Something a bit different

starman

Featured Posts

22 tons with a 10hp engine !

I know electric motors have a huge amount of torque but I wouldn't like to have to do an emergency stop from 4 miles an hour.

Plus 22 2V wet batteries - that's a huge amount of batts to look after - I wonder how much that lot would cost to replace every two years ?

Wot's a Lynch engine?

Tony

Dunno

But a Lynch motor: link

52x27 prop, apparently, and a motor geared down 5:1. Sounds very torquey.

Mind you, not sure the prop is really over 4 foot in diameter.

Maybe it's a metric prop 52cm x 27cm :unsure:

After all, it's only a 10hp motor

• 2 months later...

just came across this forum. The 52 inch propeller was my mistake its of course something arround 52cm...I corected my website now. I also added a FAQ section on my website bauhausbarge. The Lynch motor or engine is amazing and everything you need to know is on my website including other examples where this motor has been used very successfully and also a link to the company. Otherwise just put lynch into any searchengine. If you put (de) behind your searchengine you will find that the lynch motor is incredebly highly respected in Germany and used on motor gliders other boats and so on. Its british engeniering at its best unfortuanately because its not German nobody buys it here on this Island. Well, a few but if this would have been a German invention I am convinced every boat, car, lawnmower would have one. Also, with bauhaus you dont travel 4mph!!! you travel at 30% engine power i.e. 3 HORSPOWER between 4-5km/h any more will be highly inefficient and you stop bauhaus even at 8km/h within 6 seconds. exactly like any other boat. The batterie will last at least 10 years if properly maintained, its exactly the same as your car battery just 20 times the size and since when do you need to replace those every 2 years??

hope that helps

regards,

the boater behind bauhausbarge

No, not sold yet. so dont be shy... got loots of interest but mainly from landliving creatures and people thinking I offer the free help and advice line. A lot of thoughts went into this barge, I have been researching all aspects for many years. bauhaus enabeled me to put all this knowledge into practice which was not easy. We been living on boats for many years and our first daughter was bought up on a barge. I belive that a selfsufficient society will most likely be a fairer society and this can be created by using the most up to date energy saving appliances, insulation, efficient use of space and resources. I did not intent to sell bauhaus and I started to set up an website to show whats possible with profen technology. So, NO we dont have to wait for the future, for another 100 years for the aliens....its all here ready to be used and bauhaus is the proof it works.

We like/have to sell this barge because of ongoing uncertaitentys on the mooring, also to live with two children, one school now and both of us working and no shop nearby is all a bit difficult.

Its now with a broker.

Walter

Thanks Chagall, or you can put bauhausbarge into any searchengine and you find my website. Just to be clear I do not see this forum as a sales platform. On the website you can read over 30min to an hour in various sections why things done the way there done. Also a lot of links to different websites I find interesting. I changed the website quite a bit since I first launched in April this year. I removed the detailed description on insulation but essentially there is more info then a couple of months ago and I hope I got no more mistakes. I would be greateful if any of you would contact me if you see any other mistrakes. please pay in particular attention to the home page, concept design, FAQ,interested, heating, shell, like to buy bauhaus.

Thank you all

Walter

.....with a very large Sainsburys less than a mile away and lots of local shops just up the high street, very good local transport links and uninterrupted southern facing solar opportunities.

What are the issues with the moorings Walter?

Hi Matty40s,

In reply to whats wrong with the mooring walter? You should read first before writing, and you should not jump to conclusions. If your comment was ment to be sarcastic then you very unkind as well. whats wrong with the mooring. Nothing if you dont have two little children and you dont mind balancing on a 150m long path which varies in width from 40-70cm, overhanging with trees and vegetation before you reach the main road. With one child walking and one in the pram its a challange and a risk that I am not willing to take on a daily basis. Sainsbury is from my boat exactly 1800m not more and not less.

Its a personal thing! Perhaps you like to discuss your personal issues on this public platform but leave me out of the equation.

Live and let live

Walter

I wouldn't worry Walter, I read Matty's post as being genuine. Your earlier post suggested that the mooring might not be availble for much longer (e.g. going to be sold, change of use etc) so I'm not surprised that people would be interested in why you're leaving. I think your post answered it perfectly - good mooring but not suitable for a pram - says it all :)

Good luck with the sale. I'm not surprised you've had enquiries from stone dwellers - it looks like a great way to live on the water without too many compromises. I've often admired it when passing by.. I suspect here there would be a lot of folk here, however, who can't understand why anyone would want to live in a craft that wouldn't be as easy to move about as a narrowboat :)

Hi Matty40s,

In reply to whats wrong with the mooring walter? You should read first before writing, and you should not jump to conclusions. If your comment was ment to be sarcastic then you very unkind as well. whats wrong with the mooring. Nothing if you dont have two little children and you dont mind balancing on a 150m long path which varies in width from 40-70cm, overhanging with trees and vegetation before you reach the main road. With one child walking and one in the pram its a challange and a risk that I am not willing to take on a daily basis. Sainsbury is from my boat exactly 1800m not more and not less.

Its a personal thing! Perhaps you like to discuss your personal issues on this public platform but leave me out of the equation.

Live and let live

Walter

• Greenie 1

Hi Matty40s,

Live and let live

Walter

What a peculiar response! That sort of attitude from a seller would put me off buying the thing altogether.

• Greenie 1

What a peculiar response! That sort of attitude from a seller would put me off buying the thing altogether.

Hi Semitrad,

you may find my reply less peculiar if you care to scroll up to post no. 10 where stated the reason why I/we like/have to sell bauhaus. Quote:

We like/have to sell this barge because of ongoing uncertainties on the mooring, also to live with two children, one school now and both of us working and no shop nearby is all a bit difficult.

