Hebden Bridge

jez1954

Featured Posts

I went for a walk yesterday along the towpath of the Rochdale canal and was surprised at the deteriorating condition of many of the boats - narrowboats, widebeams and the odd cruiser(particularly those on the permanent moorings). Not just the boats themselves but also associated equipment stored on board and mooring lines etc. Some looked more like floating versions of Steptoe's yard. The cleanest boats seemed to be the hire boats from Shire Cruises at Sowerby Bridge.

Being relatively new to boating, it's the first time I've paid particular attention to the condition of moored boats when out walking, and when we later stopped off at Skipton there was a marked contrast in the condition of the boats moored there - the vast majority being clean and in a very good state of repair indeed. Is it a symptom of the recession that people sadly can't afford the upkeep anymore and why such a difference between Hebden Bridge and Skipton?

Jez

I went for a walk yesterday along the towpath of the Rochdale canal and was surprised at the deteriorating condition of many of the boats - narrowboats, widebeams and the odd cruiser(particularly those on the permanent moorings). Not just the boats themselves but also associated equipment stored on board and mooring lines etc. Some looked more like floating versions of Steptoe's yard. The cleanest boats seemed to be the hire boats from Shire Cruises at Sowerby Bridge.

Being relatively new to boating, it's the first time I've paid particular attention to the condition of moored boats when out walking, and when we later stopped off at Skipton there was a marked contrast in the condition of the boats moored there - the vast majority being clean and in a very good state of repair indeed. Is it a symptom of the recession that people sadly can't afford the upkeep anymore and why such a difference between Hebden Bridge and Skipton?

Jez

The canal at Hebden Bridge is one of the last outposts of the hippy lifestyle. Most of the boat residents reject the values of what they see as the middle classes despite being moored in a mdddle class town.

I can't remember their name now. But there is a small community up there that think about things like carbon footprint, sustainablility, recycling and so on. No excuse to be plain messy, if you ask me. But maybe it was their stretch you walked past? They have some deal with the council and their residential moorings are very reasonably priced, but you have to sign on agreeing to live in a sustainable, low impact way on board. Which isn't allways low impact on the eyes ;) But they have actually done something about things they think are important. So all the respect to them, I say. It's more than the rest of us have done.

Edited by Caprifool
  • Greenie 2

The canal at Hebden Bridge is one of the last outposts of the hippy lifestyle. Most of the boat residents reject the values of what they see as the middle classes despite being moored in a mdddle class town.

Its strange isnt it that most "middle class" folk would see themselves as affluent if they could afford a boat yet these "hippies" as you call them cant see the "luxury" of the lifestyle they aspire to live. Maybe its some kind of inverted snobbery!! :wacko:

I can't remember their name now. But there is a small community up there that think about things like carbon footprint, sustainablility, recycling and such things. No excuse to be plain messy, if you ask me. But maybe it was their streach you walked past? They have some deal with the council and their residential moorings are very reasonably priced, but you have to sign on agreeing to live in a sustainable, low impact way on board. Which isn't allways low impact on the eyes ;) But they have actually done something about things they think are important. So all the respect to them, I say. It's more than the rest of us have done.

Sounds like the 'Agenda 21' moorings in Oxford.

Now seen as more a financial asset when selling your boat than a way of life

oooooooooooh!

ooooooooooh.jpg

Did your wife run off with a hippie on a scruffy boat, perchance? ;)

• Greenie 1

Not able to swear by it. But I think the ones I'm thinking about can not be passed on. You have to apply and be accepted by the others. And if I remember it properly, there's a waiting list.

Ngaa.....why didn't I bookmark it?! :banghead:

I can't remember their name now. But there is a small community up there that think about things like carbon footprint, sustainablility, recycling and so on. No excuse to be plain messy, if you ask me. But maybe it was their stretch you walked past? They have some deal with the council and their residential moorings are very reasonably priced, but you have to sign on agreeing to live in a sustainable, low impact way on board. Which isn't allways low impact on the eyes ;) But they have actually done something about things they think are important. So all the respect to them, I say. It's more than the rest of us have done.

I went to a sustainability event they put on in Hebden Bridge last Saturday, low impact doesn't really describe it, pathetic is the word that comes to mind. We did buy some gooseberries though.

Thanks, I think that must have been it - I did pass a sign saying "residential moorings" and there were a few blokes hanging round with dreadlocks, oh and a canal side shop offering free water reducing things for shower heads.

Still can't reconcile sustainability with rusting, poorly maintained boats though. I would have thought the opposite - the better you maintain your boat the longer it lasts!

Jez

From the time I first encountered it, I've regarded the Hebden Bridge Green Community as a bit of a con. Looking round the shop, I couldn't find anything that A. I didn't do already or B. was rather pathetic.

Just up the canal is the so-called Callis Community Gardens (near Callis Lock), set up to foster and demonstrate a sustainable lifestyle by the boaters there. Was this what you saw? Any suburban allotment holder can do 100% better than that. A couple of years ago they (almost) all suddenly got licences, though.

If you are rejecting a 'middle-class' lifestyle, then it should be for a more worthwhile one. I don't think this is.

Mac

From the time I first encountered it, I've regarded the Hebden Bridge Green Community as a bit of a con. Looking round the shop, I couldn't find anything that A. I didn't do already or B. was rather pathetic.

Just up the canal is the so-called Callis Community Gardens (near Callis Lock), set up to foster and demonstrate a sustainable lifestyle by the boaters there. Was this what you saw? Any suburban allotment holder can do 100% better than that. A couple of years ago they (almost) all suddenly got licences, though.

