Dogs

mayalld

Featured Posts

Well, we are back, but you will be spared much from me until next week, because we are off again on a non-boating break as well.

As you will recall, after a trip, I occasionally compose an idiots gallery from the journey.

This time, there will not be one, because we didn't really encounter any idiots on boats.

Indeed, there was only one real occasion where we came into any kind of conflict at all.

On Sunday morning, approaching Wardle Lock to go down, I am on the towpath when I am passed by a Jack Russell, not on a lead that is charging hell for leather at a group of ducks on the bank. I look back to see the owner utterly unconcerned about this, as the dog dives in amongst the ducks which scatter in all directions, apart from one part fledged juvenile that is in the dog's jaws.

I'm not about to stand there and let the dog kill the duck whilst a number of young children watch, so I adopted my best doggy-scaring growl and shout at the dog to leave it alone, while rushing it.

And the owner? Did he rush up red faced and appologetic for failing to keep the dog under control. Like Hell!

No, he rushed over to tell me not to DARE shout at his dog. Apparently, If I utter another word towards it, I'm going in the canal.

I told him that just as soon as he takes his responsibility for keeping his dog under control, I will have no reason to shout at it.

At that point, he seemed to realise that public opinion was against him, and stalked off.

I do hope that somebody knows who this guy is, and can pass on a message to him. He's an arsehole, and I do hope that one day soon he crosses the wrong person and gets what is coming to him.

• Greenie 1

As you will recall, after a trip, I occasionally compose an idiots gallery from the journey.

This time, there will not be one, because we didn't really encounter any idiots on boats.

I have reported this post, as I suspect somebody else has hi-jacked Dave Mayall's account!................

I'm not about to stand there and let the dog kill the duck whilst a number of young children watch, so I adopted my best doggy-scaring growl and shout at the dog to leave it alone, while rushing it.

On behalf of my feathered brothers and sisters, I thank you.

Well, we are back, but you will be spared much from me until next week, because we are off again on a non-boating break as well.

Indeed, there was only one real occasion where we came into any kind of conflict at all.

On Sunday morning, approaching Wardle Lock to go down, I am on the towpath when I am passed by a Jack Russell, not on a lead that is charging hell for leather at a group of ducks on the bank. I look back to see the owner utterly unconcerned about this, as the dog dives in amongst the ducks which scatter in all directions, apart from one part fledged juvenile that is in the dog's jaws.

And the owner? Did he rush up red faced and appologetic for failing to keep the dog under control. Like Hell!

No, he rushed over to tell me not to DARE shout at his dog. Apparently, If I utter another word towards it, I'm going in the canal.

I told him that just as soon as he takes his responsibility for keeping his dog under control, I will have no reason to shout at it.

At that point, he seemed to realise that public opinion was against him, and stalked off.

I do hope that somebody knows who this guy is, and can pass on a message to him. He's an arsehole, and I do hope that one day soon he crosses the wrong person and gets what is coming to him.

He is indeed an arsehole. I do my best to keep our hound way from these creatures, especially at this time of year.

Luckily not all Jack Russell's are the same - Spike regularly chases waterfowl on the towpath. However, if he gets to within seven or eight feet of anything feathery, his full-on-gallop slows to a trot, a walk and a crawl, before eventually going into full reverse at about four feet. He then turns around and struts back with a face full of expectation for an ear-rub to reward a job well done.

We could shout at him to establish control, luckily his inbuilt sense of cowardice makes it unnecessary.

He did (rather embarrassingly) bark at a Yorkshire lady on our last trip whilst locking through the Buckby Flight, he was trotting along the bank, oblivious to pretty much everything and he noticed her as he pretty much got level and his bark was more of surprise than anything, I shouted him and he came running back immediately, but the stream of invective from the "lady" concerned made me want to bite her myself! No excuse for an out of control dog, but they will occasionally bark, especially if they feel threatened or are surprised, but the language which appears to be acceptable to some has no place in front of my young daughter.

Sorry, seem to have gone off-topic slightly. So, I'm thinking about fitting a stern-thruster to my pump-out...

Luckily not all Jack Russell's are the same - Spike regularly chases waterfowl on the towpath. However, if he gets to within seven or eight feet of anything feathery, his full-on-gallop slows to a trot, a walk and a crawl, before eventually going into full reverse at about four feet. He then turns around and struts back with a face full of expectation for an ear-rub to reward a job well done.

We could shout at him to establish control, luckily his inbuilt sense of cowardice makes it unnecessary.

The behaviour of our JRT/corgi cross is very similar. She takes after any waterfowl on the towpath, and it can be embarrassing when a family with young children are feeding them and they scatter when they see her coming. However she does noticeably slow down if they don't get away fast enough as if she's giving them a chance to get away and hasn't come anywhere near catching one.

The behaviour of our JRT/corgi cross is very similar. She takes after any waterfowl on the towpath, and it can be embarrassing when a family with young children are feeding them and they scatter when they see her coming. However she does noticeably slow down if they don't get away fast enough as if she's giving them a chance to get away and hasn't come anywhere near catching one.

Thankfully our Border Collies show no interest whatsoever in anything with feathers. Now cows and sheep are a different matter :rolleyes: but you don't see many of those on the towpath.

Bit like when I was very young and 'chasing' girls but worried in case one of them didn't 'run away'! Can't be bothered to chase now though :lol:

Bit like when I was very young and 'chasing' girls but worried in case one of them didn't 'run away'! Can't be bothered to chase now though :lol:

Doubt if I could catch 'em now. If I did catch one would I remember what to do with it? If I did remember would I be fit enough to do so? :D

There is a woman in Nottingham who walks here 2 scottie dogs along the towpath without leads.She shouts and lashes out at cycles even when they have slowed,used there bell(aparently I was doing 30mph)Have also seen her having a go at a boater who tryed to stop her dog pissing on his mooring rope.

As a former Scottie owner, I can vouch that the not so humble Scot has no need of any human protectors - they are more than capable of barging their own way down the towpath and beware anyone who tries to prevent them.

As for peeing on ropes - their willies are so near the ground that it is rare for the content to reach anything more than an inch above it! :lol:

As with most uncontrolled dog related incidents its the owners, not the dogs, that are not in control. As I mentioned to one dog owner a couple of weeks ago as the animal relieved its self over one of the mooring ropes, he would not like it if I came round to his property and 9155ed all over his stuff. He and his family walked away heads bowed.

well i'm living in a marina and apparently you have to keep your dog on a lead when it's not on your boat.

I have a big collie/german shepherd cross and i am constantly amazed by the amount of people who let their dogs run round willy nilly barking at other dogs, mine has been snapped at on a number of occasions and i have to hold my dog up while people run round trying to gather their dogs up.

It is a bug bear of mine, i hate to generalise but most of the dogs tend to be little yappy things and often in packs of 2 or more.

My dog is not perfect, which is why he stays on his lead, he doesn't show any interest in wildfowl though!