'Gas free Boats'

Windfola

Featured Posts

I keep coming across 'gas free boats' being advertised. Presumably they use diesel where other boats use calor gas? What are the benefits and drawbacks?

and electric too is used.

Perceived benefits are that it is safer not to have LPG on board.

TBH I don't know whether it really is or isn't as long as the system is well looked after.

ETA - and of course installed correctly in the first place.

Edited by MJG

Perceived benefits are that it is safer not to have LPG on board.

Another benefit to some people is not having to lug "13 kilo" gas cylinders in and out of a bow locker. (In practice including the cylinder a full one weight more than twice that).

Often not easy from the agile, and particularly hard for those not so strong. A fitted deck-board and cratch seems to make the operation even more fraught!

That said, I'd not have a gas free boat......

(Wait a minute though.... I've just kind of bought one!)

I didn't realise there were that many; thought it was very much a niche market. Being gas free at the moment I must say I enjoy the challenge, but using gas certainly makes for an easier life with less planning ahead. The biggest advantages are that it's a cheap and convenient way of cooking and heating water (using an instantaneous water heater like a Paloma, Morco or Rinnai). For space heating it's expensive. Diesel can be used for cooking and has the advantage of not having to lug gas bottles about, but the most controllable appliances (i.e. ones that aren't on all the time) are very expensive.

Some people get very worried about the safety of gas but many would consider unnecessarily so. It's main disadvantage in the safety stakes is of course its explosive potential (which it only really shares with petrol). However, a good installation, regularly checked will IMO minimise this to a negligible level of risk, and certainly to an acceptable one. Other dangers it shares with other forms of combustion are carbon monoxide and fire. In both these respects gas is probably safer than solid fuel and some diesel installations (of the accidental boat fires I'm aware of the causes have been solid fuel stoves, diesel stoves, electrical faults and candles, and of CO poisonings I think solid fuel is the major culprit. This is possibly because it's easier to use a badly maintained solid fuel stove).

Apologies if my two penn'orth isn't very well organised, got to go to work now.

• Greenie 1

Origo meths cooker (use denatured alcohol if you don't like the smell), Solid fuel heating and electric lights.

I don't have gas simply because I don't like installing it and nobody else fits out my boats.

If you trust your boat fitter/gas installer then there is no reason not to have gas, apart from the lugging bottles about bit.

Personally I like the simplicity of my installation and the knowledge that there is little to go wrong with it.

I keep coming across 'gas free boats' being advertised. Presumably they use diesel where other boats use calor gas? What are the benefits and drawbacks?

I have a solid fuel Rayburn on board that heats the domestic water, provides central heating (3 rads & towel rail) and importantly, provides heat for cooking. Fuel for the Rayburn (wood) is "gathered" from the tow path and area's close by, with Excel for winter and overnight use.

I have a diesel Eberspacher water heater, plumbed into the central heating and domestic water system for times when I don't wish to light a fire!!

No gas, no need.. ;)

Ta. Part of the reason I am asking is that I may have access to more funds than I originally thought and am trying to weigh the balance between buying nearly new/used and maybe even going bespoke. A scary thought. Too soon to know. Mustn't get carried away...

I have a solid fuel Rayburn on board that heats the domestic water, provides central heating (3 rads & towel rail) and importantly, provides heat for cooking. Fuel for the Rayburn (wood) is "gathered" from the tow path and area's close by, with Excel for winter and overnight use.

I have a diesel Eberspacher water heater, plumbed into the central heating and domestic water system for times when I don't wish to light a fire!!

No gas, no need.. ;)

How do you cook if the rayburn is not lit or do you have it on all the time even in summer

How do you cook if the rayburn is not lit or do you have it on all the time even in summer

When we had a rayburn, in the summer we either barbecued or, in bad weather, used one of my large collection of camping stoves.

When we had a rayburn, in the summer we either barbecued or, in bad weather, used one of my large collection of camping stoves.

Are the camping stoves not dangerous to use in doors, How would you roast a chicken on one of those :lol:

• Greenie 1

It's oft said that BBQ food is not good for you (all those carcinogens 'n all that) BUT we live dangerously and actually rarely use our hob and oven on the boat and more often just use our Weber Somkey Jo.

We also use it as an oven and cook full joints/chickens/fish in it too It's easy once you get the hang of it. We enjoy cooking and eating outside though - it's not for everyone.

It's good for cooking roast and grilled veggie stuff too for the none meat eaters amongst us.

It's oft said that BBQ food is not good for you (all those carcinogens 'n all that) BUT we live dangerously and actually rarely use our hob and oven on the boat and more often just use our Weber Somkey Jo.

We also use it as an oven and cook full joints/chickens/fish in it too It's easy once you get the hang of it. We enjoy cooking and eating outside though - it's not for everyone.

It's good for cooking roast and grilled veggie stuff too for the none meat eaters amongst us.

