Growth on Hull at Waterline

Featured Posts

Our hull at and below the waterline has grown a shaggy green coat over the winter - about 1" - 2" long.

Is it a good idea to take as much of this off (with a stiff brush, rubber stippled rake or similar) to lessen corrosion/pitting? Or does it not make any difference?

Well that two answers which oppose each other

I can think of arguments for both answers so I'm going to see which thread has legs and argue fervently for my response in that one.

If you leave the growth on then your fuel consumption will be higher and your boat will be slower.

If the plants are oxygen producers then they may accelerate corrosion.

If you took it off one side and left it on the other, it may increase the likelihood of electrolytic erosion

Richard

but you may be able to run your lights off the current

If you took it off one side and left it on the other, it may increase the likelihood of electrolytic erosion

Richard

but you may be able to run your lights off the current

No but the boat would go round in circles.

No the drag from the weed, Your not trying to wind me up are you?

Not at all. The currents from one side of the boat to the other will cut the natural magnetic flux of the earth, and according to Fleming's left hand rule will generate a force at 90 degrees. So the boat will naturally go around in circles

Richard

Or is it right hand rule?

There's about 5ft of green stuff growing off my hull - I've been stationary in Liverpool Marina for months. Getting it all jetwashed off on Thursday when I come out the water. Should look hairy!

... If the plants are oxygen producers then they may accelerate corrosion.

If ducks are CO2 producers they may neutralise the insidious green growth's effects.

Unfortunately the ducks here aren't keeping up to the job. Far too much white bread floating past for them.

So, is increased oxygenation a bona fide factor in the equation?

Not at all. The currents from one side of the boat to the other will cut the natural magnetic flux of the earth, and according to Fleming's left hand rule will generate a force at 90 degrees. So the boat will naturally go around in circles

Richard

Or is it right hand rule?

MORNINGTON CRESCENT!!!!