Cats living aboard

Ex- Member

Featured Posts

Ok our boat is currently on dry land in the last stages of fitting out. We plan to be on the water next May and will be moving aboard with 2 x 3yo cats called Zig and Zag Original I know LOL

Anyway they are already used to the boat and have been coming to the boat with us at weekends for well over a year. However being on dry land they are not used to being around water so wondering how they'll fair when on the canal and what we should be aware of?

The cats have been chipped and both will wear safety collars which will have our mobile number on for contact should they get lost, is this generally a wise approach? And should the collar say the cat is chipped?

I'll be fitting a cat flap to the stern of the boat, I'm assuming any standard quality cat flap would suffice. Am I right in assuming that? ----- Is a chipped cat flap worth the expense and are they reliable?

The cats don't currently have health insurance as when home they are kept inside. What kind of insurance is advisable for cats on boats. We have a choice of land addresses available.

Any other tips or advice welcome cheers.gif

Here they are at a year old.

sweetdreams.jpg

Ok our boat is currently on dry land in the last stages of fitting out. We plan to be on the water next May and will be moving aboard with 2 x 3yo cats called Zig and Zag Original I know LOL

Anyway they are already used to the boat and have been coming to the boat with us at weekends for well over a year. However being on dry land they are not used to being around water so wondering how they'll fair when on the canal and what we should be aware of?

The cats have been chipped and both will wear safety collars which will have our mobile number on for contact should they get lost, is this generally a wise approach? And should the collar say the cat is chipped?

I'll be fitting a cat flap to the stern of the boat, I'm assuming any standard quality cat flap would suffice. Am I right in assuming that? ----- Is a chipped cat flap worth the expense and are they reliable?

The cats don't currently have health insurance as when home they are kept inside. What kind of insurance is advisable for cats on boats. We have a choice of land addresses available.

Any other tips or advice welcome cheers.gif

Here they are at a year old.

sweetdreams.jpg

I recommend a fishing landing net in case they fall in,but they swim furiously and with their claws can scramble out of most places,though piling or wharfs might be a struggle. I,ve taught Satchinanander to return to duty by my blowing a referee's whistle.Beware of dogs not on a lead,it terrifies them,i've found that the worst problem of all. regards bizzard

Our cat never goes outside, we have a wooden gate made out of dowels that we put on the doors,saves us getting hot and the cat can look outside. Also means that when the doors are open no one can nick anything thats lying around in the engine room.

Cheers bizzard

It so happens I have a landing net.

We've also started ringing a a bell at feeding time so they equate the ringing of bell to returning to the boat but stopped after quite a short time, I think we'll try it again especially as they're more accustomed to the boat now as in the early days of trying they ignored it LOL I think due to excitement though but now they will probably take more notice. Maybe a whistle is better also, we'll see.

Our cat never goes outside, we have a wooden gate made out of dowels that we put on the doors,saves us getting hot and the cat can look outside. Also means that when the doors are open no one can nick anything thats lying around in the engine room.

Our cats are now far to used to their freedom, i think if we tried to keep them in, they would never stop meowing and scratching at the door LOL We also want to avoid litter tray hassle also. The cats are kept in when we're back at home though as we live adjacent to a busy road, they are much happier when their let loose at the boat though, when home they do seem to go into depression, bit like us I suppose LOL

Spend as much money as is feasible on a sturdy cat flap. We're looking at investing in number 4 in 5 years onboard; the plastic ones from Argos are no barrier to a determined cat. At worst, with those "Petmate" type, take them apart and epoxy the plastic frames together before fitting, otherwise, if determined they'll get their claws behind them and rip the frames apart.

I don't know about reliability but the ones we've looked at are `12volt so could be hard wired in.

Get the cats used to moving as soon as possible and don't be shy of leaving them behind for a day or so. Most learn; although I've a feeling our Tom takes it for granted we'll come back these days.

Someone on here had tires hanging on the offside and I've always thought that's a brilliant idea to give them somewhere to climb onto & jump from if they get wet.

I must raise a hat to Mike & Wendy Stevens; their site doesn't seem to be up any more but it was the encyclopaedia of living with cats on a boat!

We have a litter tray...cat is happy to use it.

He often tells us when he wants out.

We click an extendible leash onto a bodysuit and he spends ages catching doormice.

We fitted diamond shaped wood mesh things on the hatch doors, and front/back doors. He enjoys looking out at the ducks.

He enjoys the different scenery.

