BONES

Bones

Featured Posts

Well Bones,

firstly I will also add congratulations to your efforts at getting the engine started successfully. With that, and your success with your neighbours engine, I think you should be promoted to 'expert' on engines and we should pay careful heed to your advice in future. (That'll put the noses of Dan, John and others 'out of joint'! :)

Rest assured that the fitting of B&Q handles is fraught with dangers! Having carefully used a template to ensure I had got it right when fitting handles to the galley cupboards, it was a day or so later when I realised that the final handle had been fitted out of line! I blame the Assie Shiraz. I've not corrected the error yet - it adds character! Maybe.

Nail polish prevents screws from loosening.

A hair brush is good for itching a back

and handbags are for tools.

Phew! Thanks for that. What a relief. :)

Mental image is back on track :)

========================

and before anyone gets the wrong idea, that's just how I like 'em

and Mrs. Mole doesn't do handbags or make-up either :):)

Edited by Moley

you guys make me laugh!!!! :):)

Just incase anyone is interested, I am trying to do a web blog www.mortimerbones.blogspot.com It probably won't say anything different to on here, but it keeps me amused!

Rest assured that the fitting of B&Q handles is fraught with dangers!

I recently fitted the handles on a line of new bathroom cupboards.

They were mostly pairs, except for one 300mm wide "fill-in" unit that had a single door.

I carefully measured the distance between the screw holes, then marked all the cupboards, using a laser level, very carefully making sure all the holes were the same distance in from the edge. I then went along with the drill, making the holes, being very carefull to keep the drill straight.

then I started fitting the handles. First pair went on - spot on! Looked straight, were in line, good job.

Went to open the door on the narrow unit and it wouldn't open. Couldn't understand what was holding it. Eventually it did open and yes - the holes were drilled very neatly and accurately on the hinge side.

Couldn't just turn the door over as the handles weren't vertically central, so had to drill out new blind holes for the hinges on the othe side. Doh.

Dor!!! I just read that and cracked up laughing! My office mates must think my paper on cone selective adaptation (don't ask) is terribly interesting (it's not!).

What an absolute hoot!

I recently fitted the handles on a line of new bathroom cupboards.

They were mostly pairs, except for one 300mm wide "fill-in" unit that had a single door.

I carefully measured the distance between the screw holes, then marked all the cupboards, using a laser level, very carefully making sure all the holes were the same distance in from the edge. I then went along with the drill, making the holes, being very carefull to keep the drill straight.

then I started fitting the handles. First pair went on - spot on! Looked straight, were in line, good job.

Went to open the door on the narrow unit and it wouldn't open. Couldn't understand what was holding it. Eventually it did open and yes - the holes were drilled very neatly and accurately on the hinge side.

Couldn't just turn the door over as the handles weren't vertically central, so had to drill out new blind holes for the hinges on the othe side. Doh.

Glad its not just me who does such things :)

Dor!!! I just read that and cracked up laughing!

What an absolute hoot!

Oh Bones! There's a name for that. Schadenfreude. Not Nice. Stop it! :)

Catweasel, I think we've all done it.

The old adage says “measure twice, cut once”

So how can Dor and others like myself measure 6 times and still screw up :)

Oh Bones! There's a name for that. Schadenfreude. Not Nice. Stop it! :)

Catweasel, I think we've all done it.

The old adage says “measure twice, cut once”

So how can Dor and others like myself measure 6 times and still screw up :)

Not sure Bones, but I never seem to get it right either, no matter how many times I measure ......

Moley, every woman knows that a handbag is the the place to keep a cordless drill in. It fits very nicely in mine, which is handy as it won't fit in my pocket comfortably. My handbag currently contains wallet, keys (boat, house and car), cheque book, numerous stubby screwdrivers, medium-sized rat-tailed rasp, two drill bits together with afore-mentioned drill, a jigsaw blade (ripcut), council tax bill, assorted bits of paper, emery paper and a packet of origami paper.

I would like to put, y'know, girly stuff in there but it's too bloody useful for the essentials of life. I dunno how men manage without one personally. :)

Jill

• 1 month later...

