Canalplan ac

Pete of Ebor

Featured Posts

I have, at times, considered allowing % adjustment factors for waterways - including up and down stream factors but have not yet (hint) been persuaded that it's worth the effort, nor that people will care enough to help create the data.

Nick,

If you are interested, I have speed log data for a huge amount of the system, enough to give some idea for most waterways.

CanalRoutes.jpg

The problem is that maximum canal speeds can be very variable - some parts of the Ashby I can make 4mph, others I only manage 2.5mph.

Cheers,

Mike

I tend to also plan my route backwards, That way it tells me how many hours I have to do to complete my journey. so if you do get held up or get ahead you still know you have approximately X number of hours travelling time to the end of the trip.

I realised just how useful that was and added it as an option a couple of months ago - you can get a count-down as well ("show data to destination").

Sounds like a lot of bother to me. I just add up some miles and locks (3mp / 4 per hour) add a bit for luck and keep a day in hand for unexpected stoppages (like queues, long lunches, meeting friends, reading and other unhurried uses of time). Then if I fall behind schedule I start early (6-7am) and finish with daylight. I really don't see canalplan being a load of much use. How's it going to predict all that? Like satnav, which irritates me no end. And, no, I'm not a technophobe. I'm busy editing a very complicated video. I save computer technology for purposes only it can achieve. Beyond that, I'm with the ducks.

The time estimates are just that, a rule of thumb. What CanalPlan does usefully is work out those distances and miles for you with very little bother indeed. Just pop a handful of key points on your route in and off you go.

I don't really want people to feel it's a set of instructions they must follow - it's a quick reckoner and also gives you a "where do I need to be today to be roughly on track" by breaking it into days - just what you need to help you decide whether to do one of those dawn starts.

Mind you, I've been known to do that most days just for fun on some trips - it's very dependent on who's in the crew.

I always export the Canalplan data and drop it into my own software so that I can present it in a way that is more meaningful to me. I use a product called FileMaker which runs on normal computers and on iPhone/iPads.

I like the look of that, I feel a new output format coming on...

However, I think the most curious thing about CanalPlan is the so-called "overnight stopping places". These are clearly worked out on timings, and can no doubt be of use to make sure you're on schedule. But if novices are using the site, they might think it actually is possible to moor halfway up the Farmers Bridge Flight, for example. If it's not possible for it to come up with sensible suggested moorings, shouldn't the heading be changed?

I think that's a fair point. The real thing to do is to restore some code that I had in the earlier version that adjusted stopping places to avoid flights, tidal waters etc. It never worked quite properly and so didn't get translated to the new version.

And a quick message above the stops would certainly be a friendly thing to do. I'll see about sneaking it into the next release.

Nick,

A big thank you for Canalplan ac! I have been using the site as a business tool for a few years now. I started delivering boats about 11 years ago, then, when I recieved a phone call asking for a quote to move move boat from A to B, it would be maps on the lounge floor and work out lock/miles etc.

With Canalplan, which I have on my phone, I can be anywhere, recieve a call, then quick nip onto your site and phone them back in five minutes with a quote, simples!

Keep up the good work.

Nigel

It would be a massive job to extend it to the whole system, but Nine of Hearts' planner for the BCN Challenge works well as a concept.

http://www.thecatwhowalksbyhimself.co.uk/other/BCNchallenge/BCNchallenge.php

Richard

If I am reading that correctly? 6 hours for Wolverhampton 21 and 1 hour to reach Bradley? First excessive latter very optomistic.

As for Canal Plannner, I am not impressed, a good set of OS maps and one of the guides is enough, locks and towns dont change places too often and an old Waterways World guide is still amazing accurate!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

If I am reading that correctly? 6 hours for Wolverhampton 21 and 1 hour to reach Bradley? First excessive latter very optomistic.

As for Canal Plannner, I am not impressed, a good set of OS maps and one of the guides is enough, locks and towns dont change places too often and an old Waterways World guide is still amazing accurate!

Yes, Nine-of-Hearts times are definitely on the wimpy side. You can change the lock times and speeds at the top to more manly

I'd have to check the pictures for the Bradley arm, but I don't think we spent more than an hour there and back

Richard

• 5 months later...

