Narrowboats at sea

max campbell

Featured Posts

yesterday afternoon would have been perfect for a NB crossing not a wave in sight the swell was less than a foot all the way from Le Havre to Portsmouth! never seen the English Channel so calm!

Yes its great like that isnt it seen it like that many times.......the trouble is I have also seen it change uneplainedly in less than 2 hours from flat calm to a " proper " boat sinker and at narrowboat speeds thats one sunk narrowboat !!

Yes its great like that isnt it seen it like that many times.......the trouble is I have also seen it change uneplainedly in less than 2 hours from flat calm to a " proper " boat sinker and at narrowboat speeds thats one sunk narrowboat !!

there are risks in everything! LOL i reckon you could have rowed across yesterday! a perfect end to a perfect honeymoon! :cheers:

Try right click on the offending word.

Tim

:smiley_offtopic: Thanks Tim, its wonderfull what you can learn on this group. Who would have thought a discussion on taking a Narrowboat to sea could have helped my spelling. The best thing is that it works in other programes as well. :smiley_offtopic:

:smiley_offtopic: Thanks Tim, its wonderfull what you can learn on this group. Who would have thought a discussion on taking a Narrowboat to sea could have helped my spelling. The best thing is that it works in other programes as well. :smiley_offtopic:

You can test it out by right clicking "wonderfull" ;)

It didn't come up red underlined, I don't right click every word just the ones underlined in red.

It does for me. (so does 'programes' ;) ) Maybe you're on a US english dictionary, maybe they allow that spelling?

Tim

Dear Gunwaler,

if you react with answers like this, I don't think that you'll make many friends on any forum.

With a little bit of effort, you could have found some nicer words to express yourself.

Peter.

I got lots of frends. You dont realy think that those who post their stuff on here are realy tru frends do you?

Moderators take note, this thread is so off topic to be beyond belief.

Oh I don't know. If you stick around here long enough, it can stretch your powers of belief no end

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Richard

lg25.jpg

Edited by RLWP

Oh I don't know. If you stick around here long enough, it can stretch your powers of belief no end

Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

Richard

lg25.jpg

Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde.

The Rev. Charles Dodgson.

Is there no end to your erudition? :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

We went across from Ramsgate to Calais 'in company' with Chris and NB Progress for the Dunkerque Evacuation commemorations in 2000. Conditions were basically flat calm. Progress went through the slight swell like a U-boat, no noticeable rise or fall, just straight through.

• 5 weeks later...

Interesting thread :) It's something I would like to do some day - not take a narrowboat to sea, but build a seaworthy vessel to narrow beam dimensions. The discussion on hull form covered a few thoughts I'd been having. How to get a shape that works nicely at sea with a draft that is also compatible with a standard canal depth. As has been mentioned what you will likely get with a long, narrow vessel is something that performs much like a super tanker or a submarine - it ploughs through the water rather than riding the waves. I would think this isn't such a problem if the bows are fine enough to cut through the water rather than being bluff (there are a few fast vessels designed to do just this).

Another thing that I wonder about is what would be the ideal hull material. Steel would seem to be the obvious choice, specially when considering the frequent bumps canal boats are subjected to, as well as ice. However maybe GRP or marine ply might make for lighter boat that can respond better while at sea. Also allows for a more developed hull shape and maybe lower centre of gravity.

If it's accepted that the boat will get water passing over on occasion, then you just make sure the whole boat is sealed above the waterline, with proper hatches and an internal control position. Perhaps a rear deck that can incorporate a tiller for inland use might be handy though.

The engine would be much more powerful and be installed as per any other sea going boat. Perhaps even using two smaller engines for redundancy and the ability to use just one of them while on the canal, rather than a single larger engine running lightly loaded which is apparently not so good for them :)