Chesterfield Canal

Featured Posts

Boatspotters anonymous provides:

Indigo Dream

Walsall-4.jpg

Richard

Ah but now we have nice shiney blacking so you need sunglasses. Actually well you did before Stret and that narrow narrow lock flight, I have not dared to look at it since ....

Going off topic we had our hull shot blasted, painted with zinga paint and then 2 pack Hempadur Mastic in September 2005, ie over 5 years ago. She came out for the first time 3 weeks ago, we have probably gone through at least 2500 locks in the last 5 years and despite the abuse I have to say the hull looked great. Below the water line we had perhaps 5 scrapes slightly rusty, one properly rusty bit size of a CD above the waterline and more like tarnishing elsewhere due to mechanical damage. The base plate is not painted but there was no pitting just a few brown streaks. I suspect the rusting is due to shore power and no galvanic isolator / isolating transformer - something I must make up my mind on but then just as I have almost decided what to buy I read more ... If I get the GI/IT sorted then I reckon we can easily go 7 years before re-blacking. Photos if anyone is interested are here.

Ah but now we have nice shiney blacking so you need sunglasses. Actually well you did before Stret and that narrow narrow lock flight, I have not dared to look at it since ....

Going off topic we had our hull shot blasted, painted with zinga paint and then 2 pack Hempadur Mastic in September 2005, ie over 5 years ago. She came out for the first time 3 weeks ago, we have probably gone through at least 2500 locks in the last 5 years and despite the abuse I have to say the hull looked great. Below the water line we had perhaps 5 scrapes slightly rusty, one properly rusty bit size of a CD above the waterline and more like tarnishing elsewhere due to mechanical damage. The base plate is not painted but there was no pitting just a few brown streaks. I suspect the rusting is due to shore power and no galvanic isolator / isolating transformer - something I must make up my mind on but then just as I have almost decided what to buy I read more ... If I get the GI/IT sorted then I reckon we can easily go 7 years before re-blacking. Photos if anyone is interested are here.

Thats one reason we are off up the Chesterfield on the way back we are out of the water at stockwith to put back on what we take off in the next 2 weeks :blush::blush:

So, we've been on the Fossdyke and Witham for best part of a month now and had no problems at all really to speak of. Certainly nothing like the Chesterfield! Currently moored at Anton's Gowt, looking at all the weed on the Drains, so I think we'll be giving them a miss, unfortunately.

Off down the Kyme Eau on Sunday! This is turning out to be great trip!

We spent a fabuloue day on Saturday lock-wheeling from Shireoaks to Kiveton Park for Peter who is a single handed CCer on nb Futurest.

Starting just after 0900 we moored at Turnerwood at1035 for coffee and a long chat. There was plenty of water in both flights with the by washes running. I was scouting ahead and looking at the already empty Quarry lock when there was an increase in the already strong bywash flow when a boat came down Turnerwood Double lock, the basin level began to rise and I became bit alarmed as it lapped around the offside paddle of Quarry Lock. I therefore opened the ground paddles to let the lock take the shock, I may be an old Wuss but better safe than sorry. The descending boat, an ex BCN Station boat whose name I have forgotten then got the advantage of a lock being set for them. Our boats crossed in the pound below.

We then worked up the Thorpe flight. While we were in Thorpe Treble Locks RichardN appeared on bike to say they were coming down so we had a chat whilst re-setting the treble for his Indigo Dream, complete with two greyhounds to descend.

A long lunch at the top of the flight preceeded an steady cruise on the summit pound arriving just after 1530. The top was a bit near the bottom at Peck Mill but Futurest made it.

A recce to show Peter the pub and then we caught the 1604 back to Shireoaks ( a 5 minute trip) Indigo Dream was moored outside the Shireoaks Basin.

• 2 weeks later...

We're on our way back to West Stockwith having had a fabulous cruise up the Chesterfield.

The only lock that really proved difficult was East Retford - when decending there was more water pouring out of the bottom gates than we could get into the lock through the top paddles. Hence it filled to about a foot below the top level and that prevented us from opening the top gate. Thankfully, a helpful group of young people were on hand to lend some muscle and we managed to rock the top gate open after a few minutes of struggling.

Lots of the reed was being cut by a rather hi-tech machine in the Forest Locks area - it runs on land or water and the tracks double up as paddles in the water to provide propulsion. Very impressive to see him scatting about piling up the reed on the bank!

