Another weird one

Windfola

Featured Posts

There's nicer boats for that money.....

As a house boat that you will only need to move occasionally perhaps it's probably OK.

But as a boat for regular cruising surely yes...

Thats being a tadge generous in describing it..

very odd assymetric design.. not that clever looking on/in the water - looks a handfull in the wind, but each to own preferences

Ooh, I cruised past that yesterday. It really isn't anything special from the outside, and you'd probably want to move it somewhere, but the interior photos look lovely!

I can see the appeal (waterside living for much less than a nearby flat) but I don't see any advantages in this over, say, a very nice widebeam or dutch barge.

Has anybody noticed that you can't actually see anything from the steering position?

Roger

Actually you can - check out the top left pic in the Appolo Duck ad.

The view can't be good but there just about is one.

Edited by MJG

Actually you can - check out the top left pic in the Appolo Duck ad.

The view can't be good but there just about is one.

Becoming all the more common in my neck of the woods - motorable houseboats that is- just about movable to avoid the council taxable status.

Possibly good value as a "country cottage".

Trouble is that when they do move for a day or two they cause havoc, not manoeuvrable and the crew don't have a clue anyway.

Trouble is that when they do move for a day or two they cause havoc, not manoeuvrable and the crew don't have a clue anyway.

I can imagine..

Hardly an engine.........

A 10hp Lynch motor.

Nice axial flux motor - lots of torque from 0 rpm. Just needs a decent battery bank - it's only 48V. Needs to be about 300v ish using lithium-ion cells.

Edited by Chalky

It's a box. An unremarkable flat that just happens to float. It's only "design" feature that in any way referenced the Bauhaus was the ugly 1930's stove. To me there was always something very "emperor's new clothes" about the Bauhaus during my design college days. You'll find wherever it's quoted that 9 times out of 10 it'll be some middle-class twonk trying to pass off some bland ikea nonsense as intellectually significant rather than any genuine design innovation. Actually, that's unfair to ikea because some of their stuff is quite well thought out...

Oh... I think I've hurt myself...

The owners at Fettler's Wharf Marina on the Rufford branch of the L&L were building similar house boats before we left there last year. A type of fat butty that was to be towed to their sister marina at Scarisbrick on the main L&L.

Allegedly, they were asking 100k for these wide beam sheds that once berthed at the other marina, command an annual mooring fee of 5k (including regular towing to the pump-out facility). Amazingly, they actually sold one while we were there.

I can only imagine that they would appeal to the wide beam fans, as none of them at Fettler's Wharf ever left the marina!

Mike

Edited by Doorman

To me it's just a floating box with some concession towards streamlining, simple and practical, nothing much in the way of design. I would prefer a maintenance free concrete or aluminium shell, wouldn't fancy trying to maintain the bilge area, bad enough on a normal boat.