Oxford Canal

jonk

Featured Posts

I am at present in Kidlington after cruising from Northampton via the GU and Oxford Canals. I have found difficulty mooring anywhere near many towns or villages - to explore or get provisions. There are long lines of 'long term' moorings and full 14 day moorings and full 48hr moorings - many of these moored boats look like they haven't moved for some time, what's going on? Surely there should be enough visitor moorings in the centre of towns - even 2 or 4 hour moorings - so that cruisers can get to the shops etc.? Why should there be so many long-term moorings so close to villages - surely canals are not housing estates? Marinas OK but not taking up all the bank space when space is limited.

Am I expecting too much?

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Am I expecting too much?

Yes, on the South Oxford.;)

By the way if you are moored at Kidlington , watch out for the man behind the fence, that is curved on the top, he will be watching you. :o

Kidlington is probably the biggest best supplied village on the southern Oxford... isn't it?

No - Cropredy is!

And CWDF members are welcome to use our mooring for an overnight stop - we do not expect to return for at least a week.

No - Cropredy is!

And CWDF members are welcome to use our mooring for an overnight stop - we do not expect to return for at least a week.

The moorings by the bridge are not designed for 40' or 45' boats - Stopped there last week and were exactly the wrong length!

I am at present in Kidlington after cruising from Northampton via the GU and Oxford Canals. I have found difficulty mooring anywhere near many towns or villages - to explore or get provisions. There are long lines of 'long term' moorings and full 14 day moorings and full 48hr moorings - many of these moored boats look like they haven't moved for some time, what's going on? Surely there should be enough visitor moorings in the centre of towns - even 2 or 4 hour moorings - so that cruisers can get to the shops etc.? Why should there be so many long-term moorings so close to villages - surely canals are not housing estates? Marinas OK but not taking up all the bank space when space is limited.

Am I expecting too much?

Well I have come through Fenny, Cropredy and Banbury today. Cropredy was filling up but still spaces, lots of room in Banbury, also room in Fenny but it was only half ten in the morning.

Ed to add

Also there are not that many villages close to the S Oxford and BW say it is 25% busier than 2009. Lots of people moor early which makes life difficult if you turn up 4 pm and later. Also the day of the week has an effect as well.

Edited by ditchcrawler

The moorings by the bridge are not designed for 40' or 45' boats - Stopped there last week and were exactly the wrong length!

What length of boat are they designed for?

Kidlington is probably the biggest best supplied village on the southern Oxford... isn't it?

Technically I had understood Kidlington was the biggest viallge in the UK full stop:

Several places claim to be the largest village in England. This title is disputed as there is no standard definition of a village and size might be determined by population or area.

One contender is Kidlington in Oxfordshire, which has a population of around 15,000. Whilst Kidlington might be described as a town in colloquial use due to its sheer size, it has not formally taken on this status and still has a parish council rather than a town council.

P.s there was very little mooring in Cropredy when we got there Saturday, although Banbury town centre looked reasonable free in terms of space when I drove over the canal a couple of hours ago.

Edited by owenk

Got to pick your moment really - Lower Heyford has plenty of mooring, but if you don't want to be kept awake by the railway then stay North of the lift bridge. Aynho only has room for half a dozen boats close to the wharf - so park up towards the lift bridge where there's normally loads of space. Banbury seems quite full at the moment; but there's room on the tramway moorings (by Morrisons).

Ahh Bones how are you ? Kidlington is the biggest village in England with loads of shops and not bad to moor and a couple of pubs with sensible beer and food prices for the area.

Cropredy on the other hand is a pimple on a pigs arse with barely one shop and an unmentionabley bad rip off pub near to the canal ;)

Banbury has loads of moorings and I have never found it impossible to moor at places like Heyford, even Thrupp is easily accesible from Shipton under the bridge.

It is awkward for people who dont know a particular area or if disabled and need to be in a centre though.

What length of boat are they designed for?