We lost him once...after filling for diesel etc, and realised an hour later. We took the boat back to the same spot, and he was waiting for us in a hedge. People said he had been hopping on all the boats looking for us.

We use Dreamies pellets to coax him down a tree.

Dean

Don't let the cat view your avatar or you might not coax him back on board again. I am completely disorientated looking at it..........

:smiley_offtopic: Are there any subliminal messages in it?

Dean

Don't let the cat view your avatar or you might not coax him back on board again. I am completely disorientated looking at it..........

:smiley_offtopic: Are there any subliminal messages in it?

Backward masking...it says...casette.....pumpout bad.....casette...pumpout bad...casette..... :lol:

We click an extendible leash onto a bodysuit and he spends ages catching doormice.

In the name of the law, I arrest Dean's cat for illegally taking and killing members of the Dormouse family who have enjoyed protection under The Wildlife And Countryside Act since 1988 :judge: ,

We have two cats aboard too. We have standard cat flat in the back door, its still ok after nearly 4 years but its virtually always open so they can come and go as they please. When we cruise we shut them in the front half of the boat with food water and a litter tray although they very very rarely use the latter. That way we can come in and out of the kitchen area with worrying that they'll jump out. They've got used to the routine and just curl up and sleep as soon as we lock them in and start the engine. At the end of the cruise they hop off and go and explore. Unless we stay in one place for a few days they never seem to go that far on that first night and are always back at the boat first thing in the morning for food (we've always fed them their favorite wet food at breakfast time and just dry biscuit at night, so they ar5e always back before we want to cruise).

We leave the ends of mooring ropes hanging in the cut so they have a way to climb out and sometimes hang a piece of hessian sack over the bank if its steep. Do this at both ends of the boat as it's there that they'll fall in if its going to happen.

Both have been in once when young, they seem to learn quite quickly !

Regarding collars, if your going to use them keep a spare or two as they will loose them regulary. Add a bell to make more noise if they become too prolific at hunting, it reduces their success remarkably.

Les

Edited by Lesd

We have two cats aboard too. We have standard cat flat in the back door, its still ok after nearly 4 years but its virtually always open so they can come and go as they please. When we cruise we shut them in the front half of the boat with food water and a litter tray although they very very rarely use the latter. That way we can come in and out of the kitchen area with worrying that they'll jump out. They've got used to the routine and just curl up and sleep as soon as we lock them in and start the engine. At the end of the cruise they hop off and go and explore. Unless we stay in one place for a few days they never seem to go that far on that first night and are always back at the boat first thing in the morning for food (we've always fed them their favorite wet food at breakfast time and just dry biscuit at night, so they ar5e always back before we want to cruise).

We leave the ends of mooring ropes hanging in the cut so they have a way to climb out and sometimes hang a piece of hessian sack over the bank if its steep. Do this at both ends of the boat as it's there that they'll fall in if its going to happen.

Both have been in once when young, they seem to learn quite quickly !

Regarding collars, if your going to use them keep a spare or two as they will loose them regulary. Add a bell to make more noise if they become too prolific at hunting, it reduces their success remarkably.

Les

Brilliant, some really good tips there, much appreciated cheers.gif

Guest wanted

I have a couple of plastic bread baskets that I hang over front and back to act as a ladder. Sindbad also comes to the sound of a reception bell.

good luck

We met Tess a dog from a boat last week.

She had two plastic tags on her collar, 1 had her normal contact details on - mobile, owners name, vets name and number.

The other tag had 'I'm from [boat name] - my boat is painted as follows [boat colours]

Fair chance she would find her way home I reckon....

Spend as much money as is feasible on a sturdy cat flap. We're looking at investing in number 4 in 5 years onboard; the plastic ones from Argos are no barrier to a determined cat. At worst, with those "Petmate" type, take them apart and epoxy the plastic frames together before fitting, otherwise, if determined they'll get their claws behind them and rip the frames apart.

I don't know about reliability but the ones we've looked at are `12volt so could be hard wired in.

Get the cats used to moving as soon as possible and don't be shy of leaving them behind for a day or so. Most learn; although I've a feeling our Tom takes it for granted we'll come back these days.

Someone on here had tires hanging on the offside and I've always thought that's a brilliant idea to give them somewhere to climb onto & jump from if they get wet.

I must raise a hat to Mike & Wendy Stevens; their site doesn't seem to be up any more but it was the encyclopaedia of living with cats on a boat!

Mike died sometime ago. Wendy is still living on the boat but isn't computery.

