BONES

Bones

Featured Posts

Before and after my a**e!

You've flogged the first boat and bought a widebeam :lol:

that made me laugh outloud!! Most embaressing in a shared office!!!!

Painting it did make it feel alot more spacious!

Edited by Bones

that made me laugh outloud!! Most embaressing in a shared office!!!!

Painting it did make it feel alot more spacious!

By 'eck Bones ya makin' a grand job of ya boat.

Edited by Maffi

This is the bunk room being dismantled....

bunkrm.jpg

and the same for the kitchen.... this unit was actually well built!

galley.jpg

I bought the squirrell and all components from Uxbridge boat centre who have provided excellent service and care. I had been looking at it all until one very cold evening when I was so cold I thought I was going to be sick, so I went onto the roof with my drill and jigsaw and set to drilling a hole in the roof. It was so cold, my pint glass of water actually froze!!!!!!

I inserted the collar into the new hole and sealed around it with high temperature silicon gel, I did use fire cement the first time, but realised my mistake when it started raining - fire cement is not waterproof and takes ages to go off! The silicon sealent is red, and so is my roof - phew!!!! :lol:

fireplace.jpg

The stove sits on a peice of marble I found behind a gate and managed to buy off the owner, which in turn sits on a 2x2 frame of wood. The stove is secured through the marble (I drilled a hole) onto a piece of ply that sits under the marble on the 2x2 frame. The

The flu fits tighly into the stove, but I put fire cement around it anyway, and then up through the ceiling into the collar. I cut the ply wood back quite a way - and cut the insulation (polystyrene) back even further - as far as my claws would reach. I have fire board over the top of it (a square thereof). I also used fire proof rope where the flu meets the roof collar but that is a tight fit also and it took a while to shove it up there!

The surround is fireproof board again secured either onto ply and then the cabinet in the kitchen, or on a frame and to the battens on the hull. I used felixble tile adhesive and am still amazed they are still stuck on the board. I did not treat the board becuase I got confused.

Tiling is veyr messy and great fun. They are put up with character.....!!! (I never claim to reach the dizzy heights of amateur in my fitout, rather with good humour!)

Thats the stove. I don't think I have missed anything. The door did leak at first, but I took it off, took it to uxbridge and they sorted it out without no hassle.

Edited by Bones

Probably too late for you now but it is not a good thing to have a tight fit at both ends of the stove pipe. The considerable expansion and contraction of the pipe with extremes of temperature can be enough to lift the stove off it's base and damage the fixings.

Best left with flexible sealed joints using the high temp. sealant.

Probably too late for you now but it is not a good thing to have a tight fit at both ends of the stove pipe. The considerable expansion and contraction of the pipe with extremes of temperature can be enough to lift the stove off it's base and damage the fixings.

Best left with flexible sealed joints using the high temp. sealant.

damn damn damn!!!!! :lol:

I did shove the rope up at the top (where flu meets collar) but really the stove and flu were tight, but by that I mean it slotted in and there weren't huge gaps.... hmmm.... How can I check?

I am now wondering whether the rope was meant to go around the stove door (thus the problems with it) rather than between the fly and the collar... is that right?! If so I will just pull it out again!!!!! DOH!

Here is the back of my new distribution board. The one before was impossible, so it is now mounted on a new piece of ply, on the left hand side of the back door. The electrics before were a nightmare, totally impossible, and very like moleys apart from very clearly frayed, bent cables with bare cable showing in part. Also they were wrapped up in insulating tape (agh!) and changed colour half way through - agh agh. I just wish I had taken a picture of it before hand - I know you wouldn't beleive how bad it was. Many many professionals had a look at it and said it was the worst wiring they had ever seen.

board.jpg

This is pretty! It really is, but if you don't think it is, it is probably because of the angle. Not all the wiring is new - the engine wiring needs to be sorted out still (nightmare nightmare)

I absolutely don't understand electricity nor starter motors. I don't know why I don't but it makes my brain explode. I am going to go on a course either in April or August in a vague attempt to see whether that will Help! I have read books on the matter, but it just doesn't go in :lol:

I absolutely don't understand electricity nor starter motors. I don't know why I don't but it makes my brain explode. I am going to go on a course either in April or August in a vague attempt to see whether that will Help! I have read books on the matter, but it just doesn't go in :lol:

Bones,

It looks absolutely wonderful inside now; it just goes to show what can be achieved. I agree about electricity though. I'm trying to work out what kind of brain you need to be able to follow this stuff easily 'cos it's a real struggle for me too.

Loved the drawings too, I've always been fascinated by skeletons - the Natural History Museum was a favourite haunt as a child growing up. Are they observed from actual skeletons or a different source?

Regards,

Jill

board.jpg

This is pretty! It really is.

Yeah, thats not bad at all! Very neet looking.

I think the stove will be proberbly be ok with the silicon at the top to allow some 'give'

- Just keep an eye on the fire cement at the bottom, and replave it with silicon is it starts to crack/leak.

Daniel

I think the stove will be proberbly be ok with the silicon at the top to allow some 'give'

- Just keep an eye on the fire cement at the bottom, and replave it with silicon is it starts to crack/leak.

