Is living aboard in France just a dream?

Spacebar

Featured Posts

Hello it may seem like a silly question but is it possible to live on a 30 foot fibreglass narrow beam in France without a mooring?

I just want better weather the Uk climate is really getting me down!

Which part of the French system are you thinking about?

Better weather can often mean very very hot and uncomfortably humid...

This is the thing it's just a dream I have no idea!

We dream of the same too. France is a great country and has great waterways, living aboard though, well down south. in the height of summer, on a small boat??

You have to be joking...!!! I'd go for the adventure but not the weather. I'm fed up of people saying the UK climate is depressing, some folk get depressed about anything..!! We have just about the best climate its posible to get, be grateful for it and cheer up.

Hello it may seem like a silly question but is it possible to live on a 30 foot fibreglass narrow beam in France without a mooring?

If you are able to live on your 30 foot fibreglass narrowbeam in the U.K. already, you know how well it's suits you to live aboard.

So in reality it will only be a change of country, if you buy a VNF-vignet for the year, and regulary cruise there will be no problem.

Sometimes it's much nicer to just keep dreaming, as in dreams everything is (normally) beautiful.

Peter.

We dream of the same too. France is a great country and has great waterways, living aboard though, well down south. in the height of summer, on a small boat??

I did it in the south of Italy in a 20 foot van and managed so think I could manage in a 30 foot boat!

I just want to know where to go to avoid the big commercial craft.

You have to be joking...!!! I'd go for the adventure but not the weather. I'm fed up of people saying the UK climate is depressing, some folk get depressed about anything..!! We have just about the best climate its posible to get, be grateful for it and cheer up.

It's good to have both though!

I don't get depressed about anything other than continued bad weather.

So I have to differ as my opinion is different.

Thanks

All the small canals shut for winter, you would need a mooring at a marina/boatyard. The rivers flood, and the big canals will continue to have passing commercials.

Its not like the UK canal system at all.

Mike

I don't get depressed about anything other than continued bad weather.

France's climate over the last few years has been chaotic. Only a few years ago 100's died across central France from a persistent heatwave. I was there..it was bloody hot.

In 2010 they had horrendous amounts of Snow....this year they had a good spring and then ratshit, they are expecting another heatwave to end the summer that no doubt will kill more elderly. What the hell do you want to go there for......Grass is always greener me thinks.

We do not have continued bad weather, where does that come from ?

Only you know if you can live on a 30ft GRP narrowboat. I couldn't. As for living on the French waterways without a mooring it's perfectly possible. In some places in France nobody seems to mind how long you stay in one place, but facilities such as water or elsan points can be limited or non-existent and you may have to visit marinas. Anyway, as long as you stay away from the south near the Med you can always get a mooring for a 30ft boat relatively cheaply.

France's climate over the last few years has been chaotic. Only a few years ago 100's died across central France from a persistent heatwave. I was there..it was bloody hot.

In 2010 they had horrendous amounts of Snow....this year they had a good spring and then ratshit, they are expecting another heatwave to end the summer that no doubt will kill more elderly. What the hell do you want to go there for......Grass is always greener me thinks.

We do not have continued bad weather, where does that come from ?

It's interesting how people reply on the Internet.

It comes from my day to day life experience based upon my life experience where I live.

If Italy had an inland canal system I would certainly live there as I like it not because the grass is greener but the life style is far healthier than the Uk and not to dissimilar to France.

It comes from my day to day life experience based upon my life experience where I live.

If Italy had an inland canal system I would certainly live there as I like it not because the grass is greener but the life style is far healthier than the Uk and not to dissimilar to France.

Egypt has a canal

Richard

There is some inland navigation in Italy too, but there isn't very much in comparison to France or the Continent in general, and there are even a few hire-boat bases.

My link

Peter.

Hey Peter that's very interesting do you have any more information please?

Like costs, legalities ect?

Have you done it yourself?

Thanks.

There is some inland navigation in Italy too, but there isn't very much in comparison to France or the Continent in general, and there are even a few hire-boat bases.

My link

Peter.

Hey Peter that's very interesting do you have any more information please?

Like costs, legalities ect?

Have you done it yourself?

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I haven't got any first hand information, but one of my old stury barges that I sold in 1983, after I converted her as an hotel-barge, has been up-graded and is trading nowadays in Italy.

So I hope to be able to go and see her again, and meet the new owners, and hope that they will be as happy with her as I've always been with the old girl (1897).

My link

Peter.

As I understand it you won't be allowed onto the French canal system without an I.C.C. You can get your International Certificate of Competence through the R.Y.A. BTW we live on our 30 foot boat and have done for 10 years, love it. However we have almost 3 feet more beam than a standard narrow boat and that makes a BIG difference. :cheers:

Its all very well dreaming about living afloat in France, or indeed any of the other canal systems on mainland Europe. Others will cover the practicalities of where exactly.

However there are the usual other problems you need to consider.

a) healthcare could be a problem as you won't even have a French address.

B) Language. I don't speak any French, German and Dutch yes, so I for one wouldn't even contemplate France.

c) Boat size. Have you seen the size of some of the waterways?, Or even the size of the inland shipping. You would be akin to an eggshell against the competition. Even narrowboats have to take great care.

I know it deflates pipe dreams.

Venice has the odd drop of water too

Its all very well dreaming about living afloat in France, or indeed any of the other canal systems on mainland Europe. Others will cover the practicalities of where exactly.

However there are the usual other problems you need to consider.

a) healthcare could be a problem as you won't even have a French address.

B) Language. I don't speak any French, German and Dutch yes, so I for one wouldn't even contemplate France.

c) Boat size. Have you seen the size of some of the waterways?, Or even the size of the inland shipping. You would be akin to an eggshell against the competition. Even narrowboats have to take great care.

I know it deflates pipe dreams.

You can walk into any clinic, in France, and get examined and treated privately for very little.

When I lived in France I had to have a series of Ultra-sound scans and examinations with a consultant, whilst I was living on the beach, in Nice.

I was expecting the bill to wipe out my credit card and necessitate a call to Mum but the total came to around £40, less than a scale and polish at an English dentist.

Talking of dentists, they were miles cheaper than over here, too.

Language is obviously up to you to learn. I didn't speak a word of French, when I arrived, but was fluent when I left.

Boat size is probably an issue, comfort-wise, when on the bigger waterways but many people cruise the European waterways in their narrowboats and I have yet to hear of one disaster.

Jesus Carl ... can tell you're getting old, why did you come back..?

Got to say Healthcare is not even a minor concern for me. I wouldn't have even considered it if you hadn't mentioned it - and I've probably spent more time in hospital than most.

If I feel a bit queezy I'll be popping over to France if I want quick cheap efficient health care. ..!!! I think not.