biodegradable products

shamrock990

Featured Posts

HI,

I am going on a boating holiday next week and am keen to use products that are safer for the environment/canal. I have found a biodegradable shower gel but am looking for biodegradable shampoo/conditioner and hand soap. Can anyone reccommend suitable products to use and where i might get them?

Many thanks!

Guest wanted

HI,

I am going on a boating holiday next week and am keen to use products that are safer for the environment/canal. I have found a biodegradable shower gel but am looking for biodegradable shampoo/conditioner and hand soap. Can anyone reccommend suitable products to use and where i might get them?

Many thanks!

Nip into Body shop and get anything from the 'earth lover's' range. Be careful though, nobody knows what happens if you spill it on your dog!

There is one regular poster who uses, IIRC, a single ECOver product for all (most?) of the washing functions you mention. And in only half a bowl of water for some of them!

The partner poster is currently wondering just what the full time boating future will be like, but that's another story.

I am left wondering though, if you believe in using ecological products, surely you use them at home already, so why not just decant sufficient for the duration of your holiday and take them with you? With a bit more in case of unforeseen emergencies.

Never mind, that's just my slanted view of people and the world. :-)

Whatever, I hope the holiday goes well, however you enjoy it!

Ecover shower gel is a shampoo as well, so you only need to find a conditioner.

If you use Ecover washing up liquid you really need to use a "proper" washing up liquid afterwards to get the dishes clean :-) I thought the jury was still out on whether the products calling them selves eco friendly are actually any better for the environment that other products or whether it is just a way of making us pay more.

haggis

I thought the jury was still out on whether the products calling them selves eco friendly are actually any better for the environment that other products or whether it is just a way of making us pay more.

haggis

I think the idea is to make sure you don't have any money left to spend on anything that could harm the environment.

I think the idea is to make sure you don't have any money left to spend on anything that could harm the environment.

Now, there is a statement from Carl that I can agree with.

Environmentally friendly detergents are just snake oil.

When measured against what they actually DO, they are no more friendly than the bog standard stuff.

All the 'forever living' products are enviro friendly, based on aloe vera....then you just need to find a local supplier! they do just about everything, I've only used their MPD though...very good IMO (multi purpose detergent)

All the 'forever living' products are enviro friendly, based on aloe vera....then you just need to find a local supplier! they do just about everything, I've only used their MPD though...very good IMO (multi purpose detergent)

MPD isn't "based on aloe vera". It is a whole load of detergents with a bit of aloe vera chucked in because it makes people think it is lovely stuff.

An aqueous solution containing surface active agents (Water [Aqua], Ethoxylated Linear Alcohols, Benzenesulfonic Acid, C10-16-Alkyl Derivatives, Sodium Salts, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate and Sodium Sulfate), Conditioner (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice), Fragrance (Parfum), Methylisothiazolinone, and Colorant.

MPD isn't "based on aloe vera". It is a whole load of detergents with a bit of aloe vera chucked in because it makes people think it is lovely stuff.

An aqueous solution containing surface active agents (Water [Aqua], Ethoxylated Linear Alcohols, Benzenesulfonic Acid, C10-16-Alkyl Derivatives, Sodium Salts, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate and Sodium Sulfate), Conditioner (Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice), Fragrance (Parfum), Methylisothiazolinone, and Colorant.

i'll pass that on..............

Guest Quo Vadis

Now, there is a statement from Carl that I can agree with.

Environmentally friendly detergents are just snake oil.

When measured against what they actually DO, they are no more friendly than the bog standard stuff.

I work with domestic appliances, and all our experience with "green" products has been bad. We see rotted seals and clogged pipes, not to mention poor results compared to what I'd call "properly researched" products from Lever or Proctor & Gamble. Save your money and buy stuff that actually works.

Edited by Quo Vadis

That is a very good point. Also people think natural is safe. Most of the ancient poisons where natural

One of the reasons that people think that Ecover WUL doesn't work is beacause it doesn't have surfactants This means you hardly get any bubbles and if you're not used to it you end up thinking "it's not working". You do need to use more than with concentrated WULs but I have never had any problems getting my dishes clean with it.

One of the reasons that people think that Ecover WUL doesn't work is beacause it doesn't have surfactants This means you hardly get any bubbles and if you're not used to it you end up thinking "it's not working". You do need to use more than with concentrated WULs but I have never had any problems getting my dishes clean with it.

Ecover washing up liquid ingredients;

• Aqua
  • Sodium Laureth Sulfate
  • Lauryl Polyglucose
  • Sodium Chloride
  • Whey
  • Citric Acid
  • Parfum
  • Limonene
  • 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol
  • Calendula Officinalis Extract
  • Chamomilla Recutita Extract

Fairy Liquid ingredients;

• Aqua

• Sodium laureth sulphate

• Alcohol denat

• Lauramine oxide

• C9-11 pareth-8

• Sodium chloride

• 1,3-Cyclohexanedimethanamine

• PPG (polypropylene glycols)

• Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate

• Parfum

• Geraniol

• Limonene

• Colourant

Now, which of the ingredients in Fairy Liquid make it non-environmentally friendly?

