Thames Trip

Featured Posts

I am planning a trip on the Thames this summer going out of Limehouse and cruising past Houses of Parliment etc., I have mentioned this to some boaters and have been met with a sharp intake of breath and some have said what a fantastic trip what is the truth?

Also what are the requirements I have emailed the ST. Pancras Cruising Club via their website and have not recieived a reply and downloaded their advice notes.

We are looking to leave Limehouse around 20th July so if there is anybody cruising with the V.H.F. radio can we tag along.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Andy

The truth is that it is a fantastic trip which may also account for the sharp intakes of breath!

You can join a lead boat with VHF if you pre-arrange this with the lockkeeper at Limehouse and also the Port of London Authority (well that's what you're supposed to do, but in practice nobody seems to care), but somebody must have VHF (assuming boats are over 45' in length).

You must also have an anchor and have it ready to deploy (and lifejackets are highly recommended).

This is the most useful document for the trip in my opinion:

http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/56

Edited by blackrose

I am planning a trip on the Thames this summer going out of Limehouse and cruising past Houses of Parliment etc., I have mentioned this to some boaters and have been met with a sharp intake of breath and some have said what a fantastic trip what is the truth?

Also what are the requirements I have emailed the ST. Pancras Cruising Club via their website and have not recieived a reply and downloaded their advice notes.

We are looking to leave Limehouse around 20th July so if there is anybody cruising with the V.H.F. radio can we tag along.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Andy

It is probably the most exciting trip that you will make on the British Inland waterway system.

A few photos from our trip a couple of weeks ago:

Limehouse Basin

It must not however be taken lightly, their is lots of helpful info out there in the BW, IWA and SPCC Thames tideway guides, read them and take note of all the recommendations.

I have hardly been an a convoy yet when one of the boats hasn't got into trouble (incl us and two other boats on the trip shown above) so it is important to keep in close contact with a boat accompanying you if you are not confident in using an anchor!

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

It's a great trip.

Are you diving back in at Brentford or going all the way up to Teddington?

As per the previous posts, there is plenty of info out there to give you help. The most important one is the tide timetable.

HWLB is 17:54 (GMT) on 20 July so it should be a very plesent early evening cruise

Enjoy.....

:cheers:

It's a fantastic trip.

We joined some friends on their boat as part of one of the St Pancras CC convoys last autumn, and now we're planning to do it on our our boat later this year. I'm not sure we would have attempted it on our own without the previous experience. The Clippers, trip boats, and other big craft can make the water very choppy, and you have to make sure you turn into the waves. You also need to make sure to keep looking behind you.

The guide that blackrose has linked to above is a must, because of all the information about the bridges and exclusion zones. I'm planning to print it out and laminate it.

It's a fantastic trip.

We joined some friends on their boat as part of one of the St Pancras CC convoys last autumn, and now we're planning to do it on our our boat later this year. I'm not sure we would have attempted it on our own without the previous experience. The Clippers, trip boats, and other big craft can make the water very choppy, and you have to make sure you turn into the waves. You also need to make sure to keep looking behind you.

The guide that blackrose has linked to above is a must, because of all the information about the bridges and exclusion zones. I'm planning to print it out and laminate it.

I have someone reading the guide to me and telling me which bridge spans to take as I steer and look out for other traffic as it's difficult to do all this on your own. If you're closely following others then that's obviously less important, but take the guide with you anyway just in case you get separated from the others.

Ideally as Adam1uk says, you should turn your bow into the waves, however sometimes when approaching bridges with oncoming traffic this isn't possible and you just have to take the wave beam on. Other times the waves seem to come from different directions at the same time and there's very little you can do. If you're one of those narrow boaters who has ornaments and fragile things that could fall inside your boat, put them on the bed or down low somewhere safe. Put any flowerpots from the roof in the bow well deck and shut the bow doors.

