What do you put in your loo?

Davo_Willow

Featured Posts

I put a large carton of organic yoghurt in my (well-ventilated) holding tank. The theory is that aerobic bacteria don't cause smells, but anaerobic bacteria do.

So a combination of live yoghurt and fresh air is meant to encourage aerobic bacteria.

I use NO lavatory cleaner, but I do make sure the bowl is wiped well.

Seems to work.

Anyone know if Brewer's yeast in a holding tank will do anything useful?

I did use BioMagic until recently when it started to *ahem* underperform, shall we say. This may well be due to it being past its sell by date, I could no longer tell as the label had faded. :blush: However, due to it being a bit of a pain to obtain, rather than get a new bottle I went with Uncle Richard's suggestion of brewer's yeast. Just over 20 tablets in a full tank seemed to do the trick and my odour problems have gone, though obviously I still don't leave the valve open longer than I have to. It's not that odour free.

For my holding tank, I use a number of products from a company called Travena link

One 25mg sachet of a product called Septclean 250 link following a pumpout

If you start to get the slightest odour a 10ml shot of Oxyplus sorts it link

And for cleaning of the loo: Bioclean link

I have no connection with the company other than using their products and not having a smelly loo

Results so far with the Bio washing powder are not good. The cassette has a pong ive not experienced since the days of dump through bucket toilets in our local park.

It could be the type of powder being used which is co-op bio washing powder, it didnt have much of a perfume when I opened the box so I think when I get home tonight Ill change the cassette and I might try a slightly more expensive brand for the next test.

For info I put two capfulls (the cap off the cassette) of the washing powder into the cassette at the start and added some water to disolve the powder.

For info I put two capfulls (the cap off the cassette) of the washing powder into the cassette at the start and added some water to disolve the powder.

You'll find that if you also add a splash of conditioner after you've been, you can debunk the notion that "you can't polish a turd". ;)

• Greenie 1

Macerator and remote tank. Elson blue in the tank.

I have used the Harpic...normal household loo cleaner....'5 times faster than bleach'..blue stuff on a daily basis...for the last couple of years. It hasn't affected the seals...BUT...i have not had to address any limescale issues or clear out the non-return valve...since using it. It is basically the same as the kettle descaler that others on here use..but a little weaker. I like it as I buy it in the 99p shops...and its conventional.

bob

Edited by Bobbybass

For my holding tank, I use a number of products from a company called Travena link

One 25mg sachet of a product called Septclean 250 link following a pumpout

If you start to get the slightest odour a 10ml shot of Oxyplus sorts it link

And for cleaning of the loo: Bioclean link

I have no connection with the company other than using their products and not having a smelly loo

Just taken a look and these seem to be ok enough for me to invest some beer tokens.

Never heard of the bio washing powder idea before so thought i would give it a go...

Our holding tank is a dump through type, and normally trouble free...Until the weather warms up, then it develops 'the breath of satan' when used!!

All the vents are working as they should, there is just a rather nasty whiff! (Poor old dog gets the blame usually)

Anyhow, threw in a generous handful of el cheapo bio washing powder at the weekend (cost £1.20) and whilst I can't truthfully say it smells like a spring meadow the nastyness is dramatically reduced. Quite impressive results for a cheap, simple, solution to a whiffy problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Having read this thread a while ago I liked the idea of bio-washing powder and have got round to trying it this week. Results were good and I shall continue to use this method.

I did however use bio-washing concentrated liquid because I could not see the point of having to dissolve a powder when a liquid is already dissolved so to speak. I went for concentrated because I felt it would be more powerful.

Not being sure how much to use I guesstimated and three cap-fulls were put into a well-rinsed cassette (all traces of 'blue' must be removed) along with about a liter of water. The cassette is now full and so far the only 'pong' is that of laundry.

I wonder about the effect on the seals but washing machines have seals too and they seem to survive so time will tell.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

I have tried Bio washing powder in out motorhome. The initial results from the first tank full are better than any of the blue or green stuff I have tried.

Contents were well disolved :rolleyes: and not at all unpleasent on empting.

I used a tea mug full of powder to start, then another about a week later. (A break in using the MH)

I might try capsules next.