Narrowboats at sea

max campbell

Featured Posts

just the one ?

We (Penny, moi, and Heart of Gold) shall be in Bath mid next week, to go down to the river for a week or so. Are there any pubs near the canal, say between the visitor moorings and the deep lock, worthy of decerning ale drinkers?

Just below the deep lock is Widcombe High Street with the Ram and Ring of Bells (which is more gastro but still has good beer)

Or you could let Val and I lead you astray in the city centre... Salamander, Raven, Couer De Leon...

And if you need a hand through those locks...

Back in 1983 or 1984 I had the privilege of meeting this guy

http://www.engvig.com/olaf/small-boats-detail.shtml

He had just sailed from Norway to York in his boat Froya equipped only with a road atlas (he regarded it as a reasonable substitute for Viking charts) and with his 12 year old daughter as his only crew. He came to visit us at our house (my father was building the Viking centre in York at the time) but refused our offer of a bed for the night and they both went back to sleep on their boat.

Interestingly, I note that his larger boat has a beam of 6ft but I doubt he's the sort of guy who'd be interested in inland waterways :)

From my father (I was very young at the time):

I remember talking to the Hull Coastguard who were mightily impressed by his seamanship as they observed him coming into the Humber. The wind and tide were very adverse, but he coped without any problem. Little did they know that his sole crew member was a 12 (?) year old girl!
Edited by Morat

I am not anti-narrowboat at sea, and am sure that under the right conditions a Channel-crossing can be done.

Also I know that narrowboats were not designed and built to do this sort of thing, and that the boats that did normally had at least 1 real sea boat to come along with them, and from which the photographs were taken. Nowedays the weather-forcast is quite good, but one can't count on it for 100% anyway. For me the safest crossing is still by ferry on a low-loader.

France is a friendly country (the grass looks always greener on the other side) but if you would be a French narrowboat-owner, wanting to cross the Channel from France to the U.K. they wouldn't allow you to go out to sea in your boat, because it's not registered (and impossible to register) as a sea boat.

I wish you a safe crossing on your brothers boat,

Peter.

Thankyou. It wont be for quite a while tho.

I have a sneaky suspicion that gunwaler is not such a new member as he would have us think...

I went on this forum because i thought i would find friends here and lern about boating. But it seems to me that the ones who domminate this forum arnt friendly at all. I didnt undersatnd Carls post. But when I asked a moderater it was explaned to me. I dont like being accused of being somebody that I am not.

If that is the way you welcome new members on this forum then Im going.

In the short time that Ive been boating on the canals Ive found that reel people are very frendy and nice but people here are not frendly.

I prefer reel people.

Im going.

I went on this forum because i thought i would find friends here and lern about boating. But it seems to me that the ones who domminate this forum arnt friendly at all. I didnt undersatnd Carls post. But when I asked a moderater it was explaned to me. I dont like being accused of being somebody that I am not.

In the short time that Ive been boating on the canals Ive found that reel people are very frendy and nice but people here are not frendly.

I prefer reel people.

Im going.

You are forgetting to be consistent with I and i. You've spelt friendly and friends with and without an i too

Richard

don't be put off, their bark is worse than their bite

I prefer reel people.

Im going.

fishing? :cheers:

I've seen plenty of seagulls offshore, but never a seatroll :P

Roger

perhaps you aren't frequenting the right places!! LOL

You are forgetting to be consistent with I and i. You've spelt friendly and friends with and without an i too

Richard

You now want to take the [deleted] of me cos I carnt spell?

get [deleted]. You got nothin beter to do?

Edited by NB Alnwick

Richard

Hallo Richard,

sorry to say, but I don't think that this remark has been a very nice one, and it doesn't answer a question.

It only makes it clear that you know how to spell, I'm sure that I and quite a few others too,, make mistakes (even Daniel the forum owner).

Because of answers like yours here, I'm almost worried to write a few lines as answers to questions, or just to express my thoughts.

Peter.

Gunwaler

When you post something like this

It seems to me that most of the posters here who are anti narrowboats at sea are just chicken.