Basically as a canal user you probably won't have felt your boat pitching and to a lesser extent rolling like you will on the tidal Thames, but don't worry - the boat can take it. I don't know why but the waves have always seemed much worse when I've done the trip in the downstream direction.

Edited by blackrose

I don't know why but the waves have always seemed much worse when I've done the trip in the downstream direction.

Its because the outgoing tide is much stronger and so the commercial passenger boats push much harder against the flow. The downstream run is much more fun!

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

We did the trip yesterday morning, 0530am. Well worth planning your trip early to avoid the usual fast trip boats etc. Left the lock at 0545am, although a little windy, all was fine and we made good progress.Even had to wait about 20 mins. at Richmond lock waiting for them to raise the weirs.

Cleared Teddington lock at 1010am.

The view of London from the river is not to be missed.

Regards

Mike

Yesterday we cruised past some friends that moor in London and when we let them know our plans their comment "was your brave", thanks for the leaflet link and Iam going to print it off today.

Looking at the posts at the moment it is more positive than negative.

Regards

Andy

Yesterday we cruised past some friends that moor in London and when we let them know our plans their comment "was your brave", thanks for the leaflet link and Iam going to print it off today.

Regards

Andy

We going up from limehouse - brentford mid august, (our first time), we have vhf.

Even had to wait about 20 mins. at Richmond lock waiting for them to raise the weirs.

Marvellous, not! The lock keeper who is paid to operate a lock but generally refuses to unless you really insist!

Regards

Andy

You may find a pattern: people with the "you're brave" attidude haven't done it; people with the "it's a fantastic trip" have. I know who'd I take more notice of.

Obviously there are preparations to be made. But if you've taken the advice and prepared the boat, you'll be fine.

You may find a pattern: people with the "you're brave" attidude haven't done it; people with the "it's a fantastic trip" have. I know who'd I take more notice of.

Obviously there are preparations to be made. But if you've taken the advice and prepared the boat, you'll be fine.

I agree - we did it 3 years ago, and it was a fantastic trip. Be prepared for the river flowing quite fast, and possibly being a bit choppy, splashing over the front of the boat. I did a half-day RYA VHF course, and bought a cheap little hand-help for the journey (but never had to use it).

I must admit I am looking forward to it and the positive posts have helped, boat is prepared and carrying spares but it is the vhf radio bit that is worrying me at present.

Thanks for the offer of the August trip but have to be on the Oxford for the end of July.

Thanks for all the advice.

Regards

Andy

Edited by andy the hammer

Yesterday we cruised past some friends that moor in London and when we let them know our plans their comment "was your brave",

That's because your friends are confirmed ditch crawlers. Some narrow boaters will never venture onto a river because they have no imagination.

That's because your friends are confirmed ditch crawlers. Some narrow boaters will never venture onto a river because they have no imagination.

Or don't WANT to??

I think its a great trip but be prepared for a bit of wash from some of the tripper boats.

i think this one sped up when he saw me :rolleyes:

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Or don't WANT to??

That's fine if they just don't want to for some reason - nobody's forcing them to venture out of the ditch. When I was moored in Brentford I knew people who stayed there for years but were too scared to take a perfectly good boat past the gauging lock and up to Teddington. Instead they used to go up to the Fox and back for a trip out. Horses for courses I guess, it just seems like a waste to me.

Edited by blackrose

Or don't WANT to??

I think its a great trip but be prepared for a bit of wash from some of the tripper boats.

As has been said, it is a good move to regularly look behind to see what's going on there!

Look_Behind_You.jpg

Or avoid it altogether, if you feel uncomfortable about not being near to one or other banks......

Wide_Thames.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

Yes, you'd get a bit of a shock if you turned around and hadn't seen that catamaran approaching from behind.

Anyway, despite the warnings, the tidal Thames is not always that rough.

13Belfast-3.jpg

But it's always spectacular.

10Westminrear-2.jpg

Edited by blackrose