'Gas free Boats'

Windfola

Featured Posts

Thanks.

How long does it last?

Interesting question

In a bottle, ages and ages

In a tank with a wick, well it becomes difficult to light. I think that's because the spirit evaporates and water remains. Either that or it is hygroscopic

Richard

Thanks.

How long does it last?

It evaporates slowly, if you leave the top off...oh you mean when cooking?

I put about 125ml in each of my origo burners and that will cook a meal and, usually, boil the kettle for a brew/washing up so, about, half an hour.

This is the old, pre Dometic, origo (like the one in the Ebay link). When I had the modern type I found it used a bit more.

You'll just have to learn to love the smell of meths then.

Hmmm... from HMRC:

There are three approved classes of denatured alcohol in the UK:

•  
  • completely denatured alcohol (CDA) - formerly known as Mineralised Methylated Spirits (MMS)
  • industrial denatured alcohol (IDA) - formerly known as Industrial Methylated Spirits (IMS), and
  • trade specific denatured alcohol (TSDA) - includes Denatured Ethanol B (DEB).

So... if CDA is Meths, how come the meths that I buy in a local hardware store has the smelly purple stuff in it?

Tony

dont worry the meths for sale in france smells of vanila.. and is clear

we used to buy 5 lites at a time for our Trangia stoves before we converted them to gaz..

work a treat at high camp and elsewhere..

Yes, but I'm genuinely curious about the smelly purple meths because it appears to be eminently possible to obtain pure CDA if you ask HMRC for a license for use. It's suggested online that this isn't as hard as it might sound.

Tony

Yes, but I'm genuinely curious about the smelly purple meths because it appears to be eminently possible to obtain pure CDA if you ask HMRC for a license for use. It's suggested online that this isn't as hard as it might sound.

Tony

It isn't difficult, and it is widely used as a water remover on air brakes on HGVs and Buses

If you don't preheat these properly, you'll still get an impressive flare up.

This is why I prefer Origo's over pressurised systems. They never flare and they are spill proof.

Electrolux make a paraffin fridge, for the African market.

I'm not sure why you think a gas camping stove is more dangerous than your boat stove.

A camping stove has one direct connection, to its fuel source, whereas a fitted stove has a long length of pipe, with its many joints and bends, giving far more opportunities for failure.

If you don't preheat these properly, you'll still get an impressive flare up.

This is why I prefer Origo's over pressurised systems. They never flare and they are spill proof.

Electrolux make a paraffin fridge, for the African market.

I'm not sure why you think a gas camping stove is more dangerous than your boat stove.

A camping stove has one direct connection, to its fuel source, whereas a fitted stove has a long length of pipe, with its many joints and bends, giving far more opportunities for failure.

hi carl any idea where i would get an electrolux parafin fridge from ive looked at electrolux site i hope i dont have to go to africa for it :rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

hi carl any idea where i would get an electrolux parafin fridge from ive looked at electrolux site i hope i dont have to go to africa for it :rolleyes:

Try looking for Sibir, I think they're owned by Electrolux/dometic nowadays.

(edit - and they were certainly making paraffin fridges last time I checked, it looked as though their main market was storage of pharmaceuticals in Africa etc.)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Try looking for Sibir, I think they're owned by Electrolux/dometic nowadays.

(edit - and they were certainly making paraffin fridges last time I checked, it looked as though their main market was storage of pharmaceuticals in Africa etc.)

Tim

Here you are:-

http://www.sibir.com/english/products/domestic--home/kerosene/kerosene-fridge-s150ke.aspx

Tim

• 8 months later...

I have a diesel fired heritage range onboard, it does heating, cooking and hot water. It's fully controllable and in the summer heats up in 15 mins to provide enough heat for showers, washing up etc and hot enough to cook in the Oven and hotplate, then turn off so boat does not get too hot! In winter it keeps the boat warm all day/night and a constant heat source to cook on boil

Kettle etc! It's amazing, would never have gas!

I have a diesel fired heritage range onboard, it does heating, cooking and hot water. It's fully controllable and in the summer heats up in 15 mins to provide enough heat for showers, washing up etc and hot enough to cook in the Oven and hotplate, then turn off so boat does not get too hot! In winter it keeps the boat warm all day/night and a constant heat source to cook on boil

That's exactly what the Heritage rep said to me, last time I was at Crick Show.

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds amazing and expensive, but one obvious question would be- if it runs for 24 hours per day 7 days per week to keep a 60ft boat at a temperature of around 72deg C , while the outside temperature is below freezing, how much fuel on a daily basis does it consume? I'm sure that is a question that you can easily answer with your obvious enthusiasm for the product.

Roger

If its left on 24/7 in winter it would cost roughly £20 per week, I usually set it on a timer so it heats the boat morning and evening, and use for cooking in the evening, and generates enough hot water for two showers. This option probably averages at £10 per week. Summer, virtually nothing, for cooking and hot water every day maybe £20 a month, probably less!

If its left on 24/7 in winter it would cost roughly £20 per week, I usually set it on a timer so it heats the boat morning and evening, and use for cooking in the evening, and generates enough hot water for two showers. This option probably averages at £10 per week. Summer, virtually nothing, for cooking and hot water every day maybe £20 a month, probably less!

Thanks for responding, however that doesn't actually answer my question. as what I actually wanted to know was how much fuel it would consume on a daily basis in sub zero weather, to maintain a temperature of about 72 degrees for 24 hours per day. A given amount of fuel is only going to release a fixed amount of calorific value whether you burn it in a bucket or in a sophisticated stove. Your suggested figure of £20 per week ammounts to about 25 litres per week, or less than 4 litres per day. As that would be less than half of any other any other diesel heater to maintain the sort of temperature that I am referring to, could you please supply some verifiable figures to back that up.

I could quote 1 bag of coal per week to keep my fire alight all day, but it wouldn't be at a normal living temperature.

Thanks in advance,

Roger