WARNING!

bizzard

Featured Posts

Most of you are aware i expect,that by leaving your fresh water pump on whilst your boat is unattended,you are in grave danger of flooding your boat out with the contents of the fresh water tank.Only two weeks ago i was called to a N.B. in which this had happened. and had to renew all the bathroom floor.Indeed i had this happen to my own boat 10 years ago.

As most of you know, most water pumps are the on demand type therefor the water system,hot and cold unless a 2 pump system are under constant pressure at 30psi approx. The modern plastic pipe junctions seem the main culprits in my opinion,plus shoddy workmanship of this kind on modern boats.Not using the important pipe end inserts to reinforce the pipe at elbows ect.especially on the hot plastic pipes which are softened by the heat.

Typical dodgy corner cutting,i don't think some boat fitters even know they're necessary. bizzard :help:

Most of you are aware i expect,that by leaving your fresh water pump on whilst your boat is unattended,you are in grave danger of flooding your boat out with the contents of the fresh water tank.

I wonder if a water-in-bilge alarm which also cuts the power to the fresh water pump is a good idea?

MP.

I wonder if a water-in-bilge alarm which also cuts the power to the fresh water pump is a good idea?

MP.

Good idea,i'm all for idea's,but reliability of those things is not great.Better switch pump off in my opinion.

I missed a word out in my post ''INSERT''The wee flanged sleeve which pushes into the end of the plastic pipe before pushing the connections home.And sleep at night with one leg out of bed on the floor in case,an old seamans safeguard..

regards bizzard.

Do people not turn their battery master switch off, when their boat is unattended?

When I leave my boat the only thing still connected is the bilge pump circuit.

I was thinking the same Carl, perhaps not while nipping to the pub (although on Juno we isolate whenever we are not using power) but certainly if leaving the boat unattended, as in overnight.

Do people not turn their battery master switch off, when their boat is unattended?

I expect most do but there are a lot that don't. Electrical appliances of which their memory can be upset and then need re-programing for example,or forget or just don't bother or don't understand,people are a lot less practical than they used to be. bizzard

We often don't because we leave the inverter on to 'trickle charge' the batteries while we are not at the boat.

We do however switch all the 12V circuits off, including both pumps.

I expect most do but there are a lot that don't. Electrical appliances of which their memory can be upset and then need re-programing for example,or forget or just don't bother or don't understand,people are a lot less practical than they used to be. bizzard

Unless hooked up to the mains having anything that needs to be plugged in all the time seems pretty silly, to me.

If they're going to forget to throw the master switch why should they remember to throw the water pump switch?

At the end of the day you can't account for peoples' absent mindedness...That's what insurance is for.

An automatic bilge pump switch, on a separate circuit to the domestics, will save your carpets even if a pipe or joint fails upstream of your water pump.

Typical dodgy corner cutting,i don't think some boat fitters even know they're necessary. bizzard :help:

The manufacturers are to blame for this. On the early ones the instructions specifically stated that the insert was only required if the pipe was being fitted into a compression joint with an olive and that it was not required for use in the "push in" joints.

We often don't because we leave the inverter on to 'trickle charge' the batteries while we are not at the boat.

We do however switch all the 12V circuits off, including both pumps.

My inverter is on a completely separate circuit, to the rest of the domestic power, with its own master switch.

Unless hooked up to the mains having anything that needs to be plugged in all the time seems pretty silly, to me.

If they're going to forget to throw the master switch why should they remember to throw the water pump switch?

At the end of the day you can't account for peoples' absent mindedness...That's what insurance is for.

An automatic bilge pump switch, on a separate circuit to the domestics, will save your carpets even if a pipe or joint fails upstream of your water pump.

In an watery enviroment i wouldn't be relying on an automatic bilge pump or anything electrical to prevent my boat getting flooded out.Insurance my foot, the inconvenience of having perhaps your home flooded out!.I'd be switching pump or isolator switch off i'm afraid.Why are most people these days powering things bonkers all the time, for such an easy and simple task.I lodged this post to try and help people. bizzard

In an watery enviroment i wouldn't be relying on an automatic bilge pump or anything electrical to prevent my boat getting flooded out.Insurance my foot, the inconvenience of having perhaps your home flooded out!.I'd be switching pump or isolator switch off i'm afraid.Why are most people these days powering things bonkers all the time, for such an easy and simple task.I lodged this post to try and help people. bizzard

Having had wooden boats for most of my boating life I'd rather rely on a well maintained float switch than human forgetfulness.

I isolate the batteries when I leave the boat but I'm glad of an automatic bilge pump, to protect my bilges.

I don't know why people are "powering things bonkers all the time", it was you who mentioned electronica that couldn't be turned off. You tell me.

You lodged this post in a discussion forum, btw, so you should expect it to be discussed.

If you want your word to be final set up your own website and give no right of reply.

