Services on rhe Nene

Theo

Featured Posts

Came down on to the Nene this morning armed with a license and the latest EA Guide for river users. The guide contains a map which, among other things, I find rathe too small a scale, being used to Nicholson's.

The main issue is with the moorings that are detailed on the map. They don't appear to exist. These are the ones that I have looked for:

1. A short distance below the lock marked on the EA map as Northampton Lock. The moorings marked are actualy only for disabled users unless you are using the pumpout/elsan etc facilities. These are not mentioned on the map at all.

2. There are emergency moorings above Weston Favell locks which are not marked.

3. The visitor moorings below the lock we did not see at all.

4. We searched for the moorings at Billing Lock to no avail.

5. As far as we could tell there were neither moorings nor ervices anywhere near Cogenhoe Lock.

These facilities don't seem to be where they are on the map so where should we be looking?

Nick

Came down on to the Nene this morning armed with a license and the latest EA Guide for river users. The guide contains a map which, among other things, I find rathe too small a scale, being used to Nicholson's.

The main issue is with the moorings that are detailed on the map. They don't appear to exist. These are the ones that I have looked for:

1. A short distance below the lock marked on the EA map as Northampton Lock. The moorings marked are actualy only for disabled users unless you are using the pumpout/elsan etc facilities. These are not mentioned on the map at all.

5. As far as we could tell there were neither moorings nor ervices anywhere near Cogenhoe Lock.

These facilities don't seem to be where they are on the map so where should we be looking?

Nick

1) Floating pontoons located in local Park (Midsummer Common), 1 mile east of Northampton Town Lock, Water and Waste point located north side of the river ½ mile downsteam of the lock.

2) It is marked on my EA map, These mooring can be used April to October for overnight use.

3) You use a spare club mooring (Speak to one of the members.

4) The moorings are in the Marina (Left at the bridge and down passed the back of the pub.

5) A pleasant rural spot opposite a large caravan site, just before the lock. Moor long side the bank, and insure that your mooring stakes are well hammed in. Cogenhoe has no shops, and it is a 10 Minute walk up the hill to the village pub, the Royal Oak.(Use of the field bank is by agreement with the landowner this is the case with a number of the moorings on the nene) Services (loos, Showers, Shop) at the caravan site next to the lock.

The following are a few good mooring sites

Wellingborough Embankment 11 ¼ miles 13 locks

The moorings here are located in a riverside park,

½ mile south of Wellingborough town centre, The moorings are stoned faced with mooring posts. There is a retail park over the other side of the roundabout which includes a supermarket. Two pubs can be found nearby. The railway station is 1 mile away (Direct trains to London, Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield). The town has a range of shops on offer in the 'Swansgate' Shopping Centre. As well as many notable buildings to explore.

Irthlingborough 16 ½ miles 16 locks

The town of Irthlingborough is in the heart of Northamptonshire. It's the home of the Rushden and Diamond Football Club. There are good moorings here with room for many boats. The moorings can be a bit noisy on match days. There are no shops or pubs nearby.

Denford 22 ¾ miles 20 locks

A grass bank on both sides of the river above the lock, a gangplank may be required. There are no shops in Denford. The pub “Cock Inn” is located on the east side of the village.

Thrapston 23 ½ miles 21 locks

At the Nine Arches Bridge the pronunciation of the River Nene changes. From the source of the river it's pronounced as the 'nen'. Downstream of this bridge it's pronounced as the 'neen'. The moorings are located on the northside bank upstream of the bridge, it is a grass bank so you may need to use the gangplank, A range of shops can be found in Thrapston with a market on Tuesday. The best pub for food is the 'Woolpack' in the village of Islip (15 mins)

Wadenhoe 28 ½ miles 23 locks (W,S,PO)

King's Head Pub is a popular stop for boaters. The Village Store and Post Office is located on Aldwincle Road.

Ashton Mill 34 miles 27 locks

A quiet mooring located next to lock on the mill stream. The mooring has a grass face . 15 minutes walk to east is the village of Ashton, Where the 'Chequered Skipper' Pub can be found, There are no shops.