• 1 month later...

looking forward to being able to cruise to "the other side" work is slow an steady at joining the sections.

so far i get stuck at staveley, but its nice to be one the only boats on the isolated section of the chesterfield.

P8131309.jpg

nice scenery, me on my old boat.

if anyone is around the isolated section come say hello, i'll be on my boat or crewing the john varley.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just done Shireoaks to Kiveton for the first time.

What a compleat joy.

Locks double locks treble locks all in the countryside, bliss.

Cruising from the last lock into Kiveton was slow as the bottom is quite close to the top, but well worth it.

Moored with three other boats at the moorings near the winding hole. Walked up to the tunnel entrance as it looked very shallow and didnt fancy getting stuck.

Moored with 'Little Lucy' from Tinsley, (great guy) just below Turnerwood basin on the way back . Lovely scenery lovely weather great few days.

Gave quite few interested families lifts up and down the locks. Many said they walk the canal often but dont see many boats moving.

Dave and Louise

We have just done Shireoaks to Kiveton for the first time.

What a compleat joy.

Locks double locks treble locks all in the countryside, bliss.

Cruising from the last lock into Kiveton was slow as the bottom is quite close to the top, but well worth it.

Moored with three other boats at the moorings near the winding hole. Walked up to the tunnel entrance as it looked very shallow and didnt fancy getting stuck.

Moored with 'Little Lucy' from Tinsley, (great guy) just below Turnerwood basin on the way back . Lovely scenery lovely weather great few days.

Gave quite few interested families lifts up and down the locks. Many said they walk the canal often but dont see many boats moving.

Dave and Louise

Its a lovely canal - we did it last year in one of the hire boats from Stockwith Basin. Drop in at The Hop Pole on your way back. Lovely inside and the grub ain't half bad either!

The looks deceived you as I was up there in july with a 3ft draught tug. We got all the way to the bricked up tunnel portal and backed out again to the winding hole with no problem.

Blimey. We tried it in Warrior going backwards and gave up very quickly. Wimps!

The looks deceived you as I was up there in july with a 3ft draught tug. We got all the way to the bricked up tunnel portal and backed out again to the winding hole with no problem.

When we went up the Chesterfield on Fulbourne in 2009, we couldn't get beyond Stret Lock. But we hitched a lift up to the tunnel on Copperkins. As others have said the whole section is truly delightful.

The last bit from the winding hole to the tunnel portal was weedy, but we made it up to the very end (forwards) and back again (backwards) without too much difficulty. If a few more boats made the effort, maybe it wouldn't be so weedy!

David

When you got to the tunnel did any of you see any of these?

Certainly! We had tied overnight several locks down from the summit and legged it through the woods on a footpath to Thorpe Salvin where we found the Parish Oven PH to be excellent. The following morning we went up the last of the locks and continued to the tunnel, reversed and winded, before finding sustanance in the form of an all day breakfast at Olive Oyl's cafe, on the nearby industrial estate.

Returning down the locks we found one of these monsters wrything about on on the lockside at the top of one of the tripples. The pound level was high and lapping at the top of the coping stones and we suspect the pike had simply launched itself onto the bank. Don't know how long it had been there but when we returned it to the water it seemed to swim away none the worse for its ordeal..... :unsure:

It was in the region of 30 inches in length

Its a lovely canal - we did it last year in one of the hire boats from Stockwith Basin. Drop in at The Hop Pole on your way back. Lovely inside and the grub ain't half bad either!

Hi

We are on the Chesterfield now and I took your recommendation - what a great place - loved it. Well worth a visit.

Alex

Have to agree with Neil, the Parish Oven is well worth a visit, food and service both great.

The Woodhouse Arms just below Shireoaks Locks is also very good. Look to the left when going under the A57 just before the lock.

There is also a home made ice-cream shop just off the towpath at Turnerwood Basin.

The Station Pub at Kiveton was quite a friendly place when we visited, but only served food Fri/Sat I think. (just accross level crossing from visitor mooring)

Dave and Louise

We have been 4/5 times this year, most recent visit was earlier this month. The Kitchen was closed for refurb but still a nice pint.

The Sunday Lunch Menu is good food at great value, 2 courses for £6 with a choice of meats.

We have never been disapointed, but maybe just lucky.

We find it better value and more consistant food wise than the Lock-keeper near Worksop, although the moorings are better at the Lock-keeper.

Dave and Louise