However, I think the most curious thing about CanalPlan is the so-called "overnight stopping places". These are clearly worked out on timings, and can no doubt be of use to make sure you're on schedule. But if novices are using the site, they might think it actually is possible to moor halfway up the Farmers Bridge Flight, for example. If it's not possible for it to come up with sensible suggested moorings, shouldn't the heading be changed?

I think that's a fair point. The real thing to do is to restore some code that I had in the earlier version that adjusted stopping places to avoid flights, tidal waters etc. It never worked quite properly and so didn't get translated to the new version.

And a quick message above the stops would certainly be a friendly thing to do. I'll see about sneaking it into the next release.

Sorry for reviving an old thread like this, but I knew I'd made this point at some point in the past. I've just used CanalPlan to look up a journey for later this year, and it's produced the following "Overnight Stopping Place":

On the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Etruria to Harding's Wood), at Harecastle Tunnel (South end) (two thirds of the way between Harecastle Tunnel (South end) and Harecastle Tunnel (North end)).

I'd love to see the reaction of the tunnel keeper when you told him you planned to moor for the night two thirds of the way through the tunnel!

Yes, Nine-of-Hearts times are definitely on the wimpy side. You can change the lock times and speeds at the top to more manly

I'd have to check the pictures for the Bradley arm, but I don't think we spent more than an hour there and back

Richard

I spent more than an hour getting the weed off the prop and trying to back out

Sorry for reviving an old thread like this, but I knew I'd made this point at some point in the past. I've just used CanalPlan to look up a journey for later this year, and it's produced the following "Overnight Stopping Place":

I'd love to see the reaction of the tunnel keeper when you told him you planned to moor for the night two thirds of the way through the tunnel!

Well I'm sure if you flag it up as an issue Nick will look into it ASAP because it shouldn't happen at all.

It's already on the issues list as issue 417. Now I've got the "adjust overnight stops to force stopping at specific places" code working pretty reliably it should actually be a lot easier than it was before as it can use much the same functionality.

I'm working on some JavaScript to improve the maps at the moment, but will mentally raise this fix up my priorities list for when I feel like some scripting.

I'm working on some JavaScript to improve the maps at the moment, but will mentally raise this fix up my priorities list for when I feel like some scripting.

It's a very nice bit of work that mate. Shame the BW stoppages list doesn't come in a machine readable format. If you moved it to github it might make it easier for potential contributors. Seems like there's quite a few nerds on the cut :)

• 3 weeks later...

"On the Trent and Mersey Canal (Main Line - Etruria to Harding's Wood), at Harecastle Tunnel (South end) (two thirds of the way between Harecastle Tunnel (South end) and Harecastle Tunnel (North end))."

That's not actually the problem - that's a different bug entirely!

You can never end up in the middle of a tunnel as the exact overnight stop is always a specific place. But for some places - if you are at a fairly low detail level in the output - it tells you where that is (because otherwise it's very irritating to have Brown's Bridge No 17 as a stopping place when it doesn't appear at all in distance table).

If you look closely at that you can see that it's got you a sensible stopping place - the southern end of the tunnel - but it's then come up with complete tosh when trying to tell you where that is.

But - as some good news - there is now full tidal water and lock flight avoidance implemented.

I used canal plan for my trip to Lincoln last year, I used the default settings.

First day of trip.

On the Grand Union Canal (Leicester Section - River Soar Navigation), at Saint James Church, Normanton-on-Soar. This is 14 miles, ¾ furlongs and 9 locks and will take 6 hours 49 minutes.

Day 1 stop over was the trent below nottingham. It would have been Gunthorpe but we stopped to drink beer with Den and Alex

Second day of trip.

On the River Trent (Nottingham Canal), at Thane Road Bridge. This is 14 miles, 1¾ furlongs and 8 locks and will take 6 hours 49 minutes.

Day 2 stop over was Cromwell Lock

Third day of trip

On the River Trent (non-tidal section), at Hazelford Lock No 8. This is 18 miles, 4 furlongs and 5 locks and will take 6 hours 50 minutes.

Day 3 stop over was Lincoln

Fourth day of trip

On the River Trent (non-tidal section), at Cromwell Lock Weir Exit (to avoid stopping on tidal waters). This is 13 miles, 6 furlongs and 4 locks and will take 5

I went to the pub

Fifth day of trip

On the Fossdyke Canal, at Lincoln. This is 27 miles, 1½ furlongs and 1 lock and will take 8 hours 20 minutes.

I went to the pub AGAIN!!!

Edited by fuzzyduck