They are so full of their own opinions that they forget in the right conditions and taking the right precortions it aint a problem. if it was the Ribble link wouldnt be possible.

Crossing the Wash wouldnt be possible. Doing the Seven estary wouldnt be possible.

Get a life you calm water freeks.

Im taking my brothers boat over to France soon. Its cheeper there.

And its more frendly.

It isn't really on to then complain about a hostile response to it. Your post quoted above is insulting, hostile, arrogant and misguided. I have pointed out the inaccuracies in it, and others have basically told you your words are plain wrong. If someone took you at your word, they would be risking their lives

Even a long standing member making such a statement would have hot coals placed on their head.

If you live by the sword, you will die by the sword I'm afraid.

You now want to take the [deleted] of me cos I carnt spell?

get [deleted]. You got nothin beter to do?

Dear Gunwaler,

if you react with answers like this, I don't think that you'll make many friends on any forum.

With a little bit of effort, you could have found some nicer words to express yourself.

Peter.

Edited by NB Alnwick

Hallo Richard,

sorry to say, but I don't think that this remark has been a very nice one, and it doesn't answer a question.

It only makes it clear that you know how to spell, I'm sure that I and quite a few others too,, make mistakes (even Daniel the forum owner).

Because of answers like yours here, I'm almost worried to write a few lines as answers to questions, or just to express my thoughts.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

having managed the occasional dual identity here myself in the confines of the Virtual Pub, one of the traps is inconsistency. Trying to adopt a style that is not your own isn't easy and inconsistent spelling is one of the simplest blunders. If you check back, the post I was referring to has friend spelled correctly, then incorrectly, also the first person singular as both I and i. These look very familiar to me as errors I have made in pretending to be someone else, so I share Carl's suspicions

Richard

Hi Peter,

having managed the occasional dual identity here myself in the confines of the Virtual Pub, one of the traps is inconsistency. Trying to adopt a style that is not your own isn't easy and inconsistent spelling is one of the simplest blunders. If you check back, the post I was referring to has friend spelled correctly, then incorrectly, also the first person singular as both I and i. These look very familiar to me as errors I have made in pretending to be someone else, so I share Carl's suspicions

Richard

Hi Richard, I didn't write to tell you of, but only to let you know what I would feel if something like that was written to me, as spelling is not one of my strong points either (but I try as good as I can).

You and Carl must have much better senses then I've got, as I wouldn't have been able to find out that someone has been using a dual identity on the forum, which is of course always possible.

Peter.

• 2 weeks later...

I spell how it co9mes out at the the time.

I know i dont spell the same words the same way every time. Dose that make me somehow inferier to you lot? I dont think so.

Ok I apologise for using bad languige but some of you lot here realy do piss me off with your know it all suspitions and like thinking you are high class boaters better than everywon else or something.

You think I have duel identity? Well I dont. Not on here anyway.

And if i did so what?

You know what. I think Ill use the spelchecker from now on. Then w3hat will you lot suspect?

I spell how it co9mes out at the the time.

I know i dont spell the same words the same way every time. Dose that make me somehow inferier to you lot? I dont think so.

Ok I apologise for using bad languige but some of you lot here realy do piss me off with your know it all suspitions and like thinking you are high class boaters better than everywon else or something.

You think I have duel identity? Well I dont. Not on here anyway.

And if i did so what?

You know what. I think Ill use the spelchecker from now on. Then w3hat will you lot suspect?

Well I can't spell, but I can't find out how to make a spell checker work on here. I highlights the word I have wrong, but doesn't offer corrections. If you know the answer please pass it on.

Well I can't spell, but I can't find out how to make a spell checker work on here. I highlights the word I have wrong, but doesn't offer corrections. If you know the answer please pass it on.

Try right click on the offending word.

Tim

Brian, you need to download iespell from the internet:

http://www.iespell.com/download.php

Then don't highlight the word, just click on the ABC spell check icon, or right click on any text box and select "Check Spelling" - if thats not there, you haven't installed iespell right. Works for all websites.

Cheers,

Mike