They've put a piece of armco along the canal and concreted behind it so you can't use piling hooks. With a rope on one end the other rope had to stretch about 10' (ended up using a pair). I would estimate it's ok for 35' or 50'+, just not 40 & 45.

Moored last night in Kidlington. Seemed to be a fair numbr of places. Now on the Thames at Oxford where there is plenty of space :lol:

From what has been said it would seem that you have to moor before Lunch on the Oxford to get a space!

John

Cropredy on the other hand is a pimple on a pigs arse with barely one shop and an unmentionabley bad rip off pub near to the canal ;)

Can't agree with that. We don't eat out very often, but the Red Lion is the only place that we have gone back the following night for a meal.

Not cheap I will agree, but they do 'specials' on some nights which are very reasonable.

I'm not much of a beer drinker these days but I think the ale was ok. Staff friendly, service good & you have to book which says a lot.

ETA. Should be there again in 2 weeks, will report back if I can find a mooring.

Edited by Midnight Rider

my experience of the southern oxford is rubbish mooring availability any where near oxford, rude and unhelpful management of the canal by BW, lift bridges difficult to operate on your own, on the plus side, above kidlington the canal is rural and pleasant i like to moor by the old railway bridge at kings sutton a short haul to the station from there and relatively peaceful as is wormleighton

Can't agree with that. We don't eat out very often, but the Red Lion is the only place that we have gone back the following night for a meal.

Not cheap I will agree, but they do 'specials' on some nights which are very reasonable.

I'm not much of a beer drinker these days but I think the ale was ok. Staff friendly, service good & you have to book which says a lot.

ETA. Should be there again in 2 weeks, will report back if I can find a mooring.

I would not put it as strongly as MrSmelly but it is one public house I will not be returning to.

Still, if you like it then carry on.

I would not put it as strongly as MrSmelly but it is one public house I will not be returning to.

Still, if you like it then carry on.

We go to the Red Lion regularly - it is a nice traditional pub with excellent English beer. Like all pubs, it does have its 'off days' when staff are under pressure or absent but it would be unfair to make a judgement based solely on those . . .

We go to the Red Lion regularly - it is a nice traditional pub with excellent English beer. Like all pubs, it does have its 'off days' when staff are under pressure or absent but it would be unfair to make a judgement based solely on those . . .

:cheers:

Graham the reason you go to that disgrace of a pub is simply because its the nearest one to where your boat is parked. If lets say the Swan at Fradley junction amongst many others was as close to you as The Red Lion then the Lion would quite simply be devoid of custom :)

Surely you make judgements EXACTLY on things like this. When I'm deciding to go back to a pub (or wherever) I'll use my previous experience there to make a decision.

For example, I've been to the Red Lion once. Me and the missus got there around 9:30pm on a Sunday. Around 9:45 I went to get another, and was met by the barman grumpily checking his watch and saying he was closing. Turns out we were the only people in and he was pissed off waiting around. He grumpily told us that The Brasenose round the corner had a music night on and that no-one was going to the Lion.

So guess what we did? Left immediately, had a great night at the Brasenose, and never went back to that place. Whenever I get asked in Cropredy 'where's the next pub?' I'll always say the nearest one worth going to is the Brasenose.

Surely you make judgements EXACTLY on things like this. When I'm deciding to go back to a pub (or wherever) I'll use my previous experience there to make a decision.

For example, I've been to the Red Lion once. Me and the missus got there around 9:30pm on a Sunday. Around 9:45 I went to get another, and was met by the barman grumpily checking his watch and saying he was closing. Turns out we were the only people in and he was pissed off waiting around. He grumpily told us that The Brasenose round the corner had a music night on and that no-one was going to the Lion.

So guess what we did? Left immediately, had a great night at the Brasenose, and never went back to that place. Whenever I get asked in Cropredy 'where's the next pub?' I'll always say the nearest one worth going to is the Brasenose.

.......... I thought you was on about the Boat Inn at Thrupp then