Daniel

Oh, I didn't do it!!! My very very good friend on another boat did it!!!! He's on a purple boat called wild goose - and is enormous fun... do stop and wave at him if you see him! (Moley - he LOVES whisky!)

Bones,

It looks absolutely wonderful inside now; it just goes to show what can be achieved. I agree about electricity though. I'm trying to work out what kind of brain you need to be able to follow this stuff easily 'cos it's a real struggle for me too.

Loved the drawings too, I've always been fascinated by skeletons - the Natural History Museum was a favourite haunt as a child growing up. Are they observed from actual skeletons or a different source?

Regards,

Jill

Jill - I can only conclude the answer is A MANS (but not my mans!)

(that sounds a bit like Amen.... having said that, my beloved has prayed over a couple of things which to my horror have instantly started working.....

I'm trying to work out what kind of brain you need to be able to follow this stuff easily 'cos it's a real struggle for me too.

Jill

There is a good book to help. To avoid copyright problems, if you google this, you should find out where to see it. I did this for a friend a week or two ago on the Dawncraft forum.

"12volthandbook.pdf" Just copy that into google and it should work.

Bit of bedtime reading occasionally for a few weeks and you should begin to get some idea. I did, and I definately required a 'refresher'

There is a good book to help. To avoid copyright problems, if you google this, you should find out where to see it. I did this for a friend a week or two ago on the Dawncraft forum.

Bit of bedtime reading occasionally for a few weeks and you should begin to get some idea. I did, and I definately required a 'refresher'

damn damn - this is a fine example of how carp I am... I can get it in any language but english!! Can you pm me the link?! :lol: its electrics... anything with the title in makes me fuzzy!!!!!

damn damn - this is a fine example of how carp I am... I can get it in any language but english!! Can you pm me the link?! :D its electrics... anything with the title in makes me fuzzy!!!!!

I am queen! I have found it. :);):D:D:D:D

I just love reading this thread - Bones I thnk you've got the perfect balance between 100% professionalism but no enjoyment, against 100% enjoyment but no success; you're working wonders and enjoying it too! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Don't worry about the electric bits, some people can draw skeletons and others (like me) can do electrics but couldn't draw even a wiggly line. But as long as you know what you can't do, there's always someone else who can.

Allan

I just love reading this thread - Bones I thnk you've got the perfect balance between 100% professionalism but no enjoyment, against 100% enjoyment but no success; you're working wonders and enjoying it too! Thanks for posting the pictures.

Don't worry about the electric bits, some people can draw skeletons and others (like me) can do electrics but couldn't draw even a wiggly line. But as long as you know what you can't do, there's always someone else who can.

Allan

aww thanks Allan. personally I would prefer to do electrics! Far more practical!!!!

Malc,

You are clearly super! Found it and stored it by my bed for later.

Knee deep in curtains and covers at the moment; that's the kind of thing I'm good at!

Many thanks,

Jill

Daniel

fire cement - hmm its cracked and I have peale dit off, I will replenish it at the weekend. I don't want silicon there - I want black there, that silicon sealent is red and will make my eyebrows wobble!

fire cement - hmm its cracked and I have peale dit off, I will replenish it at the weekend. I don't want silicon there - I want black there, that silicon sealent is red and will make my eyebrows wobble!

Hi Bones

I think you are talking about the stove to chimney connection if so do it from inside the chimney if you can reach, via the stove. Maybe a bit awkward but you will not then see it. Fire cement will always crack as it is not flexible and will not allow for the expansion and contraction.

Edited by bottle

Hmm that sounds weird! Sorry chaps!

I don't want silicon there - I want black there, that silicon sealent is red and will make my eyebrows wobble!

You can get high-temp silicon in black if you really try, apprently.

- however, we just put up with it being red, it soon darkens down to be ok.

Daniel

Hi again Bones

Did you see my post, I was editing as you posted, just wondered. :lol:

cheers bottle! I might have a go at it.... At the moment it isn't leaking, but it is good to have the tips for when it does!

Edited by Bones

Hi Bones

In theory when the fire is alight there will not be any leaks as the 'draw' of the chimney will tend to suck air in and up, it is when the 'draw' is insufficient (low fire) that there could be problems (carbon monoxide) that is why we seal it.

As Daniel says black sealant is available but difficult to find so as I said if you use it inside you will not see it and it will allow the chimney to expand and contract.

I have seen a cast iron pipe crack where it was not allowed to move (my fault)

Thanks for the tip Bottle, I had a look at the stove today, and it should be pretty easy to do!

I am absolutely itching to show you this:

DSC01514.jpg

it be what we call the 'starter motor 'ole' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: The starter motor is now wrapped up in newspaper sitting in a carrier bag ready to go to be re-done!

Big celebrations.

Oh I am enjoying this.

Plenty of information, and thanks for all the pics. Some of your previous posts have been quite self-deprecating (running down your own abilities), so I really am pleasantly surprised (and a bit envious) at what you're managing to achieve and the standards of finish.

Going back to post #29 though, who's in the picures?

Come on, Jill (wrigglefingers) has posted self-portraits and crew pics, where's yours?