A 20 minutes walk away is the market town of Oundle which is delightful. The town centre is built of local Jurassic limestone with roofs of Collyweston slate. The 13th century parish church, with its spire, is striking. There is also a renowned public school, and the girls and boys can be seen shopping in town, in their traditional uniforms. Oundle has no serious supermarket, but there are banks and lots of useful shops - including excellent butcher, delicatessen and bakers. The City of Peterborough is 40 minutes away by bus (X4).

Fotheringhay 39 ¼ miles 30 locks

The moorings here are pleasant and quiet. There is a small overnight charge, which should be paid at the Castle Farm Guest House. The 'Falcon' pub is known for its food (15 mins). There is record of a wooden castle built at Fotheringhay in about 1100. It was rebuilt later in stone, and then enlarged in the 14th century. It was of the "Motte and Bailey" type, with the main entrance on the north side. Fotheringhay Castle was where Richard III was born in 1452, and also where Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded in the Great Hall in 1587. It was pulled down in 1635

There is a useful water point hidden next to the bridge.

Nene Valley Railway, Next to Wansford Station (Floating pontoons)

There are also a number of clubs and marinas as well

At Elton lock, The use of the bankside is no longer allowed due to the actions of some.

That should be it, One last thing don`t just moor anywhere, some of the landowners have guns.

Firesprite

In the Fens

Edited by nbfiresprite

Nick

Hi

As on many rivers - in you can get into the side - its a mooring

We actually tied the centre rope to an overhanging tree for one night's mooring on the Nene - not a problem as long as you don't need to get off the boat.

Alex

Hi

As on many rivers - in you can get into the side - its a mooring

We actually tied the centre rope to an overhanging tree for one night's mooring on the Nene - not a problem as long as you don't need to get off the boat.

Alex

On rivers the banks are privately owned, You may yourself on the wrong end of a shotgun, Law of trespass applies. Even if you tie to a tree.

Firesprite

In the Fens

On rivers the banks are privately owned, You may yourself on the wrong end of a shotgun, Law of trespass applies. Even if you tie to a tree.

Firesprite

In the Fens

Hi

I honestly can't see a farmer getting all shot gun about a boat being moored on his field for one night - even if he noticed it

Alex

• Greenie 1

Hi

I honestly can't see a farmer getting all shot gun about a boat being moored on his field for one night - even if he noticed it

Alex

It has happen and will happen again. We have one loony farmer just to the east of March on the south bank. I stopped to go down the weed hatch, Few mins later a gun went off the SOB demanded I move. In the eyes of a gamekeeper or farmer your up to no good (Nicking a few of his game birds)(Nicking his crops). few weeks back I passed a boat which had moored on bank next to a field of spuds. Where was the crew, Digging up spuds.

Firesprite

In the Fens

1) Floating pontoons located in local Park (Midsummer Common), 1 mile east of Northampton Town Lock, Water and Waste point located north side of the river ½ mile downsteam of the lock.

2) It is marked on my EA map, These mooring can be used April to October for overnight use.

4) The moorings are in the Marina (Left at the bridge and down passed the back of the pub.

5) A pleasant rural spot opposite a large caravan site, just before the lock. Moor long side the bank, and insure that your mooring stakes are well hammed in. Cogenhoe has no shops, and it is a 10 Minute walk up the hill to the village pub, the Royal Oak.(Use of the field bank is by agreement with the landowner this is the case with a number of the moorings on the nene) Services (loos, Showers, Shop) at the caravan site next to the lock.

½ mile south of Wellingborough town centre, The moorings are stoned faced with mooring posts. There is a retail park over the other side of the roundabout which includes a supermarket. Two pubs can be found nearby. The railway station is 1 mile away (Direct trains to London, Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield). The town has a range of shops on offer in the 'Swansgate' Shopping Centre. As well as many notable buildings to explore.

The town of Irthlingborough is in the heart of Northamptonshire. It's the home of the Rushden and Diamond Football Club. There are good moorings here with room for many boats. The moorings can be a bit noisy on match days. There are no shops or pubs nearby.

