BONES

Bones

Featured Posts

Bones.

I bought Bones in June 2005 off a very nice chap who needed to get his priorities right. I feel in love with her instantly - not least because of the huge front deck. She started out as a family holiday boat, and harbours many happy memories from those days. She is now in my hands, and I am converting her to a live aboard and a home. She was built in 1987.

DSC00638.jpg

I will re-paint her, but not yet. So far I have been concentrating on the interior, and after much work already she has transformed!

As many of you know I have an intimate relationship with the starter motor on this boat, and after much trouble removing her I wrote to the previous owner and asked if there was a knack (which I can't spell). So, here is the process:

To withdraw the starter motor this is the procedure (and only do it when you have to)

Split the flexible coupling using a socket set.

Remove the nuts on the 2 rear flexible mounts.

With a mini jack (small scissor jack) under the gearbox, jack up the back of the engine.

With a medium sized socket set with a 6-8 inch extension, undo the 3 bolts. The top one is the only one you need. The others are only there for show.

Hey presto the starter motor falls out.

If you get another one, you will need to file off the corners for it to fit back in the slot.

Nowt to it then is there?! :lol:

Its amazing really! I knew it wasn't simple..! I am getting someone to come and look at it, sort it out on wednesday. I think I will get him to recondition it while he is at it, Once it is out I don't want to have to deal with it again. !!!

I do so hope it iwll be a lovely home.

Its amazing really! I knew it wasn't simple..! I am getting someone to come and look at it, sort it out on wednesday. I think I will get him to recondition it while he is at it, Once it is out I don't want to have to deal with it again. !!!

I do so hope it iwll be a lovely home.

sorry that sounds very cheesy indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blah,.

Though it pains me to rekindle the subject of The Starter Motor From Hell, I advise that the Startermotormeister be requested to investigate why only one of the three securing bolts is doing anything. This is a potential problem and could probably be sorted quite easily, and when better than when it's being removed anyway. It may be ok but I would worry that the starter could be damaged or do damage to the ring gear unless it was securely two- or three-point fixed.

I will be delighted to learn that th'expert tells me I am worrying unduly, but sometimes Job's Comforters can be useful (still a pain in the arse though).

Bones,

Never, ever apologise for being passionate about something(body) you love.

Jill :lol:

No, seriously, it was very cheesy! I only love one person... for whom I am happy to wear dolies

Though it pains me to rekindle the subject of The Starter Motor From Hell, I advise that the Startermotormeister be requested to investigate why only one of the three securing bolts is doing anything. This is a potential problem and could probably be sorted quite easily, and when better than when it's being removed anyway. It may be ok but I would worry that the starter could be damaged or do damage to the ring gear unless it was securely two- or three-point fixed.

I will be delighted to learn that th'expert tells me I am worrying unduly, but sometimes Job's Comforters can be useful (still a pain in the arse though).

job's conforters are the only!!!! ;)

Hi Bones

Good looking boat and as wrigglefingers (jill) says (paraphrase) there's nowt wrong about being passionate about the things or people you love.

I am with Alec on the number of bolts that should be fitted correctly, if it only needed one the manufactureres would only fit one (cost control).

With out being technical the forces involved are quite high, with the use of the starter there is a force that trys to push the starter away from the engine (there is also a twisting force) and if only one bolt is used it will have to take all those forces and not share it with the others. If I remember rightly the starter was loose quite recently and you had to refit (tighten) the bolts. I would suggest you try to make all three fixings secure.

Good luck

Edited by bottle

Hi Bones

Good looking boat and as wrigglefingers (jill) says (paraphrase) there's nowt wrong about being passionate about the things or people you love.

I am with Alec on the number of bolts that should be fitted correctly, if it only needed one the manufactureres would only fit one (cost control).

With out being technical the forces involved are quite high, with the use of the starter there is a force that trys to push the starter away from the engine (there is also a twisting force) and if only one bolt is used it will have to take all those forces and not share it with the others. If I remember rightly the starter was loose quite recently and you had to refit (tighten) the bolts. I would suggest try you make an effort to make all three fixings secure.

Good luck

I did fit them all very securely - although I could only find three of the two, but I did hold it and it was firm under load!

I have obviously learnt that the starter is another unique feature of my nightmare boat, but I do think getting someone else to do it is the right thing in this case.

Although I want to sink this boat, I do periodically look at it and like it. I will like it even more if it moves. My criteria for a boat is that it moves.......

I did fit them all very securely - although I could only find three of the two, but I did hold it and it was firm under load!

I have obviously learnt that the starter is another unique feature of my nightmare boat, but I do think getting someone else to do it is the right thing in this case.

Although I want to sink this boat, I do periodically look at it and like it. I will like it even more if it moves. My criteria for a boat is that it moves.......

