Chesterfield Canal

Featured Posts

We are currently cruising the Chesterfield Canal, and very much enjoying it. However, I thought I might just warn other potential cruisers:

There is NO diesel or gas available canalside. You could ask someone at Shireoaks Marina or Clayworth Boat Club to take you in their car, but that's it as far as we can tell.

It's June - and the weed is thick, thick, thick, especially past Retford up the Forest Locks towards Ranby. We were doing less than half a mile per hour at one point as we slogged through it all.

Now these two points above are related! Because it is so slow you are using far more fuel than you think you will need - and I have heard of two boaters who rang BW and said it was all their fault for not maintainting the canal properly that they were now very short of diesel....and BW brought them some in containers!

Having said that, the scenery is gorgeous and the water is so clear you can see very large fish mooching about, even several pike, and we saw a snake swimming along yesterday too.

Just be aware of its pitfalls!!!

Hi Guys,

We have just come back from the Chesterfield, my brother got stuck in Stret Lock (normal boat not historic or slab sided) and we gave up at Drakeholes (I've been up there a number of times and live close to the summit). I think the main problem is the complete lack of boats cruising and the weed is terrible at the minute, the rumour mill says that BW have sacked the guy who operates the weed cutter and put the job out to contract. It makes you wonder whether there is an interesting balance between the desire to restore the remainder of the waterway and the promotion of the exixting waterway.

I am sometimes left wondering whether BW would be happy for waterways like the Chesterfield to fall into dis-repair so the lack of maintenance can be justified.

Don't even get me started on the Huddersfield Narrow.

I am sometimes left wondering whether BW would be happy for waterways like the Chesterfield to fall into dis-repair so the lack of maintenance can be justified.

Don't even get me started on the Huddersfield Narrow.

I fear BW have the same attitude to the Erewash - run it down and hope no body notices.

When I started boating the Chesterfield in 1979 there was only one place to obtain Diesel and Gas - West Stckwith Basin. The only change is it is now BW doing the selling rather than a hire base/boatyard. OK there are a few more miles these days but the old motto for setting out on an adventure waterway always stands

'Two tanks full -diesel and fresh water, One tank empty - toilet holding tank'.

We are currently cruising the Chesterfield Canal, and very much enjoying it. However, I thought I might just warn other potential cruisers:

There is NO diesel or gas available canalside. You could ask someone at Shireoaks Marina or Clayworth Boat Club to take you in their car, but that's it as far as we can tell.

It's June - and the weed is thick, thick, thick, especially past Retford up the Forest Locks towards Ranby. We were doing less than half a mile per hour at one point as we slogged through it all.

Now these two points above are related! Because it is so slow you are using far more fuel than you think you will need - and I have heard of two boaters who rang BW and said it was all their fault for not maintainting the canal properly that they were now very short of diesel....and BW brought them some in containers!

Having said that, the scenery is gorgeous and the water is so clear you can see very large fish mooching about, even several pike, and we saw a snake swimming along yesterday too.

Just be aware of its pitfalls!!!

Hi Spangle,

As a follow on from my earlier post, if you are struggling for diesel just PM me and I will try and help you out with a lift. I do live pretty close to Shireoakes.

Cheers

Andy

We did the Chesterfield last year on one of the hire boats out of Stockwith basin and had no problems at all either with weed or Stret lock. I know the guy who owns the hire boat company paid (in part) BW to come out last year to dredge and weed cut between Drakeholes and Shireoaks. Yes it is quiet we saw 2 boats all week, a splitter and the other hire boat!

Its a lovely waterway - needs more use - come on guys!!!

We're taking the Fairy up at the end of July before taking her out of the water for blacking at West Stockwith.

The last time we went up the Chesterfield (4 years ago IIRC) it was very weedy then, but then again, we're used used to it being on the Witham! :blush:

Still looking forward to it though as it is lovely up there :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the offer of help, Andy - much appreciated! However, we have now turned back and heading for West Stockwith...... we WILL be back!!

Yesterday - joy of joys! - a weed cutter passed us, with the associated boat skimming off the bits he'd just cut, so we made much better progress than we thought we would. So pleased.

We are now heading for the Witham .... so reading that its weedy as well has just made our day!!

Cheers one and all!

Thanks for the offer of help, Andy - much appreciated! However, we have now turned back and heading for West Stockwith...... we WILL be back!!

Yesterday - joy of joys! - a weed cutter passed us, with the associated boat skimming off the bits he'd just cut, so we made much better progress than we thought we would. So pleased.

We are now heading for the Witham .... so reading that its weedy as well has just made our day!!

Cheers one and all!

Hope you have a good trip, it will be a good opportunity to give the engine a decent run on the trent once you get off the ditch!

Cheers

Redeye

We had our first trip out from Shireoaks to West Stockwith at Spring Bank week.

We agree the section below Forest Locks 'the bottom was too close to the top' and very weedy causing slow going, but we saw between 5/10 moving boats every day. This was more than we thought, admitted it was a holiday week. It could do with more boat movement but I wouldn't say lack of maintenance is a problem. We saw 2 BW Working boats out and about, also the wide locks been cleared of drifted weed at Misterton. The Chesterfield is a beautiful canal, a jewel not to be missed.

