Farmers pumping out water (for irrigation ? )........

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

do you think that leisure should come before industy, I know there are a handful of people making a living selling coal and fuel on the canals but do you not realise that no rain means no food = higher food prices. some areas are a total write off and most of europe are in the same boat.

I think there should be a happy medium. There is industry relying on the canals, hire company's etc that provide employment and may others. They will not be receiving an EU subsidy for producing crops that may end up on a food mountain and not actually needed. They will however be in financial stress if there is insufficient water in the canal and their business is affected. We have already seen the result of last years restrictions.

do you think that leisure should come before industy, I know there are a handful of people making a living selling coal and fuel on the canals but do you not realise that no rain means no food = higher food prices. some areas are a total write off and most of europe are in the same boat.

The canals were built as a means of transport.

They can also be used as a means of irrigation, if someone, the farmers, pay to have the supply reservoirs sufficiently enlarged.

If not, leave our water alone !

Edited by Justin Smith

The canals were built as a means of transport.

It's not quite that straightforward.

Many of the canals, that were built as a means of transport, fell into dereliction, because that transport died out.

They were, however, kept in water, because they were an important means of irrigation.

We may not have a canal system, if it wasn't for their usefulness for things other than boats and transportation.

• Greenie 1

I think there should be a happy medium. There is industry relying on the canals, hire company's etc that provide employment and may others. They will not be receiving an EU subsidy for producing crops that may end up on a food mountain and not actually needed. They will however be in financial stress if there is insufficient water in the canal and their business is affected. We have already seen the result of last years restrictions.

Do you think there are still food mountains, wheat has gone from £80 a ton to £200 in one year this is because there is not enough and yeilds have been down due to weather around the world this years crop is alot worse than last. perhaps on the canals and rivers we should wait for the lock to be the right way round for us to enter and make sure the lock is full to capacity with boats before filling or emptying so to try and help.

Sorry to be the pedant here, but isn't transportation, "the deporting of convicted criminals to a penal colony".....

It could well be but, to be truly pedantic you'd have to provide a more comprehensive definition.

The Oxford Dictionary gives us:

Pronunciation:/transpɔːˈteɪʃ(ə)n, trɑːns-/

noun

[mass noun]

1 the action of transporting someone or something or the process of being transported:

2 historical the action or practice of transporting convicts to a penal colony.

If a Farmer has a water abstraction license then he is allowed to take water within the terms of that license. There's no point moaning. It would be nice to think that the profit from water abstraction pays for the upkeep of the canal system, but I'm not quite that naive.

It could well be but, to be truly pedantic you'd have to provide a more comprehensive definition.

The Oxford Dictionary gives us:

noun

[mass noun]

1 the action of transporting someone or something or the process of being transported:

2 historical the action or practice of transporting convicts to a penal colony.

Another americanism creeping in.... :rolleyes:

Another americanism creeping in.... :rolleyes:

Oh you've made me get the big book out now.

Sorry but the Oxford only lists "A ticket or pass for travelling by public transport." as an Americanism.

The first definition is the one I gave, the second, marked as (hist), is the one you gave and the third is a geological term: "The movement of particulate or dissolved material by water, ice, wind, etc."

The fourth definition is the Americanism I mention above. :closedeyes:

Edited by carlt

Wooo! Get your deckchairs, beer and popcorn here for the big definition discussion!

No need.

I'm sure, as a self-confessed traditionalist, Neil would acknowledge that there is no higher authority than the Oxford Dictionary,for such matters.

They have plenty of water in Scotland, why is it not piped south to England, when they can pump gas from Russia and oil from the North Sea..? They could even use the canals to transfer water from North to south, works well on the Llangollen,but the water companies are not bothered as it will rain soon or later and then we will have floods like in 2007.

If a Farmer has a water abstraction license then he is allowed to take water within the terms of that license. There's no point moaning. It would be nice to think that the profit from water abstraction pays for the upkeep of the canal system, but I'm not quite that naive.

It would be nice to think that the boat licence revenue paid for the upkeep of the waterways, but then there's the £30 million plus that BW lost in its joint venture property company with Peel Holdings and the several million written off in the joint venture pubco with Scottish & Newcastle.

Navigate.....Navigate......Navigate.......

Isn`t that what Daleks do ?

No.

I'm not sure why your post is relevant to the discussion.

It`s humour.....

Oh, okay...

I thought it quite funny, I can just imagine a Dalek trundling along with a nasally voice emanating from within :

Navigate.... Navigate.....We Will Navigate (except up stairs, obviously)

I thought it quite funny, I can just imagine a Dalek trundling along with a nasally voice emanating from within :

Navigate.... Navigate.....We Will Navigate (except up stairs, obviously)

You obviously never met the Fradley Junction patrol officer.

The similarities were too close to be funny, in fact, if Daleks wore little black moustaches, they'd be indistinguishable.

Interesting thread this, down here in the Fens we are officialy in Drought, the farmer opposite has been extracting water for irrigation for the last 3 months as have most other farms in our area and yet river levels have remained up. Strange but true.

Phil