P.S thanks for the luck! I need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

To withdraw the starter motor ...

Split the flexible coupling using a socket set.

Remove the nuts on the 2 rear flexible mounts.

With a mini jack (small scissor jack) under the gearbox, jack up the back of the engine.

With a medium sized socket set with a 6-8 inch extension, undo the 3 bolts. The top one is the only one you need. The others are only there for show.

Hey presto the starter motor falls out.

If you get another one, you will need to file off the corners for it to fit back in the slot.

Nice :lol:

- I take it its all a bit a tight squeeze in there then!

Im with the others on the bolt thing as well, i havnt seen the instaltion, or why only one bolt is used, but i would have though two bolts was a bear minumum to hold it properly still.

Daniel

Edited by dhutch

P.S thanks for the luck! I need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

We all wish you luck Bones - just keep showing us the pictures, especally the 'before' and 'afterwards' ones that show us all the progress you make in creating your own dream home.

Nice :lol:

- I take it its all a bit a tight squeeze in there then!

Im with the other on the bolt thing as well, i havnt seen the instaltion, or why only one bolt is used, but i would have though two bolts was a bear minumum to hold it properly still.

Daniel

Yes I'll second all that too!

We all wish you luck Bones - just keep showing us the pictures, especally the 'before' and 'afterwards' ones that show us all the progress you make in creating your own dream home.

Yeah, seconded. Before/After photos are good!

What are dolies?

A late night typo? It should be "doilies" - those lace things your grandmother had on her dressing table to stand jars and brushes on, or those paper lacey things your mother put on the cake plate. Bones wearing 'em conjures up all sorts of images best left alone on a Sunday morning! :lol:

A late night typo? It should be "doilies" - those lace things your grandmother had on her dressing table to stand jars and brushes on, or those paper lacey things your mother put on the cake plate. Bones wearing 'em conjures up all sorts of images best left alone on a Sunday morning! :lol:

Hello Paul

I know what doilies are but didn't think "dolies" was a typo for them. If it was, then the original message still makes little sense to me, about wearing them. People, even those of a dressing up for a partner turn of mind, wouldn't normally wear them would they? Maybe I've led too sheltered a life. Bones?

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

Well bones, along with the pictures of the boat, I think one or two of you modelling the latest in doilies is called for, just to remove any confusion of course!

Oh dear - I just don't know how to respond!!!! :lol:

I wonder where I got Doilies from!!!! However, now I think about it, I think Doilies should be re-introduced as essential tablewear. ;)

Just put them on and post a pic, hehehhe

Pirate is clearly a scoundrel and cad of the first order. :lol:

Everybody knows that lace doilies were cut into collars for blouses when they had passed on from their original purpose of adorning the front parlour table. All makes sense now. Bu**er to get the oil out of them after a hard day sorting out a starter motor though.

Jill

edited for sense!

Edited by wrigglefingers

couple more pictures.

One of the front of the boat:

DSC01083.jpg

and this is the inside of the boat looking towards the galley. I can't remember whether this is me taking it down or the previous owner putting it together. it took about 50seconds to dismantle most of it so I expect this is it being put together! The front was a diner bit and the galley is to the rear. The seat is a water tank.

LateAutumn87fore.jpg

I removed the water tank (and the other 2 in the boat) and put a new tank underneath the front deck in this space....

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c392/Jazz4_99/DSC01228.jpg

The water tank went behind the metal bar, and thus I still have plenty of storage at the front - or a hideaway when I feel like being in an enclosed space. The water tank is 96gallons.

I also decided I could do with a couple of pets, so I drew myself and owl

DSC01188.jpg

and a squirrel

DSC01189.jpg

I painted a bulkhead and then drew these on the paint. They are in my dining room. Which used to be a bunk room:

This photo is take from the bunk room through to the kitchen and towards the front of the boat. A bunk is on the right. part of the bunk protruded into the kitchen (into a cupboard without a door). there were also bunks on the other side.

DSC01085.jpg

Edited by Bones

Before:

LateAutumn87fore.jpg

After:

Bones1.jpg

As you can see I have painted the tongue and groove, I am not sure whether I think this was a good idea, but I needed to do it. I found the boat rather sole destroying after I had ripped out the old, and the woodwork looked AWFUL after I had replaced the floor with laminate. Painting it really brightened it up, and helped me look at it with a slightly kinder eye. On reflection I could have done nothing with the tongue and groove other than pull it down and replace it (and what horrors would I have found). I don't think it would have survived a sanding down and re-varnish.

I secured most of it back up onto the ceiling or walls with screws into battons that were already there (it was nailed before and nails don't last as long as screws!)

Edited by Bones