Another question`

Windfola

Featured Posts

They use either Reeves or Tyler Wilson hulls.

Both highly reputable.

Though some 'baulk' at some of the bow shapes TW produce along with 'fake' rivets.

664_braidbar%20exteriors1%20022.jpg

Out of the two I would go Reeves or a TW without adornments/strange bow shape just for the simplicity.

Goldsborough9.jpg

This is just my opinion - if I wanted a boat that looked in anyway historical - I would just buy a historic narrowboat.

Edited by MJG

Both highly reputable.

Though some 'baulk' at some of the bow shapes TW produce along with 'fake' rivets.

Out of the two I would go Reeves for the simplicity and lack of adornments.

This is just my opinion - if I wanted a boat that looked in anyway historical - I would just buy a historic narrowboat.

I don't think there is any obligation to have either fake rivets, or even a "pseudo-Josher" bow style with the Tyler / Wilson boats, (but have never investigated the options, never being up for a "new build").

I personally much prefer the appearance of a "standard" Wilson shell, (if such a beast exists!), to a "standard Reeves" one, but such tastes are personal.

We have been told on here that Reeves are flexible, and will build to a customers choice, if you prefer it, but I'm not at al a fan of the "standard" Reeves look, which I believe claims to be "Grand Union-esque", but really has little semblance to a traditional boat shape.

None of which will stop it swimming well, or being well constructed of course, and to many this is more important than any need to stick to something that mimics particular old boats. IIRC wasn't it Reeves that got into building the later "Stowe Hill" boats ? In my view just about the ugliest expensive modern boats ever built, but again, I accept that is a personal view not shared by their loving owners!

I don't think there is any obligation to have either fake rivets, or even a "pseudo-Josher" bow style with the Tyler / Wilson boats, (but have never investigated the options, never being up for a "new build").

I personally much prefer the appearance of a "standard" Wilson shell, (if such a beast exists!), to a "standard Reeves" one, but such tastes are personal.

We have been told on here that Reeves are flexible, and will build to a customers choice, if you prefer it, but I'm not at al a fan of the "standard" Reeves look, which I believe claims to be "Grand Union-esque", but really has little semblance to a traditional boat shape.

None of which will stop it swimming well, or being well constructed of course, and to many this is more important than any need to stick to something that mimics particular old boats. IIRC wasn't it Reeves that got into building the later "Stowe Hill" boats ? In my view just about the ugliest expensive modern boats ever built, but again, I accept that is a personal view not shared by their loving owners!

You can indeed get TW without the adornments - hence my post did say some of the bow shapes TW produce, but I've edited it so it is a tad clearer.

Edited by MJG

We have been told on here that Reeves are flexible, and will build to a customers choice, if you prefer it...

It may have been me that said that. I've visited Reeve's yard a couple of times and Graham was a pains to repeat "It's your boat, you can have whatever you want." That goes for fitments as well as shape. He had a few boats at various stages of completion and I was very impressed with the quality of what I saw.

Tony

It may have been me that said that. I've visited Reeve's yard a couple of times and Graham was a pains to repeat "It's your boat, you can have whatever you want." That goes for fitments as well as shape. He had a few boats at various stages of completion and I was very impressed with the quality of what I saw.

Tony

Looking at their prices on their web site - they don't seem outlandishly expensive either...

I want the outside of my boat to look sleek, simple and slightly racy. I'm not bothered about traditional or replica styles per se as the whole thing is going to be black and shiny, maybe with silver coachlines and chrome fittings, but nothing flamboyant. It will be the narrowboat equivalent of a stealth bomber :lol:

Any suggestions?

I want the outside of my boat to look sleek, simple and slightly racy. I'm not bothered about traditional or replica styles per se as the whole thing is going to be black and shiny, maybe with silver coachlines and chrome fittings, but nothing flamboyant. It will be the narrowboat equivalent of a stealth bomber :lol:

Any suggestions?

Well if you are set on the fitter as you seem to be and if they will definitely only supply a shell from one of two builders (That's not uncommon BTW) I would talk/visit both TW and Reeves and describe your very initial thoughts and see who you get a better response from.

On balance Reeves sound from their web site as if they you give you as much a free range as possible, that doesn't mean TW won't though hence the need to talk/visit them both.

spelling ed.

Edited by MJG

Any suggestions?

This is the widebeam version of the stealth bomber.

DSC_2949.jpg

Guest wanted

This is the widebeam version of the stealth bomber.

DSC_2949.jpg

Out of interest, do you notice any heat increase because of br's side colour? I know boats are just hot in the summer but I offten see boats with black roofs as well and wonder if its hotter.

Very nice!

I am by no means set on Milburn - I needs lots more to compare yet.

Are you going to Crick??

lots to see there and all in one place.

That will give you some ideas and then you could make time to visit or talk to a 'shortlist' of builders after the show.

But do not dismiss a builder if they are not exhibiting at the show - some have decided not to at this show and years previous.

Hi.

Take a look at the below link. Our boat is in the final build stage and Beacon are having an open weekend 28th to 30th may. They will along with the Shell builders, XR&D,build whatever you desire. They are Very flexible and friendly. Give them a call.

http://beaconboats.weebly.com/

John

Out of interest, do you notice any heat increase because of br's side colour? I know boats are just hot in the summer but I offten see boats with black roofs as well and wonder if its hotter.

It's difficult to tell. On the outside the black sides certainly get much hotter to touch than the cream roof, so I assume that makes it hotter inside. But my mate's Colecraft NB which is painted green is much hotter inside than in my boat, principally I suspect because one is always closer to the walls in a NB than in a WB.

Are you going to Crick??

lots to see there and all in one place.

That will give you some ideas and then you could make time to visit or talk to a 'shortlist' of builders after the show.

But do not dismiss a builder if they are not exhibiting at the show - some have decided not to at this show and years previous.

Yes, go to Crick to see some new build boats and talk to some builders.

Edited by blackrose

With good insulation it shouldn't make a difference.

With good insulation it shouldn't make a difference.

Disagree on that, insulation doesn't stop heat transfer it just slows it down, the greater the temp differential the greater the transmission. Having felt the different outside surface temp between a white steel nb and a green one in bright summer sun (the white one was cool and the green one was unbearable) I would say it must make quite a noticeable difference.

Disagree on that, insulation doesn't stop heat transfer it just slows it down, the greater the temp differential the greater the transmission. Having felt the different outside surface temp between a white steel nb and a green one in bright summer sun (the white one was cool and the green one was unbearable) I would say it must make quite a noticeable difference.

Number of windows, size and type are the main way a boat heats up in summer... The colour really isn't.

But what many people forget is that insulation (especially insulation that is bonded to the steel like sprayfoam), doesn't work in isolation and so it doesn't work equally in both directions. You have to look at the entire section of steel/sprayfoam/wooden lining. This will work much better at keeping warm air inside the boat during the winter than it will at keeping the the heat from a very hot sheet of steel to which it is bonded, out of the boat in summer.

Dark colours can't help. Most Dutch barges are painted in light colours, while for some reason dark colours are popular on narrow boats.

Edited by blackrose

This sounds to me just like another boat that will be for sale 6 months or so after it is launched, for around half it original cost. Simple "racy" boat indeed. Silver coach lines and chrome fittings and BLACK paint. Does this not remind us of anything? and even if I am wrong, shiney black paint will only enhance any fabrication imperfections. Of course as some will no doubt say......it is your money waste it how you will

Edited by PaddingtonBear