The blunt truth is that Eco detergents are all about marketing.

Ecover and Fairy are neither better nor worse than each other, but one company chooses to market to people who want their WUL to say "good for the environment" and the other markets to people who want their WUL to say "cleans dishes well".

Fairy don't say "eco friendly", because they know that their target demographic would think that meant "doesn't wash as well as the eco-nasty stuff".

Ecover doesn't say "gets dishes sparkling clean", because they know that their target demographic associates such claims with eco nasty stuff.

The trouble is that 90% of people don't actually look further than the "ECO" label.

Not being a chemist, I wouldn't have a clue what some of those chemicals are, so I couldn't begin to answer the question, but there clearly are differences in the list.

Without that background though, we can't all be expected to know if Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate is better or worse than say 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol.

So, as purely a non-chemist, I still think the contents of ecover sound less 'chemically' if that makes sense....I know they are chemicals....even water or 'aqua' is, but from my little knowledge, which is the same most people might have, I would still tend towards the eco brand.

Maybe I'm not too fussy about anti-bacterial things....my gran always said you have to eat a ton of muck before you die....we are a little over fussy these days IMO

Just to pick one of the Ecover ingredients: 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol...

Misleading marketing claims: Children’s products commonly bear claims like gentle and natural that are at odds with harsh, synthetic ingredients in the product.

Manufacturers are not required to substantiate marketing and label claims, and, consequently, parents cannot necessarily trust that claims are true. Our analysis shows that 19% of children’s products are labeled “natural,” 9% are “recommended” or “tested” by a doctor, pediatrician, dermatologist, or ophthalmologist, and 6% are labeled “safe.” According to FDA, companies can use marketing terms such as these “to mean anything or nothing at all” (FDA 2000).

35% of all children’s products marked as “natural” on the label are not fully natural at all, but contain one or more artificial preservatives linked to allergic reactions, hormone disruption, or nervous system problems in laboratory studies.

80% of children’s products marked as gentle and non-irritating (gentle, soothing, non-irritating, dermatologist approved, or free of harsh ingredients) instead contain ingredients linked to allergies and skin or eye irritation according to government and industry sources. Some manufacturers warn parents of children’s risks for allergies, including Johnson & Johnson, which includes warnings on some baby vapor bath and cream products that serious breathing problems could occur even when the products are used as directed.

54% of children’s products marked as safe and non-toxic contain one or more of 20 top ingredients of concern* in children’s products, including chemicals linked to allergies, nervous system problems, cancer, reproductive risks, and hormone disruption.

* Top 20 ingredients of concern identified by EWG: 2-Bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol, BHA, DMDM hydantoin, oxybenzone, triclosan, boric acid (and sodium borate), dibutyl phthalate, toluene, fragrance, dyes, fluoride, ceteareth and PEG compounds, parabens, triethanolamine (TEA), benzyl and isopropyl alcohol, methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate.

Or, perhaps Sodium Laureth Sulphate:

As a start, we recommend that consumers choose products free of carcinogenic impurities. To avoid 1,4-dioxane, read ingredient labels and avoid any of the 56 cosmetic ingredients that can contain the contaminant, including “sodium laureth sulfate” and ingredients that include the clauses “PEG,” “xynol,” “ceteareth,” and “oleth.”

Not being a chemist, I wouldn't have a clue what some of those chemicals are, so I couldn't begin to answer the question, but there clearly are differences in the list.

Without that background though, we can't all be expected to know if Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate is better or worse than say 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol.

So, as purely a non-chemist, I still think the contents of ecover sound less 'chemically' if that makes sense....I know they are chemicals....even water or 'aqua' is, but from my little knowledge, which is the same most people might have, I would still tend towards the eco brand.

Which simply proves that if you call something "ECO" then no matter what the underlying science, no matter that there is no actual rule that says what can or cannot be called "ECO", people who want to attach an eco label to themselves will buy a product with inferior performance based upon an unsubstantiated marketing label.

I think I will buy stuff that works best.

Which simply proves that if you call something "ECO" then no matter what the underlying science, no matter that there is no actual rule that says what can or cannot be called "ECO", people who want to attach an eco label to themselves will buy a product with inferior performance based upon an unsubstantiated marketing label.

I think I will buy stuff that works best.

no...I bought it because, perhaps in ignorance, i believed it had to be as labelled....I am open to learning otherwise as I have shown earlier in the thread, and don't pretend to be a chemist.........

I buy things like that of my own free will, believing what they state to be true.....the MPD question has been sent on to the manufacturers and I will tell the answer when I receive it.

I buy things like that of my own free will, believing what they state to be true.

I buy things based on experience, believing that anything written on packaging is written by marketing men, and that marketing men are cut from the same cloth a politicians when it comes to telling the truth.

Me neither, Ecover works a treat. And it doesn't paintstripper my hands. And it smells nicer than chemical stuff.