A grass bank on both sides of the river above the lock, a gangplank may be required. There are no shops in Denford. The pub “Cock Inn” is located on the east side of the village.

At the Nine Arches Bridge the pronunciation of the River Nene changes. From the source of the river it's pronounced as the 'nen'. Downstream of this bridge it's pronounced as the 'neen'. The moorings are located on the northside bank upstream of the bridge, it is a grass bank so you may need to use the gangplank, A range of shops can be found in Thrapston with a market on Tuesday. The best pub for food is the 'Woolpack' in the village of Islip (15 mins)

King's Head Pub is a popular stop for boaters. The Village Store and Post Office is located on Aldwincle Road.

A quiet mooring located next to lock on the mill stream. The mooring has a grass face . 15 minutes walk to east is the village of Ashton, Where the 'Chequered Skipper' Pub can be found, There are no shops.

A 20 minutes walk away is the market town of Oundle which is delightful. The town centre is built of local Jurassic limestone with roofs of Collyweston slate. The 13th century parish church, with its spire, is striking. There is also a renowned public school, and the girls and boys can be seen shopping in town, in their traditional uniforms. Oundle has no serious supermarket, but there are banks and lots of useful shops - including excellent butcher, delicatessen and bakers. The City of Peterborough is 40 minutes away by bus (X4).

The moorings here are pleasant and quiet. There is a small overnight charge, which should be paid at the Castle Farm Guest House. The 'Falcon' pub is known for its food (15 mins). There is record of a wooden castle built at Fotheringhay in about 1100. It was rebuilt later in stone, and then enlarged in the 14th century. It was of the "Motte and Bailey" type, with the main entrance on the north side. Fotheringhay Castle was where Richard III was born in 1452, and also where Mary Queen of Scots was beheaded in the Great Hall in 1587. It was pulled down in 1635

At Elton lock, The use of the bankside is no longer allowed due to the actions of some.

That should be it, One last thing don`t just moor anywhere, some of the landowners have guns.

Firesprite

In the Fens

Lots of sefl stff here. thanks Firesprite.

As I am writing I am moored at Wellingborought just downstream of the Mills Road Bridge. The moorings are excellent .

But...

The map says there is a water point. I have walked all arond the park and found none. It's an EA map and shold be right.

The moorings are not marked on the ground and it appear from what you say that the moorings are not necessarily even on the same side of the river as the symbol on the map. I can't avoid being shot by the very fierce farmers unless I have more accurate and detailed information. EA can do it on the Avon, why not here?

Nick

Whilst at bit off topic as the OP has asked specifically about the Nene, how does this really work.

When we were on the Thames at the end of August the lock keeper where we bought our license said about mooring, "you can moor anywhere on either side as long as it is not obviously someones garden or there are not any no mooring signs". What is that makes the Thames different in this respect? This means the Thames (at least above Oxford) has plentiful moorings, which was a concern of mine based on previous comments on here about having to find a mooring by mid afte noon as there were in short supply.

Is that still true? As I understand it there was a group of particularly antisocial boaters who travelled the length of the river last year, staying at each location until they were forced to move and causing a variety of problems while they were there. We passed them on the Nene while they were completely occupying some 48-hour EA moorings, and I believe we saw a couple of the group a few weeks later on the Middle Level. In their wake a number of places displayed "No mooring" signs for a while, including for example Elton and Cogenhoe, but by later in the year the signs had all gone and I was told that both Elton (where we did not stop) and Cogenhoe (where we did stop, as always) were now perfecty happy to allow transit mooring.

Is that still true? As I understand it there was a group of particularly antisocial boaters who travelled the length of the river last year, staying at each location until they were forced to move and causing a variety of problems while they were there. We passed them on the Nene while they were completely occupying some 48-hour EA moorings, and I believe we saw a couple of the group a few weeks later on the Middle Level. In their wake a number of places displayed "No mooring" signs for a while, including for example Elton and Cogenhoe, but by later in the year the signs had all gone and I was told that both Elton (where we did not stop) and Cogenhoe (where we did stop, as always) were now perfecty happy to allow transit mooring.

