House letting

weeble

Featured Posts

What you did is illegal and that is it..........if you can not take the heat as a landlord then you should not be one.

Take the heat..?

I'm not really with you..?..I think I take the heat (and the money) very well !!

We would all love to be 'legal'..but we are the ones who would be arrested when we hit a burglar on the head...

I'm sure..that if you had been mugged when in South America..you wouldn't fight back..you would look for a solicitor and send the muggers a jolly stern letter !!

I wanted access to a house..

I had already sent a locksmith...accompanied by a respected representative from the letting agency...

The doors were deliberately blocked...and I did not get access and then had fees from an abortive locksmith visit...

The agent phoned me at 5pm that evening...saying he was out of ideas..

I had 'access' by 9 am the following morning...

I could have sent...solictors letters...wonder how long that would take.??.. how much notice they would take...and how much damage would have happened in the meantime!!

I do know how you feel.

Just call me...impulsive... B)

That wasn't exactly the word i was thinking of.

I was lucky with 2 of my 3 bad tenants. I wrote to them, asking them to leave and they were gone by the weekend.

The drug dealer was a different matter. I went through the legal process and even dropped off a set of keys, at the police station, with the information that he was dealing smack and running a brothel, from the address, but they said that they couldn't search the premises without evidence.

The main problem was that he never once missed a rent payment so, apart from terrorising the neighbours, he was a model tenant.

When he finally went to prison his girlfriend was left in the flat, with no means to pay the rent (she wasn't a willing prostitute).

I packed her stuff up, for her, and drove her back to her parents house in Ipswich (They thought she was happily getting on with her college course) and gave her the flat deposit to get her back on her feet, despite the damage.

Had I taken up my financial advisor's offer to "Send some associates in to solve the problem" the girl would have probably ended up on the streets, or dead, and the bloke's uncle (referee and guarantor) might not have been so inclined to write out a cheque covering the full amount for getting the flat sorted and offering a compensatory gift for the other folk in the building.

That wasn't exactly the word i was thinking of.

I packed her stuff up, for her, and drove her back to her parents house in Ipswich (They thought she was happily getting on with her college course) and gave her the flat deposit to get her back on her feet, despite the damage.

Had I taken up my financial advisor's offer to "Send some associates in to solve the problem" the girl would have probably ended up on the streets, or dead, and the bloke's uncle (referee and guarantor) might not have been so inclined to write out a cheque covering the full amount for getting the flat sorted and offering a compensatory gift for the other folk in the building.

Well..you have bought your place in heaven haven't you.

You won't get rich like that.

if I was to 'Drive people back to parents etc'...how much does that cost..?

I figure...driving back....£50 and hour at least..plus petrol.

I suppose if you have nothing else to do with your life...go on and do that...

You can do lots of driving about...and fill your life with work...if you do it for nothing.

Your diary...will be full..and your rental properties...will be trashed and owing you money.

And yes..I did lots of things with Nicky Hoogstraten in the 1970/1980s..

He was OK...knew how to make money...and was only brought down by crumbs who ran about doing good..

By the way...he is no more...as he changed his name..to Adolph Van Hessen..?...if I recall rightly..!!

Its like aligators and swamps...the name of the game is to get money...not to be nice to people..

The original intention...is to drain the swamp...NOT to fight aligators !!

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

I could have sent...solictors letters...wonder how long that would take.??.. how much notice they would take...and how much damage would have happened in the meantime!!

"I could abide by the law of the land that is there for a good reason, but it's easier and more convenient for me to strongarm those in a position of weakness who are unlikely to be able or willing to fight back..."

Wow.

As if I would live in those pits!

Wow.

You won't get rich like that

Frankly, there's more to life than money and it's a sad thing to hear of a person who thinks that happiness can be bought at the cost of behaviour like that.

As a woman who only last month stood up in the witness box of Kingston Crown Court giving evidence against my prior landlord and his adult son who (totally unprovoked, I might add) used a machete to threaten me on the doorstep of my own home to leave that night (for his personal reasons and not down to anything I had done as a tenant- as if there is anything that would justify behaviout like that anyway) I think that you are morally reprehensible.

Enjoy the rewards of your behaviour while it lasts, because nobody gets away with living their life like that forever.

You can't put a price on having a clear conscience, personally I wouldn't sleep at night if I conducted myself as you seem to, obviously you are happy with yourself, but one thing to remember-

Karma is a malicious bitch with a long memory...