If you are rejecting a 'middle-class' lifestyle, then it should be for a more worthwhile one. I don't think this is.

Mac

A few years ago (I can't remember exactly when) boaters on the Rochdale were made to get licences for the first time. There was an article on Look North with a woman who had two kids protesting vehemently that the licence fee and new rules would make it impossible for her to live on the cut and send her children to school. Neither she nor her partner worked. They paid no mooring fees, no licence fee, no CT, no taxes. No wonder she was upset.

Edited by AlanH

Most of these old boats have been there a good number of years now and add to the canal in my opinion.

Hebden Bridge itself has become a bit of a strange old place over the past 20yrs or so, bit like an all year round Glastonbury festival. Its now full of people all desperately striving to be different but they have all ended up the same. This link from the Hebweb http://www.hebdenbridge.co.uk/bridge/index.html give a tongue in cheek view of HB if you follow through from Springtime in Milltown.

Still love the place though.

Most of these old boats have been there a good number of years now and add to the canal in my opinion.

Hebden Bridge itself has become a bit of a strange old place over the past 20yrs or so, bit like an all year round Glastonbury festival. Its now full of people all desperately striving to be different but they have all ended up the same. This link from the Hebweb http://www.hebdenbri...idge/index.html give a tongue in cheek view of HB if you follow through from Springtime in Milltown.

Still love the place though.

We went to the picture house on Saturday night to see what turned out to be a pretty awful french film, Potiche. It was the first time I can remember a ripple of applause at the end of a film.

Hebden Bridge was a great place to leave my boat for a few days. A good mooring with rings just beyond the 24hr moorings and a five minute walk to the very attractive station through the park. It's a nice town, quiet and civilised in a beautiful setting. The pubs are a bit disappointing though, more like licenced cafes.

I don't understand how a number of paint peeling floating rust buckets all moored one behind t'other can achieve this. Appreciate that this is your opinion - I just don't see it myself that's all. Bit like saying that dog poo is just nature so leave it on the path where it gets deposited - it adds to the foot/tow path.

Jez

• Greenie 1

I don't understand how a number of paint peeling floating rust buckets all moored one behind t'other can achieve this. Appreciate that this is your opinion - I just don't see it myself that's all. Bit like saying that dog poo is just nature so leave it on the path where it gets deposited - it adds to the foot/tow path.

Jez

What a barmy comparison.

So what are we to have on our canals. Lines of shiny boat, all the same. There,s a place for all.

You have the option. If you dont like Hebdens boats dont go to Hebden.

I was up there at easter holidaying and visiting family. I love the Rochdale, but have to admit that the stationary boating community is becoming a bit of an eyesore. The colonised area between towpath and river seems to be expanding, more junk than allotments.

I'm prepared to live and let live.

Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the attitude of the hippy community, who held an anti-monarchy street party on the day of the Royal Wedding. Excessively loud music, and some rude and offensive behaviour towards ordinary people just going about their business and enjoying the glorious weather and the canal.

My Grandad would turn in his grave if he could see Hebden Bridge today. All the mills and industry gone, and the town filled with shops selling pot pourri and scented candles etc.

I was up there at easter holidaying and visiting family. I love the Rochdale, but have to admit that the stationary boating community is becoming a bit of an eyesore. The colonised area between towpath and river seems to be expanding, more junk than allotments.

Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the attitude of the hippy community, who held an anti-monarchy street party on the day of the Royal Wedding. Excessively loud music, and some rude and offensive behaviour towards ordinary people just going about their business and enjoying the glorious weather and the canal.

My Grandad would turn in his grave if he could see Hebden Bridge today. All the mills and industry gone, and the town filled with shops selling pot pourri and scented candles etc.

Agree with every word. The Times a couple of years ago described Hebden Bridge as 'a drugs town with a tourist problem'. I much prefer Sowerby Bridge, where I moor in the winter - much more down to earth, better pubs, no arty-crafty tourist tat.

What a barmy comparison.

So what are we to have on our canals. Lines of shiny boat, all the same. There,s a place for all.

You have the option. If you dont like Hebdens boats dont go to Hebden.

I like it. I don't want to live in a sterile environment, to me, it's dull, like a Singaporean shopping mall.

I like Hebden very much, didn't see any eyesores when we were there in 2009 - did I visit the same place as everyone else?

Agree with every word. The Times a couple of years ago described Hebden Bridge as 'a drugs town with a tourist problem'. I much prefer Sowerby Bridge, where I moor in the winter - much more down to earth, better pubs, no arty-crafty tourist tat.

Have to agree there. I prefer Sowerby Bridge to Hebden for pubs and in general, plus one of the best Indians, in the Syhiba, for miles inc Bradford

According to Stuart Maconie's book "Pies and Prejudice" as well as my experience of the place: Hebden Bridge would be a ghost town if it weren't for the hippies moving in and squatting, then buying property when industry moved out.

Fair to say that bit of the Rochdale is an anachronism in that for many years it was effectively a licence desert (they weren't needed bar a Peel licence that was never enforced) and became a refuge much the same as the K&A is perceived to be, but without such restrictive enforcement.

No doubt it needs to evolve to catch up with the rest of the system, but as a memory of times go by I, for one, celebrate it's continued existence.

No doubt it will evolve, but why push it?

Sorry over wound this one.

The stretch of canal "taken over" by this community is what? About 100yds? If they keep themselves to their selves i see no harm, but, if as you say they become offensive then that is out of order and unfortunately its not the first time i have heard of intimidatory actions from this community.

As for mills and industry all this valley, Littleborough, Tod, Hebden, Sowerby etc have suffered but Hebden still seems to prosper through its quirkiness.