Dave and Louise

Changing Pace

Shireoaks

From what I hear Lincoln to Bardney is pretty weedy, but if you soldier on past Bardney it's not too bad at all!

We had our first trip out from Shireoaks to West Stockwith at Spring Bank week.

We agree the section below Forest Locks 'the bottom was too close to the top' and very weedy causing slow going, but we saw between 5/10 moving boats every day. This was more than we thought, admitted it was a holiday week. It could do with more boat movement but I wouldn't say lack of maintenance is a problem. We saw 2 BW Working boats out and about, also the wide locks been cleared of drifted weed at Misterton. The Chesterfield is a beautiful canal, a jewel not to be missed.

Dave and Louise

Changing Pace

Shireoaks

That's what we like to hear! See you at Shireoaks in a couple of weeks :cheers:

We're thinking of doing the Chesterfield in early August.

Just wondered if it would be worth fitting one of those protect the prop type blades on the drive shaft to help keep the weed off the prop. LAst time we went up to the boat club, quite a few members said that it had become a standard item on their boats.

Philip

There is NO diesel or gas available canalside.

Have BW stopped selling it at West Stockwith then?

Spangle - we ventured up to bardney this weekend, bardney itself wasn't bad at all, but there is a bit of weed downstream almost reaching southrey. Having said that, most of it is duckweed so it looks worse than it actually is, but it still wasn't even bad enough to slow us down!

good luck, and we'll hopefully see you on the witham! :cheers:

Spangle - we ventured up to bardney this weekend, bardney itself wasn't bad at all, but there is a bit of weed downstream almost reaching southrey. Having said that, most of it is duckweed so it looks worse than it actually is, but it still wasn't even bad enough to slow us down!

good luck, and we'll hopefully see you on the witham! :cheers:

Heard that a friend went right through to Torksey at the weekend without weed issues.... ;)

We are currently at the current end of the Chesterfield Canal. We have had no real issues - we filled with diesel at Torksey (Can't get my head round a retirement home selling red diesel, currently 115p for a 60/40 split, I think you can self declare most standard splits), yes there is some blanket weed in some pounds so we were doing perhaps 2 mph with occasional bursts of reverse to throw off the weed - I think the water is just too clear and with a bit of nutrient run off it makes for perfect blanket weed growth but it is navigable. We did see heaps of blanket weed on the side so could be that BW have been up clearing? Yes Stret Lock is a bit tight!! but with all fenders off we got in very gently.

The Chesterfield Canal is fantastic, well worth a visit.

We are currently at the current end of the Chesterfield Canal. We have had no real issues - we filled with diesel at Torksey (Can't get my head round a retirement home selling red diesel, currently 115p for a 60/40 split, I think you can self declare most standard splits), yes there is some blanket weed in some pounds so we were doing perhaps 2 mph with occasional bursts of reverse to throw off the weed - I think the water is just too clear and with a bit of nutrient run off it makes for perfect blanket weed growth but it is navigable. We did see heaps of blanket weed on the side so could be that BW have been up clearing? Yes Stret Lock is a bit tight!! but with all fenders off we got in very gently.

The Chesterfield Canal is fantastic, well worth a visit.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Brill! We'll be setting off this Friday so pleased to see it's not too bad!

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Brill! We'll be setting off this Friday so pleased to see it's not too bad!

BW have done a great job of clearing the weed in the last couple of weeks. We were extremely surprised to have no problems at all from Boston to Burton Waters. Judging by the mounds of weed on the banks they have removed quite a lot of weed from the river. :cheers:

I'm at West Stockwith in the rain now. Planning a very slow cruise up to Kiveton Park and back over the next month.

Are we going to have a CWF mini-gig at Shireoaks?

10.08.05.Shireoaks%252520053.jpg

Tone

Sounds good to us but you and Richard dont have boat names on the forum Who are we looking for??

We should be at Stockwith on sunday :cheers:

Sounds good to us but you and Richard dont have boat names on the forum Who are we looking for??

We should be at Stockwith on sunday :cheers:

Boat is Indigo Dream, we will be dropping down to somewhere near Shireoaks on Saturday, then aiming for Stockwith for probably Tuesday (I can't see us getting there for Monday's tide but who knows?). Look for a blue boat, funny shaped dog proof back - over the weekend there may be 5 or 6 greyhounds on board, dropping to two by Monday.

Hope you all enjoy the Chesterfield........we think its a brill little waterway. Look out for otters!!!

Went for a walk down the Keadby and Stainforth tonight and the weed on there is unbelievable. The lock at Keadby is choked with it and when you get down to Vazons Bridge it stretches right from the railway bridge, all across the little pound and down onto the canal.

Boat is Indigo Dream, we will be dropping down to somewhere near Shireoaks on Saturday, then aiming for Stockwith for probably Tuesday (I can't see us getting there for Monday's tide but who knows?). Look for a blue boat, funny shaped dog proof back - over the weekend there may be 5 or 6 greyhounds on board, dropping to two by Monday.

OK should see you round about Retford then we are the ones with the dog on the roof (unless its raining)Am i right in saying old timers boat is called Dreamcatcher ???