Hebden Bridge

jez1954

Featured Posts

1. Not a barmy comparison at all (IMHO). Remember it's my opinion - I previously respected yours - please play by the rules and respect mine.

To compare a dog turd to a boat is a strange analogy. I do respect your and everyone's opinion. I just don't have to agree with it.

2. Why should I not go to Hebden just because some boat owners (I hesitate to call them boaters as many look as though they haven't moved in a very long time) don't know how to (or can't be bothered) to look after their boats. A boat is an expensive piece of kit - what sort of person buys one to apparently let it rot away?

Its their boats its up to them what they do with 'em as it is mine and probably your choice to look after our. Should you choose to return to HB you're just gonna have to get used to looking at "scruffy" boats.

3. In a later post you commented on the poor attitude of people residential there to others (it's not the first time etc) - why support them then? Not that it matters to me, you can support who you want, but others on the forum may be interested.

I can't recall supporting the people, just their boats, perhaps you need to reread my post, although it would appear from this post that you have now ceased to interested in my opinions. Just out of interest, because i am still interested in your opinion, were you criticising boats throughout the HB stretch or just the boats/homes of the people at the Callis lock community to whom i have no particular affinity other than we breathe the same air.

Jez

Ehem, where did the mutual respect for personal choice go now then? :):rolleyes:

Did it ever exist?

Freedom to exercise personal choice exists but so does the freedom to look down one's nose and sneer snobbishly at anything that doesn't quite reach one's exacting standards.

Neither party is under any obligation to respect the other's choices, though.

Personally I think I'd rather be scruffy on the outside, than ugly on the inside, though.

• Greenie 1

I fully agree that people can keep their boat in whatever condition they like - my original post merely mused as to why someone would spend a lot of money on a boat (unless they didn't and somebody else did) and then just let it rot away. Regardless of personal values and lifestyle choices I just can't see it as anything more than plain bloody stupid.

I also questioned why there were so many poorly maintained boats in such a small area - I think that has been answered as I wasn't aware that an alternative lifestyle community lived on the canal there.

The strech of canal I walked (with my wife who it was who brought the condition of the boats to my attention) was from the dry dock (near New Street car park) up to a pub called (IIRC) Stubbing Landing. The majority (not all) of boats that I passed were either cluttered, dirty or in a state of apparent neglect.

Jez

I fully agree that people can keep their boat in whatever condition they like - my original post merely mused as to why someone would spend a lot of money on a boat (unless they didn't and somebody else did) and then just let it rot away. Regardless of personal values and lifestyle choices I just can't see it as anything more than plain bloody stupid.

You're rather assuming that, having scraped together whatever money was needed to buy the boat, the owner can remotely afford the thousands of pounds needed for repainting, blacking and so on.

I also questioned why there were so many poorly maintained boats in such a small area - I think that has been answered as I wasn't aware that an alternative lifestyle community lived on the canal there.

The strech of canal I walked (with my wife who it was who brought the condition of the boats to my attention) was from the dry dock (near New Street car park) up to a pub called (IIRC) Stubbing Landing. The majority (not all) of boats that I passed were either cluttered, dirty or in a state of apparent neglect.

Jez

I am of the same mind as you. I wouldn't buy something and then let it rot but most of these boats have been there for donkey's and don't seem to be getting any worse so they have probably bottomed out.

If you only walked to the Stubbing Wharf pub (not correcting you there) you didn't actually walk through the Callis lock community. If you thought the boats up to the pub were scruffy you would probably have gone apoplectic had you walked on anther 1/2 mile. :cheers:

Its strange isnt it that most "middle class" folk would see themselves as affluent if they could afford a boat yet these "hippies" as you call them cant see the "luxury" of the lifestyle they aspire to live. Maybe its some kind of inverted snobbery!! :wacko:

But they have a boat instead of a house, whereas us middle class types want to have both!

I am of the same mind as you. I wouldn't buy something and then let it rot but most of these boats have been there for donkey's and don't seem to be getting any worse so they have probably bottomed out.

If you only walked to the Stubbing Wharf pub (not correcting you there) you didn't actually walk through the Callis lock community. If you thought the boats up to the pub were scruffy you would probably have gone apoplectic had you walked on anther 1/2 mile. :cheers:

I have this condition that has so far defied medical science - if I pass a pub I have to stop, go in and drink beer. It doesn't seem to affect the wife - she had a cup of tea......and she determines how far we walk before turning back! :P

Jez

I have this condition that has so far defied medical science - if I pass a pub I have to stop, go in and drink beer. It doesn't seem to affect the wife - she had a cup of tea......and she determines how far we walk before turning back! :P

Jez

My grandfather had that problem. He got locked up in the end.

Sue

I always thought (from discussions on other forums) that Hebden Bridge was the home of the Northern lesbian, I've never visited, so cannot comment on the state of any boats, but i've always liked a bit of diversity (not the dance troupe).

I always thought (from discussions on other forums) that Hebden Bridge was the home of the Northern lesbian, I've never visited, so cannot comment on the state of any boats, but i've always liked a bit of diversity (not the dance troupe).

I'm sure up here in the North we've got more than one lesbian - there must be two at least.

If I had been in Hebden Bridge last Thursday, the 14th, I could have gone to the picture house to watch the world premier of a bio-pic of a local lesbian, but unfortunately I was elsewhere.

Very true, the gay(male) boaters seem to dislike the area if our friends are to be believed. I never knew about it being the lesbian equivalent of Brighton either till we went up the Rochdale a couple of years ago. Kev would not moor there and sane any self respecting Gay man would go onwards , we on the otherhand thought it was a nice place , maybe that is because we are straight! I really dont understand why people are so judgemental about things.

Edited by Madmark62

:smiley_offtopic: Well, I have never understood it. And no one has ever been able to explain to me why. But some (far from all) lesbians can be VERY hostile towards gay men. So much, that I have been physicly threatened just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Very territorial! I'd rather pick a fight with a gay male, where the worst that could happen is a limp wristed bitch slap. Than a militant lesbian threatening to gutt me with a broken wine bottle. Most are delightfull, or just get on with their own thing. But some are just scary. As a gay male, you sertainly do not feel welcome if wondering into their turf, so to say.

Sorry, felt I had to address that one. Back to Hebden Bridge now......

Well a lesbian acquaintance of mine went on a night out to canal street in manchester, and got very upset after some gay fellar walked past her and her friends commenting "ooo, can anyone smell fish?" There does seem to be some antagonism between gay men and lesbians.

I would like to point out that i'm not territorial and don't have any antagonism to any blokes gay or straight oh and i definitely don't go round slapping people, I can't vouch for the other half though Lol!

Well a lesbian acquaintance of mine went on a night out to canal street in manchester, and got very upset after some gay fellar walked past her and her friends commenting "ooo, can anyone smell fish?" There does seem to be some antagonism between gay men and lesbians.

I would like to point out that i'm not territorial and don't have any antagonism to any blokes gay or straight oh and i definitely don't go round slapping people, I can't vouch for the other half though Lol!

How did she know he was gay?