Switching the water pump off does not protect your boat from pipe or joint failure upstream of the pump. An automatic bilge pump does.

• Greenie 1

Most of you are aware i expect,that by leaving your fresh water pump on whilst your boat is unattended,you are in grave danger of flooding your boat out with the contents of the fresh water tank.Only two weeks ago i was called to a N.B. in which this had happened. and had to renew all the bathroom floor.Indeed i had this happen to my own boat 10 years ago.

As most of you know, most water pumps are the on demand type therefor the water system,hot and cold unless a 2 pump system are under constant pressure at 30psi approx. The modern plastic pipe junctions seem the main culprits in my opinion,plus shoddy workmanship of this kind on modern boats.Not using the important pipe end inserts to reinforce the pipe at elbows ect.especially on the hot plastic pipes which are softened by the heat.

I didn't know about the the "important pipe inserts". Having just fitted a bath using plastic pipes I did wonder about the heat. Instructions and little free booklet don't mention it either, Is there an online instructional/tutitional reference for this sort of stuff?

Please don't reply with use a plumber, last one wanted £2200 just to fit a bathromm suite!! Its just not going to happen.

My inverter is on a completely separate circuit, to the rest of the domestic power, with its own master switch.

The instructions for ours warn you not to isolate the batteries if you are leaving the charger on.

I once forgot this and accidentally isolated the batteries using the isolation switch and it tripped the main circuit breaker both on the boat and the shore power outlet.

Having had wooden boats for most of my boating life I'd rather rely on a well maintained float switch than human forgetfulness.

I isolate the batteries when I leave the boat but I'm glad of an automatic bilge pump, to protect my bilges.

I don't know why people are "powering things bonkers all the time", it was you who mentioned electronica that couldn't be turned off. You tell me.

You lodged this post in a discussion forum, btw, so you should expect it to be discussed.

If you want your word to be final set up your own website and give no right of reply.

Switching the water pump off does not protect your boat from pipe or joint failure upstream of the pump. An automatic bilge pump does.

I agree with that,but the pressure of water above the pump is negliagable compared with the the pressure side,and doubt whether a pipe would be forced off,maybe a slow leak.I think most people would soon get in the habit of switching off the pump or isolator.I have put a switch beside all my taps ect and so now automatically do so.

Why not a reminderr notice on the door you exit from.Bilge pump float switches are not terribly reliable, apart from batteries going flat for some reason,but in the event of forgetfulness of course i agree to have one.

I didn't know about the the "important pipe inserts". Having just fitted a bath using plastic pipes I did wonder about the heat. Instructions and little free booklet don't mention it either, Is there an online instructional/tutitional reference for this sort of stuff?

Please don't reply with use a plumber, last one wanted £2200 just to fit a bathromm suite!! Its just not going to happen.

I personally would fit them,they're peanuts to buy but do throttle the pipe bore by 1or2 mill. For peace of mind anyway.

bizzard

Relying totally on an automatic pump would be foolhardy.

Turning the automatic pump off to prove you aren't relying on it is positively barking.

Relying totally on an automatic pump would be foolhardy.

Turning the automatic pump off to prove you aren't relying on it is positively barking.

Quite. A pump master switch in a prominent position by the door for those with all the inverter chargers ie mastervolt Victron,Sterling ect. bizzard

Or a timer on the water pump, which could work with a push switch in your kitchen/bathroom. Push the switch enables the water pump, it then turns off after about an hour.

This idea could work for lights as well, etc...

Good idea,i'm all for idea's,but reliability of those things is not great.Better switch pump off in my opinion.

I missed a word out in my post ''INSERT''The wee flanged sleeve which pushes into the end of the plastic pipe before pushing the connections home.And sleep at night with one leg out of bed on the floor in case,an old seamans safeguard..

regards bizzard.

When i said switch off pump i meant fresh water pump not auto bilge pump,as i don't think some people grasped that bit.My fault. bizzard. :blush:

I heard of somebody recently plumbing their boat directly into the mains water supply!

The boat next to us is plumbed directly to the water supply, along with 240V and landline phone, like a permanent umbilical cord.

A bit of a sad end to a Royal Navy fast rescue boat.

Why not a reminderr notice on the door you exit from.Bilge pump float switches are not terribly reliable, apart from batteries going flat for some reason,but in the event of forgetfulness of course i agree to have one.

The BSS already insists on too many signs.

A decent float switch, checked regularly, is as reliable as any other switch and if your batteries go flat your water pump isn't going to flood the boat, is it?

I think you are possibly going a bit over the top for what is a rare incident.

Or a timer on the water pump, which could work with a push switch in your kitchen/bathroom. Push the switch enables the water pump, it then turns off after about an hour.

This idea could work for lights as well, etc...

That i think is the best idea yet, but a 12 volt timer in case of mains power cut. or the inverter charger has blown up or something terminating the supply. regards bizzard