Andy Hall who is one of the river inspectors, told me this was still the case earlier in the year. The ant-social group almost cleared out the most of the game birds around Elton Lock, hence the ban. The middle level have service notice on the two boaters you saw to leave the Middle levels. It is always the few who wreck it for the many.

Firesprte

In the Windy Fens

Lots of sefl stff here. thanks Firesprite.

As I am writing I am moored at Wellingborought just downstream of the Mills Road Bridge. The moorings are excellent .

But...

The map says there is a water point. I have walked all arond the park and found none. It's an EA map and shold be right.

The moorings are not marked on the ground and it appear from what you say that the moorings are not necessarily even on the same side of the river as the symbol on the map. I can't avoid being shot by the very fierce farmers unless I have more accurate and detailed information. EA can do it on the Avon, why not here?

Nick

Try the loo block

Firesprite

In the windy Fens

Threatening with a gun is a much more serious offence than trespass (which is a civil matter anyway) and should be reported to the police.

He only fired the gun, not point a loaded gun at me, anyhow he tell the police that he was shooting pests (In his eyes that may include people mooring on his land), I tend not to stop and argue with anyone packing heat. We no longer have a police force in Cambridgeshire, It became the Cambridgeshire Crime Data Collection Service.

Firesprite

In the Windy Fens

Special rules apply in the Fens - 12 bore issued to all of secondary school age, serious armour Exorcets etc.come when you register to vote. You are only safe if you are a friend of John Shotbolt or more importantly Lyn herself. Yee Ha!

So Private Bear are you one of the crews of the T54's or have they let you have a go with SS20 launcher in the Fenland Militia, So you can encourage a well known lady boater from the Wolds to keep her speed down on the Great River.

Any how don't you have to be a member of the masons get in Bill Fen's.

Firesprite

On night duty in the office

Edited by nbfiresprite

• 3 weeks later...

Having just come back from the nene,grt ouse and cam area, I found that when taking on water,that it was difficult to get the thing to unscrew again, when we filled at earith, someone had cut their hose and left the end still screwed on, but when I went to unscrew it , it came off very easily, but after I filled up, I then couldnt inscrew mine, and had to cut my hose, and then use the one that was left on earlier to renew mine. Exactly the same scenario happened at cambridge jesus lock,although , I was able to to get mine off again, and this time used the screw left there as it was a better silver screw and was able to use there jubillee clip.So I summise that after filling up the thing must swell for a bit afterwards, but then shrink to original size making it easier to then undo. Never noticed this anywhere before,cant be a case of doing up too tight as after a while it is then easy to unscrew. Just weird and an observation if anyone has the same problem..

Firesprite

In the Fens

Elton looks to be on again now, we have used it twice this year and there have always been boats there when we passed.

Thrapston we got in close, handy for the water point

Special rules apply in the Fens - 12 bore issued to all of secondary school age, serious armour Exorcets etc.come when you register to vote. You are only safe if you are a friend of John Shotbolt or more importantly Lyn herself. Yee Ha!

I couldn't get a mooring there

Andy Hall who is one of the river inspectors, told me this was still the case earlier in the year. The ant-social group almost cleared out the most of the game birds around Elton Lock, hence the ban. The middle level have service notice on the two boaters you saw to leave the Middle levels. It is always the few who wreck it for the many.

Firesprte

In the windy Fens

There are some in March opposite the pumpout who were there this week over two days and were there last time we passed. Of course they may have left soon as we passed and have just come back

Hi

Alex

I can and the same on the Broads in places. They see boaters as a pain in the you know what, especially ones with kids or dogs

There are some in March opposite the pumpout who were there this week over two days and were there last time we passed. Of course they may have left soon as we passed and have just come back

Yes these two wrecks, The notices have been served on them and they are now hiding behind the Human Rights Act.

Firesprite

Back in the very windy Fens