San Serriffe

haggis

Featured Posts

I wonder if anyone on here knows of a boat called San Serriffe? The people on board were very helpful to fellow Sea Otter owners (Peter and Jean) recently when Peter had an accident on the Macclesfield and now that he is out of hospital and a friend has helped get their boat to a marina, they wish to thank the people on san serriffe for their help. Peter knows he can write to them and ask BW to pass the letter on but I wonder if anyone on here might know the owners and ask if thier details can be passed on to Peter and Jean.

haggis

Jim Shead brings up -

SAN SERRIFFE Built by BRAIDBAR BT SERVICES - Length 15.24 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 35. Registered with British Waterways number 53197 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 29-May-2011.

What a curious way to spell it??

Jim Shead brings up -

SAN SERRIFFE Built by BRAIDBAR BT SERVICES - Length 15.24 metres (50 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.61 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 35. Registered with British Waterways number 53197 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 29-May-2011.

Same spelling as the mythical island, invented by the Grauniad as an april fool.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I wonder if anyone on here knows of a boat called San Serriffe? The people on board were very helpful to fellow Sea Otter owners (Peter and Jean) recently when Peter had an accident on the Macclesfield and now that he is out of hospital and a friend has helped get their boat to a marina, they wish to thank the people on san serriffe for their help. Peter knows he can write to them and ask BW to pass the letter on but I wonder if anyone on here might know the owners and ask if thier details can be passed on to Peter and Jean.

haggis

Can be contacted via postmaster@nccc.uk.net

Jim Shead brings up -

What I find even more curious is that the lettering on the side of the boat is full of seriffes!

George ex nb Alton retired

What I find even more curious is that the lettering on the side of the boat is full of seriffes!

George ex nb Alton retired

Yes, I pointed that out to Bev last time we passed.

Apparently "Only you would notice that"

I shall tell her that I'm not the only one!!

Yes, I pointed that out to Bev last time we passed.

Apparently "Only you would notice that"

I shall tell her that I'm not the only one!!

You are not alone. I've pointed that out as well. I can't remember whether they moor at Higher Poynton or Addlington. Definitely one of the two.

We are now at Higher Poynton and I'll have a look when we go to the boat.

You are not alone. I've pointed that out as well. I can't remember whether they moor at Higher Poynton or Addlington. Definitely one of the two.

We are now at Higher Poynton and I'll have a look when we go to the boat.

Hi ...Just to clarify the story behind the name 'San Serriffe'... it was named by the original owner the late Don McPhee, who was the staff photographer on 'The Guardian'. It is named after an April 1st journalistic hoax in the 1970,s where the Guardian dedicated whole pages in their travel section to a mythical island in the Indian Ocean called (you guessed it) San Serriffe.

Name has nothing to do with 'Serifs' (Curly bits on the end of a type face) despite Andy Russell's lettering using a 'Serifs' in the lettering........"what? are you following this?...concentrate......keep up that boy!"

Part of the 'clue' was spelling Sans Serif incorrectly......lots of people, especially Guardian readers did not get this and flooded the Guardian mail-room (before e-mails) with letters asking where to book flights, etc. Even spelling the names of the two Islands as 'Upper Caisse' and Lower Caisse' did not seem to give the game away :)

So there we have it.......with or without Curly bits,we are now moored at 'Jacks' Higher Poynton.

San Serriffe's Dad

(Check out our blog - just put 'travels of narrowboat San Serriffe' into Google ( Two RR's two ff's no serifs)will find us.

Hi ...Just to clarify the story behind the name 'San Serriffe'... it was named by the original owner the late Don McPhee, who was the staff photographer on 'The Guardian'. It is named after an April 1st journalistic hoax in the 1970,s where the Guardian dedicated whole pages in their travel section to a mythical island in the Indian Ocean called (you guessed it) San Serriffe.

Name has nothing to do with 'Serifs' (Curly bits on the end of a type face) despite Andy Russell's lettering using a 'Serifs' in the lettering........"what? are you following this?...concentrate......keep up that boy!"

Part of the 'clue' was spelling Sans Serif incorrectly......lots of people, especially Guardian readers did not get this and flooded the Guardian mail-room (before e-mails) with letters asking where to book flights, etc. Even spelling the names of the two Islands as 'Upper Caisse' and Lower Caisse' did not seem to give the game away :)

So there we have it.......with or without Curly bits,we are now moored at 'Jacks' Higher Poynton.

San Serriffe's Dad

(Check out our blog - just put 'travels of narrowboat San Serriffe' into Google ( Two RR's two ff's no serifs)will find us.

I notice that San Sarriffe's colour scheme is pretty much the same as Briar Rose's!

Interesting to read your tidal Thames trip, as we're planning to do it September.

• 2 years later...

I tripped over your blog when looking for River Avon license info. Planing to take (if winter stoppages allow) our annual November cruise down the Severn and up the Avon to Stratford. Thanks for all the info. Really helpful.

Still trying to work out why a CART River Only short term license is not available to boats moored on CART waters?

Assume we have to buy one from the Avon and one from the Severn?

Still trying to work out why a CART River Only short term license is not available to boats moored on CART waters?

I'd imagine it is because a boat moored on CRT waters would already have a CRT canals and rivers licence, so would not need an additional CRT rivers only licence.

MtB

I'd imagine it is because a boat moored on CRT waters would already have a CRT canals and rivers licence, so would not need an additional CRT rivers only licence.

MtB

Apart, it seems, (thanks Bottle) for the Avon?

Anyway, I'll stop planning until the Winter Stoppages are published.

Edited by canalchef