I haven't done an enormous amount of work on the boat of late, just the general potter and enjoyment of trying to work out what to do next and how to do it.

This morning my beloved and I realised we both had a day off, and decided to do something with the boat.

I now have red walls, pillar box red walls in the dining room.

I am distressed. :P

Beloved says it looks fabulous - this is coming from Mr " I am going to paint my house white". Little miss "my favourite colour is black" can't quite come to terms with it.

:huh:;);)

I haven't done an enormous amount of work on the boat of late, just the general potter and enjoyment of trying to work out what to do next and how to do it.

This morning my beloved and I realised we both had a day off, and decided to do something with the boat.

I now have red walls, pillar box red walls in the dining room.

I am distressed. :P

Beloved says it looks fabulous - this is coming from Mr " I am going to paint my house white". Little miss "my favourite colour is black" can't quite come to terms with it.

:huh:;);)

Awwww sounds lovely.......hehehehe

Over the weekend I replaced the floor in the dining room and painted the walls:

DSC01582.jpg

I am very pleased to have got rid of the carpet in there as it was impossible to keep clean and was full of dust!

I have also fixed the new panels to the glass section of the front doors:

DSC01580.jpg

If you zoom in on it you will see the appauling state of the exterior paint work! :)

Hi Bones.

That looks really good, I am a big fan of the use of colour in narrowboats, bland featureless light oak everywhere can get very boring.

One of these days I will manage to post some photo's of my boat.

Cheers John.

I was surprised how different it made the area feel, and it certainly seems more like a room. I was rather overwhelmed when I first did it, but it looks good now - the dining room seems bigger too - another benefit of colour.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your boat.

I am still struggling to know where to put my wardrobe.

Cheers John.

I was surprised how different it made the area feel, and it certainly seems more like a room. I was rather overwhelmed when I first did it, but it looks good now - the dining room seems bigger too - another benefit of colour.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your boat.

Have you designed your wardrobe yet. A full height one can be one of those things that makes your boat feel very small. Assuming you don't have ball gowns to hang up, measure the height of your longest garment along with a hanger. Allow 10 inches below for shoes or whatever and 4 inches above for the rail.

You may be surprised how low it can be, from memory mine is no more that 54 inches.

In a simillar way measure 'across the shoulders' you will find much less depth is required that may imagine.

Edited by John Orentas

but it looks good now - the dining room seems bigger too - another benefit of colour.

Bones, paint the area where the wardrobe's goin'........then you'll have more room........then it'll be much easier :)

Seriously tho', keep up the blog......great readin'.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bones

I expect you have already thought of this, if so just tell me to butt out, some protection for the timber at the side of the cooker would be a good idea.

Particularly level with the top of the cooker as quite a lot of heat is pushed sideways when the burners are alight and pans on top.

Looks good though. :help:

Hi Bones

I expect you have already thought of this, if so just tell me to butt out, some protection for the timber at the side of the cooker would be a good idea.

Particularly level with the top of the cooker as quite a lot of heat is pushed sideways when the burners are alight and pans on top.

Looks good though. :help:

Yep. I am going to get the connections checked first then I will tile for england!!!

Yep. I am going to get the connections checked first then I will tile for england!!!

I was quite surprised just how much heat goes back and sideways, so I'm pulling ours out and fixing whatever's-the-modern-equivalent-to-asbestos board to the timber, then tiling the bit that's still visible. Only a quarter of an inch thick, 4ft x 2ft sheet, about nine quid in B&Q.

Looking good though :help:

We had a similar problem with finding space for a wardrobe so as a temporary solution we bought 2 of those hanging wardrobe things ( a kind of hanging canvas shelf affair ) . Which can hold enough clothes for the three of us for a fortnight, I then cut a broom handle the same width as the shower and fitted two brackets each side , the arrangement allows for the wardrobes to be lifted out and placed on temporary brackets from the ceiling while you have a shower , it can then be placed back in the shower for the remaining 23.5hrs that the shower is not in use. All started off as a temporary solution for the occasional two week holiday that we have a year but was so successful has become permanent.