And also think on that today's poor students living with few choices who are a soft target for slum landlords and bullies, often use their education to become powerful, well connected professionals with friends in high places and fingers in many pies!

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 2

if I was to 'Drive people back to parents etc'...how much does that cost..?

I figure...driving back....£50 and hour at least..plus petrol.

I suppose if you have nothing else to do with your life...go on and do that...

You can do lots of driving about...and fill your life with work...if you do it for nothing.

Your diary...will be full..and your rental properties...will be trashed and owing you money.

And yes..I did lots of things with Nicky Hoogstraten in the 1970/1980s..

He was OK...knew how to make money...and was only brought down by crumbs who ran about doing good..

By the way...he is no more...as he changed his name..to Adolph Van Hessen..?...if I recall rightly..!!

Its like aligators and swamps...the name of the game is to get money...not to be nice to people..

The original intention...is to drain the swamp...NOT to fight aligators !!

bob

I guess the brighton and hove references gave away the Van Hoogstraten link (are you really sure your not him?) I do really feel sorry for anyone who has the misfortune to end up as one of your tenants, with any luck one of them will end up paying you the same sort of visit you arranged for your students.

ETA i cant belive you would say he was o.k.! he got done for manslaughter and for having a hand grenade thrown into someones house!

Edited by P R

Mr Bass maybe some of us feel differently,I expect Carlt has found an honest days work using his considerable skills nets him a good living and a clean conscience.Being a landlord is not a crime,there is a need for rental property.Plenty of private landlords are buisness like but fair and do not resort to criminal thuggish behaviour like you describe.

Renting out your home is a big decission and needs to be carefully thought out and properly planned,it is indeed a minefield and there are many horror stories.

Reading between and along the lines of your post makes me think a bender or an old bus would be more of a home than one of your "pits".

Atheist...Dead's dead.

I am rich.

No offence but I'd rather be me...

...I like alligators and if we drained everything we wouldn't go boating now would we?

On the fourth month I always serve a Section 21 and if the tenants then decide they want to stay longer I inspect the property and if all is ok I am then prepared to issue a 12 month agreement if that is wanted.

Purely out of curiosity; is there any perceived advantage in supplying a further shorthold rather than leaving it as a continual tenancy? I think if my LL in times past had said "I don't reckon I'll be kicking you out..." and seemed genuine that would be enough for me.

Does he want to?

Whilst I'm as keen as the next man to be comfortable, and to be able to afford lifes little luxuries, I sure as hell wouldn't want to become rich at the expense of anothers misery.

As Carl says, he doesn't believe in heaven, but when the time comes, I'm not sure that one buys a place. "Earns" seems more appropriate.

• Greenie 1

Purely out of curiosity; is there any perceived advantage in supplying a further shorthold rather than leaving it as a continual tenancy? I think if my LL in times past had said "I don't reckon I'll be kicking you out..." and seemed genuine that would be enough for me.

It is purely the law on a ASTA if someone takes a 6 month ASTA then you still have to give 2 months notice via a s21. I always send a letter with the s21 explaining that the only reason I am sending it is because the it is what has to be done. Should the tenant decide they want to stay I send a further letter with the new SHTA cancelling the s21. Now I know a lot of landlords that send the s21 with the original ASTA I have never done that and would not do so. I guess the advantage of sending the s21 after 4 months is it then lets me know if the tenant intends to extend the lease or not.

It is difficult to evict anyone, as it should be, the law is framed to protect the tenant not the landlord (again as it should be) so please be sure your son is prepared for any problems, letting property as a lot of people have found out is not for amateurs. Just as an example if an unmarried couple move in you need to issue 2 agreements one for each the same if they have children over 18.

Who told you that? A joint tenancy it the correct document. This makes each party responsible for the others performance. As for over 18's they have no tenancy rights as adult children. They become lodgers. Giving them a tenancy agreement gives them legal rights.

As for getting rid of tenants. If the section 21 is properly served then the court has no option to grant you possession. On the odd occasion I have had to use it I have always gone down the accelerated possession route.

But IMO let unfurnished.

Hi. I have an unfurnished house I rent myself and a furnished student house I let through the University Accommodation Office. The only advice I would add to what has already been sent is not to use an agent. I found they charged an enormous amount of money for doing very little, plus VAT at 20%. Try Upad who seem to offer a good value service to check out tenants at £99.00. Good luck .