Sue

I'm confused. I thought you finished fitting out and were on the water a couple of years ago? I'm sure I saw some pictures of your boat on the water in your blog? :unsure:

Edited by blackrose

I'm confused. I thought you finished fitting out and were on the water a couple of years ago? I'm sure I saw some pictures of your boat on the water in your blog? :unsure:

We were on the water around from the end of July 2004 launched in Bristol just the primed shell but fully blackened, we fitted the engine up in the boat yard and got it all running and functioning just before going on the water. We had a mooring on a pontoon where about 50% of the of fitting out was completed lining out and insulating etc. We spent a year on the pontoon but regularly took trips to Bath we even had a whole month holiday where we cruised from Bristol to Devises and back with just basic amenities. We eventually left the Pontoon though as it was getting expensive in rent, so we then moved on to the Bath canals hiring winter moorings from BW for 2 winters where we continued to fit out and do the odd pleasure trip.

We continued fitting out but as we progressed it got more difficult space wise what with tools and materials everywhere and having to rely on generator power was a bind and getting access tools & equipment to the boat was tricky with the amount of boats moored in the Bath area. Around Sept 2006 Me and business partner decided to expand the business so we simply couldn't spend as much time on the boat as we did, so eventually took it of the water in Devises where it is now.

It was only supposed to be here for 18 months and was expected to be completely finished by end 2008. The expansion of the business went well, but this meant less and less time for fitting out the boat, so by the end of 2008 we were only about 85% complete. Then the recession began to bite, removal companies got hit first, my business partner also decided to back out and I bought him out. This now meant that I could now spend even less time fitting out as I had to cover his normal duties as well. Time moved on then Lyn's mum died unexpectedly and other family illnesses meant a lot of long distance travelling so the boat just didn't get any attention at all for around a year.

We've now managed just to survive the recession and most of the family problems are sorted so we've been on the boat almost every weekend since Jan this year. We only have the back cabin to finish internally and a reshuffle of the leisure batteries.

The back cabin will be finished weekend after next and the batteries along with a good spruce up of the engine room will easily be sorted by the end Sept, all that remains then is the exterior painting of the boat. Shot blasting hull and re blacking. We planned for the Boat to go on the water next March, it might be be May now though as one of Lyn's duaghters is getting married in June which means a lot of travelling to Scotland, so it makes sense to relaunch after that event or it will be on the water mostly unoccupied.

To be honest we could get the boat on the water before the end of this year but see little point in doing this as winter approaches.

That's basically a very long story cut short LOL

This was originally a 3 year project with a one year contingency, it's now 7 years on cheers.gif

I see. Well judging by the pictures what you've done looks good - so good I thought it was finished!

My fit-out took me about 3 years and my boat came lined (or already fitted-out as someone told me! <_< ), but I was living aboard and just doing it on weekends.

Anyway, keep going & try to enjoy the rest of it.

Any other tips or advice welcome

Rope side fenders (Thick type) so they can climb out.

Firesprite

• 7 months later...

Just fitted the new cat flap, the cat's were a bit hesitant as they've never had to use one before but a couple of hours after fitting they were jumping through it like it's been there for years.

Shame to have to put a hole through my engine room door though laugh.gif

Nice easy to fit cat flap from Cat Mate

http://www.catflaps.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d11.html

DSCF1333.jpg

Nice door! :D

I notice you asked in your first post about cat health insurance. My cats don't have health insurance, but every month I put away in a savings account the amount it would cost me if I had insured them. I know it's a bit of a gamble, as if they had a serious problem it might not be enough to cover it, but the up side is, if they don't need it my money is still there! If I had paid for insurance they didn't need it would be gone into the insurance company's coffers. I know it's a risk, but luckily they have had no major problems so far, and a reasonable balance has built up.

Cats, however tame you think they are, will come and visit you for food, and maybe put some attendance in, but they will have a wander and have several other places where they get attention and maybe food too. They may bring live or nearly live offerings from hunting parties, some of which will hide under the cupboards for years. Every so often they will go fishing, but this may need your attention as getting out of the water is not as easy as falling in! A climb-out system usually based on a bread tray may be used but the automated recovery system (you with a landing net) is expected to be available at all times.

Remember that you may own a dog but a cat owns you.

I saw a poster in a pet shop saying:

"A dog takes orders and a cat takes a message and gets back to you"

I thought that was a pretty good description, especially in our cats' case :lol:

Ann