Webasto, Eberspacher

drumsticksplinter

Featured Posts

Hello,

I'm probably not the only person to have asked this, but anyway, can the used webasto / Eberspacher heaters from cars etc on ebay be used in a narrowboat? I've read somewhere that some models require communication with the vehicles computer via can bus?? Has anybody had any experience with using one of these units with any success. Basically I'm rebuilding a complete narrowboat, therefore on a tight budget, so would prefer to spend a couple of hundred quid on a standard used heater than over a grand for a "narrowboat version".

Any guidance would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Have a search for w-bus on the discovery forums. There is a way of controlling some of the CAN based Webasto ones using webastos own proprietary bus and one of their standard timer units. If your handy with code there's a w-bus driver on source forge. The physical layer is ISO 9141 compliant.

Edited by Chalky

Have a search for w-bus on the discovery forums. There is a way of controlling some of the CAN based Webasto ones using webastos own proprietary bus and one of their standard timer units. If your handy with code there's a w-bus driver on source forge. The physical layer is ISO 9141 compliant.

I am pretty sure that older of around 2000 ( and maybe younger) BMW diesels had the option for Webasto heaters, that were an optional add-on at about £400 - not sure how much was already installed on the car though....

Nick

Thanks Chalky, Ideally I'd be looking for a unit that didn't require the can bus system at all, but I'm wondering if there is such a beast without it costing a fortune, and which model would I be looking at? Thermo top c?? I'll look into the w-bus system and see if I can make any sense of it. Cheers, Adam.

Hello,

I'm probably not the only person to have asked this, but anyway, can the used webasto / Eberspacher heaters from cars etc on ebay be used in a narrowboat? I've read somewhere that some models require communication with the vehicles computer via can bus?? Has anybody had any experience with using one of these units with any success. Basically I'm rebuilding a complete narrowboat, therefore on a tight budget, so would prefer to spend a couple of hundred quid on a standard used heater than over a grand for a "narrowboat version".

Thanks!

Just a thought but what are you wanting the diesel system for ? All of these units have problems at some time or other and there are better options AND cheaper options. For instance they are totaly useless as a main form of heating, the only way to do that is a solid fuel stove. If its for hot water there are several better options. I sold a boat yesterday that had a mikuni which worked without fault BUT the maintenance costs to keep it that way were extensive the other makes are all similar though some kid themselves they are not.

:D

Edited by mrsmelly

Hello,

Thanks!

Over the weekend at Burton I heard Steve Wedgwood or Kings Lock Chandlery explaining that as far as Webasto are concerned the boat heaters different to vehicle heaters and that vehicle heaters may well give trouble if installed in boats. To be honest I was not really paying attention in case I put him off his presentation, but proceed with caution on this.

Just a thought but what are you wanting the diesel system for ? All of these units have problems at some time or other and there are better options AND cheaper options. For instance they are totaly useless as a main form of heating, the only way to do that is a solid fuel stove. If its for hot water there are several better options. I sold a boat yesterday that had a mikuni which worked without fault BUT the maintenance costs to keep it that way were extensive the other makes are all similar though some kid themselves they are not.

:D

What are the better/cheaper options?

What are the better/cheaper options?

The better cheaper options are many but basicaly everything is better and cheaper. For instance for cabin heating a solid fuel stove is hugely more efficient vastly cheaper to run and virtualy maintenance free. For hot water a morco/paloma are much better, quicker and again cheaper in fact the diesel forced heating systems are realy only of use as a very expensive backup :)

Not sure, but think the car version of the Webasto has a higher minimum operating voltage compared to the marine version. Dont know if it can be adjusted.

Boots

Yeah I spoke to a webasto sales person on a stand of theirs last weekend. They told me that the "marine version" operates below 11 volts, whereas that automotive versions won't. But I'm a bit confused as to what batteries would work below 11v anyway without causing themselves damage?

Over the weekend at Burton I heard Steve Wedgwood or Kings Lock Chandlery explaining that as far as Webasto are concerned the boat heaters different to vehicle heaters and that vehicle heaters may well give trouble if installed in boats. To be honest I was not really paying attention in case I put him off his presentation, but proceed with caution on this.

I meant to attend that talk, but I got distracted by the vast amount of other things going on there. I actually met you last weekend too Tony, some very helpful advice might I add too!

... I'm a bit confused as to what batteries would work below 11v anyway without causing themselves damage?

The batteries don't have to be that low themselves if there's any voltage drop in the cable.

Tony

I don't quite get this solid fuel burner is cheap argument. Is it really cheaper if you don't have a free supply of wood? For a while I was faced with having put a very expensive solid fuel burner in my house with no supply of cheap wood. The local suppliers of firewood wanted a fortune for chopped up wood. What's worse was that they were grabbing all the trees before I got the chance. Thankfully I found a tree surgeon recently who gave me a couple of trees (I had to chop and season them myself).