It would be a bit smokey to use indoors if it was hissing down :lol: I am curious though how people cook in the summer indoors if they have a rayburn it must be very hot inside if you had to light it to cook and did not use a camping stove

It would be a bit smokey to use indoors if it was hissing down :lol:

It actually is not a problem to use it in the rain - we often do it, I also did it for years as a caravanner too all you need is a golf or fishing brolly and a spiked/pole to raise it enough to provide a little BBQ shelter if you want something to cover it.

I then just tend to it from the safety of the pram hood (or the awning when we had a caravan), so that I don't get BBQ'd as-well as the food.

I know nowt about Rayburns though so can't comment on that one.

It's oft said that BBQ food is not good for you (all those carcinogens 'n all that)

Having smoked heavily, up until 5 years ago, worked as a materials engineer, in Carbon fibre research then a civil engineer in the road mending arena (all those hot hydrocarbons flying about) and spent more time than is healthy playing with wooden boats and all the nasties, required to keep them afloat, I don't think a burnt lamb chop is going to make much difference to my lifetime's carcinogen intake.

10529851_1.jpg

Tayor paraffin-cooker

I intend to fit one of these stoves, When I relocated the galley to the front of the boat. Never been that happy

using gas, as I had a camping gas stove go up in my face (1st & 2nd dregree burns) on a camping trip.

Firesprite

In the Office

Edited by nbfiresprite

I am having a rethink on the apparently obvious argument that you wouldn't want a Rayburn, Epping etc. burning in the summer. Because when the weather is hot, you're going to be outside anyway, aren't you, not sitting in the boat? Providing you time it to go out, or right down, by bedtime (not so practical for a Rayburn I guess, but then most people's Rayburns aren't in the cabin where they sleep so that cancels that out).

OK I know it's not a heatwave yet but I've been surprised to find that lighting the Epping for the convenience of constant hot water hasn't caused great levels of heat-related discomfort and I have been doing it nearly every day.

If I was planning a modern boat to live on though I would have gas.

Photo snipped

Tayor paraffin-cooker

I intend to fit one of these stoves, When I relocated the galley to the front of the boat. Never been that happy

using gas, as I had a camping gas go up in my face (1st & 2nd dregree burns) on a camping trip.

Firesprite

In the Office

I'm a big fan of paraffin, but HOW MUCH!!!

My one burner 'Monitor' Primus-type stove (1956 vintage, still boxed) cost less than fiftieth of that.

My current big idea is converting a gas fridge to run on paraffin. Can't be hard can it?

I am having a rethink on the apparently obvious argument that you wouldn't want a Rayburn, Epping etc. burning in the summer. Because when the weather is hot, you're going to be outside anyway, aren't you, not sitting in the boat? Providing you time it to go out, or right down, by bedtime (not so practical for a Rayburn I guess, but then most people's Rayburns aren't in the cabin where they sleep so that cancels that out).

OK I know it's not a heatwave yet but I've been surprised to find that lighting the Epping for the convenience of constant hot water hasn't caused great levels of heat-related discomfort and I have been doing it nearly every day.

If I was planning a modern boat to live on though I would have gas.

I have a diesel fired Sandyford range (a domestic unit that is very similar to an Aga) on our boat, and it is fantastic, all year round. I've always had gas before (6 boats) and I wouldn't be unduly concerned, but if you can keep a boat gas free, as it is a dangerous substance, then why not? I happily admit that the range is not a cheap option to install, but it is reasonable in cost terms to run.

I have a diesel fired Sandyford range (a domestic unit that is very similar to an Aga) on our boat, and it is fantastic, all year round. I've always had gas before (6 boats) and I wouldn't be unduly concerned, but if you can keep a boat gas free, as it is a dangerous substance, then why not? I happily admit that the range is not a cheap option to install, but it is reasonable in cost terms to run.

Mmm, maybe if money were no object I wouldn't bother with gas after all... Not that I'm ever going to have a modern boat again you understand!

Mmm, maybe if money were no object I wouldn't bother with gas after all... Not that I'm ever going to have a modern boat again you understand!

I would think you could fit 20 Agas in Chertsey's hold (or has it been converted?). ;)

Edited by Dominic M

Are there any available stats though that would suggest LPG on a boat is more dangerous or risky than gas at home.

Last big issue I had with gas was at home when our boiler flame failure device packed up and didn't fail 'safe' didn't shut it down leaving un burnt gas pouring through and out through the external flue - scary.

The cost of the alternatives (such as that outrageously expensive paraffin stove above) must mean this would need to be taken into account in making a decision.

This is my thought on it,I dont like bbq food and you couldnt eat it all the while as in every meal,when i have to cook in the summer months its bleedin roasting inside with the gas cooker on. Camping stoves that use the little gas cannisters seem a bit unsafe indoors, so if you had a rayburn on and they had to be on for a while to cook on them it must be so hot as to be unbearable.I wonder what then would be the best method of cooking indoors.