Good Photo opportunity tommorrow

matty40s

Featured Posts

I was coming down the Lea and up Ducketts today and was in the middle of a few St Pancras Cruising club boats.

We were being slowed down by a chap who likes his paint and takes everything REAL slow. :P

Tommorow, they are headed out from Limehouse, down to the Thames Barrier and then back up. There are over 25 boats booked to go out of Limehouse so it should be quite a spectacular jaunt.

Any idea where they will be at what time?

The boats will lock out from Limehouse between 5.40 and 8.0 am so boats will be going through the barrier between 8.0 and 10.0am

Sundays cruise to Brentford/Teddington will leave around 1315.

Tim

The boats will lock out from Limehouse between 5.40 and 8.0 am so boats will be going through the barrier between 8.0 and 10.0am Sundays cruise to Brentford/Teddington will leave around 1315.

Tim

We're back in Limehouse from Saturday's trip now. Very enjoyable and not too much rain. Spent about 80 minutes above the lock on the north side of the river waiting for those ahead to lock through - having turned into the incoming tide. Bounced around a bit in the Clipper wakes etc but nothing too hairy.

We're back in Limehouse from Saturday's trip now. Very enjoyable and not too much rain. Spent about 80 minutes above the lock on the north side of the river waiting for those ahead to lock through - having turned into the incoming tide. Bounced around a bit in the Clipper wakes etc but nothing too hairy.

Can you tell me how this trip worked in relation to the state of the tide? Please.

Guest wanted

i was unfortunate enough to have to be there today!! what a nightmare! i know why i moved out of london! the traffic, the people! the general madness of the place! and the tide was out so no boats to be seen!

were not all bad y'know, and the madness is the best bit! :P

I was coming down the Lea and up Ducketts today and was in the middle of a few St Pancras Cruising club boats.

We were being slowed down by a chap who likes his paint and takes everything REAL slow. :P

Tommorow, they are headed out from Limehouse, down to the Thames Barrier and then back up. There are over 25 boats booked to go out of Limehouse so it should be quite a spectacular jaunt.

Thames Barrier Yesterday:

barrier-L.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

A few pictures from the day:

Limehouse Lock

Tim

Limehouse Lock

Tim

Truly excellent pictures Tim - yours always seem so evocative, compared to those of us with just snapshot type compact cameras.

The ones with the Woolwich Ferry look pretty dramatic, and you have managed to make the Clippers look pretty overpowering too.

What surprises me, though, that apart, is it doesn't look that rough.

Yet when I have been up that way by trip boat, it seemed to look a lot worse than the bit inland from Limehouse.

How much more do you get thrown around on this section compared to if you come out of Limehouse and turn right, please ?

But it's robably no good asking you on the 70 foot boat though! How much worse is it on say a 40 to 50 foot boat. Most of those doing it look reasonably long, although there are clearly some shorter ones.

I was talking on the phone last night to a relative, an ex- Merchant Navy officer and senior member of the Institute of Seamanship, who was there as a guest on a police boat. Whilst he liked seeing the spectacle of all the narrow boats, he was amazed that some were't keeping to the correct side of the river, but were all over the place, in spite of some friendly "advice" from the police, thus putting themselves at some risk from the fast moving Clippers. Normal canal rules don't apply here!

I was talking on the phone last night to a relative, an ex- Merchant Navy officer and senior member of the Institute of Seamanship, who was there as a guest on a police boat. Whilst he liked seeing the spectacle of all the narrow boats, he was amazed that some were't keeping to the correct side of the river, but were all over the place, in spite of some friendly "advice" from the police, thus putting themselves at some risk from the fast moving Clippers. Normal canal rules don't apply here!

As someone who was on the trip I can assure you that all the boats kept to the correct side of the river and were certainly not 'all over the place' you've only got to look at the pictures to see this. I do not recall seeing a police boat.

The only time bots were not keping to the bank was when a clipper or another commercial vessel passed and the boats had to turn into the wash, if a boat had to do this twice in succession it could take it out towards the centre of the river. I would have thought that an experienced seaman would have recognised this.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Limehouse Lock

Tim

Come a bit late to these - they are good pictures particularly the one with NB Bimble and the big Thames clipper....

out of curiosity what was it that NB Bimbles' crew were fishing out with their boat hook?

Come a bit late to these - they are good pictures particularly the one with NB Bimble and the big Thames clipper....

out of curiosity what was it that NB Bimbles' crew were fishing out with their boat hook?

My hat!

Tim

... an ex- Merchant Navy officer and senior member of the Institute of Seamanship, who was there as a guest on a police boat. Whilst he liked seeing the spectacle of all the narrow boats, he was amazed that some weren't keeping to the correct side of the river, but were all over the place, in spite of some friendly "advice" from the police, thus putting themselves at some risk from the fast moving Clippers.

all the [narrow] boats kept to the correct side of the river and were certainly not 'all over the place' you've only got to look at the pictures to see this. I do not recall seeing a police boat. The only time bots were not keeping to the bank was when a clipper or another commercial vessel passed and the boats had to turn into the wash, if a boat had to do this twice in succession it could take it out towards the centre of the river.

Yes there was a police boat on the move here. There was some radio traffic from or about this Clipper - see (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) - which had to cross the line of narrowboats to reach its next calling-pier on 'our' side of the river; as Tim says we were at this moment turning into the wash of a couple of other fast boats. See here for an impression of the effect of wash from Clippers and other boats.

The convoy leaders also radioed their concern about the consideration given to us by one of these:

P5076536.JPG

'Rib Experience' is advertised here