kerbau", and in particular its boxy appearance, (an early prototype for "East West" boats), or its rather unique roofing felt layer on top, (complete with galvanised roofing tacks).

Edited by alan_fincher

It's Kingswood, the last lock on the North Stratford before you decide if you're going straight on down the Stratford or into the diagonal lock for the link

Richard

MORE: Beaten to it

Got that one too (but not sure abouth the Atherstone(?)/Glascote(?) ones)!

Changed a bit now since BW built a bridge across the lock tail - presumably to service the moorings in the lower basin.

2nfg_0.jpg

(Photo from here).

David

I would gues the tug on the inside of Judith Anne was the Caggy - I don't think any other tugs were working around the BCN in 1974 (aparts from perhaps at Coombeswood and in Matty's fleet)

There was a contract in the Warwick area held by Caggy Stevens to remove waste from a furniture factory for burning in a field. It was subcontracted to Clive Stevens and also to Mark hotham with the royalty motor Prince.

The tug on the towpath at farmer's Bridge is I suspect, judging from the front windows, Roger Hatchard's Canal transport Services tug "Hasty." The boat is the background moored against the Woolwich motor looks like the tug Atlantic when in BW service.

Characterful cabin on your boat Alan - would look a treat on Sickle.

Paul

Characterful cabin on your boat Alan - would look a treat on Sickle.

Paul

Yes,

I could explain, (no picture really shows the full extent of the problem!...)

Kerbau_Birmingham_2_04.jpg

The original conversion was done, (we were told) circa 1960. Simple not very heavyweight framing. T&G boards (not very thick!) for roof, with standard shed felt on top. Sides originally just 1/2" exterior ply.

No insulation or further lining at all - it really wasn't more than a shed.

At the back, it originally had a Petrol / Paraffin engine under decked boards, with wooden "wings" at each side. (I just realise I should have nominated it in the "first semi-trad" thread, as that is effectively what it must have been).

When the diesel was put in, they built those "wings" up to make it "trad", other than it had a curious slope to the back of the cabin. A huge void was introduced between engine room and main cabin, stuffed with lagging, to try and reduce noise inside, (it hadn't worked! :lol:)

As bits of the cabin at gunwale level had rotted, they had added the lower boards, making gunwale walking very hazardous. The bit where the sound barrier was had rotted badle enough that we cut out a 4 foot length each side, and put in new ply, no longer needing the board at the bottom.

We were then forced to add a layer of Masonite over much of the original structure, so the attractive exterior "beading" is both covering the joins, and holding that on.

Because the engine room was so bad, it was left in the original owners blue, pending rebuilding, and only the front had expensive Woolworth's Household red lavished on it!

Eventually I decided I could live with it no longer, and rebuilt it in the way that has featured in previous posts......

Kerbau_Recabin.jpg

Kerbau_Lift.jpg

Kerbau_Sold.jpg

Although the boat had an "ugly as hell" Harris Brother's back end, I always liked the bow shape, although it is surprising how much smaller these boats were than say a "Town". (IIRC this was Nutfield"). (From same 1974 trip).

Kerbau_Birmingham_1_08.jpg

Back on topic.

What would have operated with "Kildare" then. I think this was on the B&F. EDIT: On reflection, it must be on the Coventry, actually!

Kerbau_Birmingham_1_14.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher