Gas Fridge

Featured Posts

Of course the room sealed fridge is no longer available so will we see a campaign to allow the non room sealed version to be fitted, as occurred with instantaneous water heaters.

No campaign required, as they can already be fitted!

Your last point makes complete sense, so I guess it's about picking an appropriate fridge, I fitted one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-UPRIGHT-CARAVAN-CAMPING-3-WAY-GAS-12V-240V-FRIDGE-/230643323612?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item35b369d2dc#

which has no requirement for an external flue. So far it's proving to be very efficient.

How does your fridge perform on gas and mains? I have an electolux copy badged under a different name which I paid £200 a few years ago. It's fine on mains but doesn't get cold enough when run on gas. Not as good as the electrolux. I just wondered how yours performed?

No campaign required, as they can already be fitted!

oops, sorry about that. In my defence, Ive spent the last 3 months focused on the hire boat standards (2002 ECP's) and BS PD 5482pt 3 2005, there could be a campaign to allow non room sealed fridges to be inserted into the BS PD, as are non room sealed instantaneous water heaters.

Paul M

I think this is a good example of how 'misinformation' spreads. Could you point out where it says blue flames can't produce CO in the link you gave please, because I can't spot it! How many people failed to notice the question mark on the end of your underlined statement? I wonder.

Getting back to the subject, a flame with any part yellow definitely IS producing CO. The quantities may still be small but the cumulative effect can still be dangerous. As I understand it, the absence of 'yellowness' in combustion is certainly no guarantee of the absence of CO in the products of combustion however.

'Flame chilling' for example causes CO generation. Perversely, cookers are a good example. A blue cooker ring flame chilled by playing on the underneath of a saucepan will be producing CO, or so we are told in training. I've not tested this personally yet with my gas analyser. I will try it later!

Fair enough!

Since when? Do you have a source for this requirement please because I have not heard about this? It's good advice but not complusory as I understand it.

I would say it's a common sense requirement to fit them (and of course maintain/test them)

OK domestic CO alarms aren't intended for 'marine use', but there's good feedback from those using them on narrowboats, where there's not much in the way of waves and salt spray. :)

cheers,

Pete.

We use 2 old boats with gas fridges.

One is not flued, the other has a flue extension to bring the output out of the cabin side rather than the hull (about 40cm)

Neither has given any problem or caused the CO alarm to sound. 15 and 20 years use respectively.

Having said that our new boat is electric. Dont supose it will last as long though.

• 2 weeks later...

Your last point makes complete sense, so I guess it's about picking an appropriate fridge, I fitted one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-UPRIGHT-CARAVAN-CAMPING-3-WAY-GAS-12V-240V-FRIDGE-/230643323612?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item35b369d2dc#

which has no requirement for an external flue. So far it's proving to be very efficient.

Edited to add: Everything else you said makes sense too!

I also fitted one of these and it works brilliantly. However I used the optional flue kit and fitted into the existing flue exit. Better safe than sorry.

Matt

• 7 months later...

Hi, just read this thread with great interest. I've just bought an electrolux 3 way fridge, the get I bought It off says he's vented it into his boat for yrs with no worries, the unit is fitted in the middle of our boat. Access to sides is difficult, so me not thinking It safe to vent into the boat was going to extend flue up to roof vent almost directly above. I was going to use copper pipe I have knocking about.

I now wonder, do I vent it into the boat, do I vent it up and out, or do I put a pipe to supply flame with constant supply of air..:. I bought this fridge to do away with the 240 v one fitted when we bought the boat.

Hi, just read this thread with great interest. I've just bought an electrolux 3 way fridge, the get I bought It off says he's vented it into his boat for yrs with no worries, the unit is fitted in the middle of our boat. Access to sides is difficult, so me not thinking It safe to vent into the boat was going to extend flue up to roof vent almost directly above. I was going to use copper pipe I have knocking about.

I now wonder, do I vent it into the boat, do I vent it up and out, or do I put a pipe to supply flame with constant supply of air..:. I bought this fridge to do away with the 240 v one fitted when we bought the boat.

I think if you read the installation instructions for your fridge you'll find it requires a vent from outside for the air supply and the exhaust vented outside. In practice this seldom happens. I have mine off the floor on a vented plinth with an open bottom which sort of works to maximise the air supply. If you can do something to supply the flame with air it's a good idea.

I have my exhaust vented outside but some people on this forum have their exhaust going straight into the boat. Personally I don't like that idea. If the exhaust starts to produce carbon monoxide then potentially you're relying on your CO alarm to keep you alive.

Edited by blackrose

Please be aware that the proper Electrolx / Dometic flue is not just a piece of pipe that extends the fridge's flue to an external point!

It is a kind of T-shaped arrangement that both angles the exhaust gasses sideways, but also has an open end that I believe is intended to stop winds blowing in and playing havoc with how the flame burns......

In this it is in it's component parts, not assembled....

530060_lge.jpg

Dometic Electrolux Flue Kit

You can just about see how it is intended to be used here.....

FlueWeb.jpg

From This Link

Obviously that relates to Caravans - You can't cut holes through your boat below waterline to supply a fresh air source!

I'm certainly not going to advise here, because I'm not qualified, and modifying a flue could at the most extreme result in a death, if done badly enough.

I'm simply pointing out "extend it up through roof", or "extend it up through gunwale", would not in any way replicate the way the proper external flue was meant to work. Personally I think that would be dodgy territory.

Edited by alan_fincher

Mike, always good to have some sense injected into the topic.

FYI I understand that a co detector/alarm for marine use is close to availability, along with fitting/location instructions.

On the subject of flueing lpg fridges into the accommodation spaces, although the majority of the unflued fridges have a low heat input rating, (0.2kw?) and thus attract a small increase in fixed ventilation, as you know many of these fridges suffer with a poor flame picture due to insects, corrosion in the pipework of the flue pipe. I remember electrolux saying that fridge flues should not be extended beyond the length supplied in their kit as condensation can occur in the pipe and cause the extended pipe to deteriorate. Of course the room sealed fridge is no longer available so will we see a campaign to allow the non room sealed version to be fitted, as occurred with instantaneous water heaters.

Paul M

This is quite true.I have to service my Electrolux gas fridge every year to maintain a good blue flame pattern and efficiency.Sweeping the flue,removing the gas jet to clean it and generally blow out cobwebs ect.This fridge was given to me as no good ''useless''12 years ago.Best thing anyone ever gave me.

I have an Electrolux 212 fridge in my narrowboat with an extended flue to allow it to vent above the gunwale . In 2006 the examiner for the Boat Safety Scheme made comment in the advisory section that the fridge had an extended flue and my insurance underwriters then demanded remedial work be carried out . Fortunately common sense prevailed in the end and having spoken to the examiner the insurers were happy to allow the extension to remain .