I've also run my house heating from coal in the past. It was cheaper than oil for a while but I don't believe that's the case anymore. This is mainly because of the control you have of instant heating compared to coal/wood. I can half the heating on for half an hour. Try doing that with coal/wood.

It's just my experience from heating a house. I have no experience of heating boats (yet).

Dave

I don't quite get this solid fuel burner is cheap argument. Is it really cheaper if you don't have a free supply of wood? For a while I was faced with having put a very expensive solid fuel burner in my house with no supply of cheap wood. The local suppliers of firewood wanted a fortune for chopped up wood. What's worse was that they were grabbing all the trees before I got the chance. Thankfully I found a tree surgeon recently who gave me a couple of trees (I had to chop and season them myself).

I've also run my house heating from coal in the past. It was cheaper than oil for a while but I don't believe that's the case anymore. This is mainly because of the control you have of instant heating compared to coal/wood. I can half the heating on for half an hour. Try doing that with coal/wood.

It's just my experience from heating a house. I have no experience of heating boats (yet).

Dave

Then I will explain to you :D I NEVER burn wood on my boat squirrel what we liveaboards generaly do is light the stove in Octoberish and never let it out till about mayish. The boat is constantly warm with a superb dry heat for about 2 or 3 25k bags a week depending on boat and peoples heat preferences so about 20 to 30 pounds a week. If you used say any of the forced heat diesel heaters then Look up how much diesel per hour running 24 hours a day it will cost you in a week and you will find it immensly more expensive and that is without having to be plugged into mains electric to keep the thing with lektrickery or loads of charging of batteries and the heat is simply not the same thats why in a nutshell 99 percent of liveaboards have a solid fuel stove. If you tried to cut down on diesel by letting the diesel heater switch off at night within fifteen minutes the boat will start to freeze especialy in the winters we have had of late. :)

Also - I'd heard that the Ebersbastokuni things were supposed to be noisy but hadn't actually heard one until I played bigshorty's little video of his test lash up. I realise they can be fitted with silencers but that sounded like a Vulcan on full reheat taking off!!

Richard

Also - I'd heard that the Ebersbastokuni things were supposed to be noisy but hadn't actually heard one until I played bigshorty's little video of his test lash up. I realise they can be fitted with silencers but that sounded like a Vulcan on full reheat taking off!!

Richard

Firstly can I make clear it is not my video, just one of many posted on the net by people trying to be helpful, unfortunately paying scant regard to health and safety, this is most assuredly a case of “don’t try this at home”.

I do have an eberspacher fitted and it is silenced and very quiet (just a background hum) it services the hot water and 3 rads very efficiently, would I run it fulltime ? NO.

The hot water and rads are heated by the engine whilst it is running giving “free” heat which would in some cases just be wasted to the canal.

Also fitted is a small “boatman” stove which burns wood or solid fuel most efficiently when required.

Would I use this combination again in a different boat ? yes, hope this helps :blush:

Give the choice of mooring next to a boat with an Eardrumsmasher, a Weblastyou, or a Solid Fuel burner I'd go with the Solid Fuel every time.

There are properly silenced forced diesel heaters out there but most seem to be the 747 landing on the towpath type.

Richard

They are noisy!

Sue

Firstly can I make clear it is not my video, just one of many posted on the net by people trying to be helpful, unfortunately paying scant regard to health and safety, this is most assuredly a case of “don’t try this at home”.

I do have an eberspacher fitted and it is silenced and very quiet (just a background hum) it services the hot water and 3 rads very efficiently, would I run it fulltime ? NO.

The hot water and rads are heated by the engine whilst it is running giving “free” heat which would in some cases just be wasted to the canal.

Also fitted is a small “boatman” stove which burns wood or solid fuel most efficiently when required.

Would I use this combination again in a different boat ? yes, hope this helps :blush:

The background hum starting up at 5am has woken me on many occasions. Solid fuel is the answer.

Sue

Thanks everyone for your input, I think I will look into a solid fuel stove and try and get a webasto as a backup / convenience heater. Shame that the boat I've bought has a morso squirrel that is in disrepair! If anyone is missing any bits from theirs or would like spares then I will have see if I can salvage anything, doors look good, plus few other bits.

Richard

If it really dies sound like a Vulcan or Concird at full reheat, then I am taking the silencer off mine straight away!! I loved the Vulcan. Sob sob.

The not much mentioned alternative is the Bubble Stove. Runs off diesel, is noiseless, low full consumption, no electric required. Looks like a solid fuel stove but with none of the dust/ash probkem and no piles of wood / coal on the roof. We have one that I now love