Watercolour on Ebay

stort_mark

Featured Posts

I think this is just above Cambrian Wharf (which I think opens up behind the building in the centre of the picture) To the artist's right would (now) be the Malt House. There are many buildings not shown because a) they didn't exist at the time and/or B) it is an artist's impression , not a photograph.

Good value at the current price of £10.

Tony

Is this watercolour really from 1934 as claimed??

It shows Farmers Bridge but doesn't it also show that big white tower block in the background..... ;) ....or is it just me?

EBay clicky thing

I'm not sure when they started building such blocks ?

I lived in Brighton for a while and they had a similar block of 'flats' called Marine gate...which I always imagined to be 1960's.

I later saw a photo of them when they were bomb damaged early in the war...

I own a purpose built flat in Hove..which is a 'slab type' block ... 3 story..and that is 1930's.

Maybe..the architects amongst us..can add enlightenment.

Bob

Is this watercolour really from 1934 as claimed??

It shows Farmers Bridge but doesn't it also show that big white tower block in the background..... ;) ....or is it just me?

EBay clicky thing

No way is it the 'Grand Union', it's the Birmingham & Fazeley, nor did those blocks of flats exist in 1934. The date could be 1974, the 7 being an uncrossed continental type 7. Look at the 1, typical continental. Not sure about the church either (although I think that's converted now. I have a feeling that the render on those buildings are relatively recent - 1974 fits better than 1934.

Google streetview HERE

ETA beaten by Richard whilst typing/getting link

Edited by dave69700

I think this is just above Cambrian Wharf (which I think opens up behind the building in the centre of the picture) To the artist's right would (now) be the Malt House. There are many buildings not shown because a) they didn't exist at the time and/or B) it is an artist's impression , not a photograph.

Good value at the current price of £10.

Tony

Yes.... aware of exactly where it is. The point is that to the right of the older buildings is the white tower block that surely wasn't there in 1934.

Yes, that's what I thought..

Gary

Yes..... I reckon it could well be 1974 as well now.

Edited by stort_mark

and it's too damn quiet!

Funnily enough, I thought that too. 1970s would be about the only era there wouldn't be a lot of activity here!

Richard

Errrrr.... since when have you been Mrs?

Edited by stort_mark

Funnily enough, I thought that too. 1970s would be about the only era there wouldn't be a lot of activity here!

Errrrr.... since when have you been Mrs?

Is this better?

Richard

471667068_o.jpg

There are other things against this being 1934. The striped, coloured awning on the house, the pleasure boat, and it's too damn quiet!

Richard

Yeah and if you use a magnifying glass you can see Star Trek is on the tv through one of the windows...

Gary

Yeah and if you use a magnifying glass you can see Star Trek is on the tv through one of the windows...

Gary

Shouldn't you be replacing a thrust bearing on your prop shaft?

Richard

Gary

Well technically, it's one of the adverts DURING the programme. Mrs Richard will confirm that.

Shouldn't you be replacing a thrust bearing on your prop shaft?

Richard

But it's dark and i'm 40 mile from the boat, but i've added it to the list of things I'm using, which aren't supposed to work, which I must one day replace with something no doubt much more expensive..

Gary

the list of things I'm using, which aren't supposed to work, which I must one day replace with something no doubt much more expensive..

I believe this is the Oxford English Dictionary definition of "boat ownership"

471667068_o.jpg

There are other things against this being 1934. The striped, coloured awning on the house, the pleasure boat, and it's too damn quiet!

Richard

And of course the tower blocks in the background!

Tim

Listing has been amended, seller unsure '34 or '74 :rolleyes:

The high rise building surely rather clinches it ?

Am I alone in thinking it's rubbish?

Edited to add: There is obvious evidence of artistic skill but their choice of scenery is unbelievably bland.

I don't do art, but felt they had something to learn about perspective and angles.

Whatever is going on with the nearer "pointy end" of the boat just doesn't represent any BCN boat I've ever seen.

but felt they had something to learn about perspective and angles.

Indeed - the canal to me looks like it's climbing a hill and then going down again -

(Which of course canals do but it normally involves a lock or two.)