Its now with a broker.

End of quote.

Then Matty ask me why I sell, having all these convieniences near by...

Must move on now, it has been an interseting learning experience 'I may be some time'

bauhausbarge

Hi Semitrad,

you may find my reply less peculiar if you care to scroll up to post no. 10 where stated the reason why I/we like/have to sell bauhaus. Quote:

We like/have to sell this barge because of ongoing uncertainties on the mooring, also to live with two children, one school now and both of us working and no shop nearby is all a bit difficult.

Its now with a broker.

End of quote.

Then Matty ask me why I sell, having all these convieniences near by...

Must move on now, it has been an interseting learning experience 'I may be some time'

bauhausbarge

£116k?

I suspect it cost very much more to build.

You say you are puzzled why the Lynch motor is not used more. The answer is simple. Cost, weight (of batteries) and power source problems.

If you want to actively cruise, you will not derive enough power from the sun (in the UK), unless you have so many batteries and solar panels that you would sink the boat - not to mention going bankrupt. So you either can't go very far, or you have to have a massive generator. And if the latter, why not cut out the middleman and use a diesel engine for propulsion?

Basically, what you are selling is a houseboat with an electric stove, which can travel short distances slowly. It's not a practical boat for people who like to cruise.

£116k?

I suspect it cost very much more to build.

You say you are puzzled why the Lynch motor is not used more. The answer is simple. Cost, weight (of batteries) and power source problems.

If you want to actively cruise, you will not derive enough power from the sun (in the UK), unless you have so many batteries and solar panels that you would sink the boat - not to mention going bankrupt. So you either can't go very far, or you have to have a massive generator. And if the latter, why not cut out the middleman and use a diesel engine for propulsion?

Basically, what you are selling is a houseboat with an electric stove, which can travel short distances slowly. It's not a practical boat for people who like to cruise.

Depends where you cruise, really. Plenty of electric boats on the Thames because there are charging points. Difficult elsewhere. My partner had an electric narrowboat with Lynch motors going on 20 years ago and still has an old Nicholsons marked with all the boatyards and pubs which were happy to let him charge up. The boat is now owned by the chairman of the electric boat association and is moored on the Norfolk Broads, where there are plenty of charging points.

I agree though the boat is really a houseboat, but that's not really a problem if you're selling a boat in London.

Depends where you cruise, really. Plenty of electric boats on the Thames because there are charging points. Difficult elsewhere. My partner had an electric narrowboat with Lynch motors going on 20 years ago and still has an old Nicholsons marked with all the boatyards and pubs which were happy to let him charge up. The boat is now owned by the chairman of the electric boat association and is moored on the Norfolk Broads, where there are plenty of charging points.

I agree though the boat is really a houseboat, but that's not really a problem if you're selling a boat in London.

What I have taken issue with is the idea that this craft is more than a houseboat. If you are going to live-aboard, and not move, it's fine. But if you want to cruise, you are restricted in where you can go - most electric boats are day-boats, which return to the nest at night.

And if you are not going to live-aboard, then it's hardly an ideal boat for pottering about in.

It must be a nightmare to steer, with that steering position. The view is restricted by the cabin roof, so you can't see anything ahead unless it's 200 yards away. And there is no side-deck to enable you to get to the bow.

Finally, the website says it can be used on the Thames. Given the current, I think that would be a very foolish thing to do in such an under-powered vessel.

So, it's a houseboat which doesn't need shore-power in summer.

It's interesting that your partner no longer has an electric NB, and that the person who bought it is a rabid electric-boatist, and doesn't mind the impracticality.

Electric boats were popular on the Thames a hundred and twenty years ago. When the internal combustion engine arrived, electric boats disappeared very quickly. Until a much more efficient battery is invented, they will remain a rarity.

Hi everybody,

Bauhausbarge is advertised as a cruising houseboat, does not suit everybody and is neither suitable for every mooring. However, there are plenty of moorings on the canals, rivers, lakes, coast in Britain and on the continent which would suit bauhaus as well or even better, providing you with more energy. Bauhaus provides 1400kw/h of free energy a year and even in 25 years 1120kw/h. So over the course of the next 25 years you harvest in the region of 30000kw/h. How you use this energy is up to you, either 2000km cruising a year or hot turkey. Bauhausbarge does exactly what it states on the website nothing more and nothing less. See: www.bauhausbarge.com

Please spend at least 5min on this website ‘home, concept, shell, FAQ and all pages if you haven’t fallen asleep yet before forming an opinion. Bauhausbarge is not more of a nightmare to cruise then any other 14 foot wide or 70 foot long narrow boat. Having cruised extensively a narrow boat as well as on a 14 foot wide Dutch barge I did not intent to make my live/cruising more difficult. You stand on the back deck like on a narrow or wide beam narrow style boat, the entrance does not conceal your view. Check out the pictures on which you can see the side decks as well. Here are a few quotes from the website: ‘cruise leisurely at walking speed or 4-5 km/h and you can do 8km/h very inefficient’. ….’you can travel around 50km on one charge but more in the sun or if you add a small generator’….’in summer you can sell electricity as you probably produce more then you use’

End of quotes.

A battery bank and solar panels do not have to sink a boat! 22kw/h of energy in Lithium Iron battery is 200kg not 1.2 tons. Such a battery back is not even that expensive but to get them it is the challenge. I cannot fly over to China and take them home in my hand luggage. Fortunately there are hybrid cars which have such batteries and this technology has become cheaper and will become more available. Solar panels have gone down in price hugely. The challenge on bauhaus was to get the right ones and all of them weight under 100kg. There is a fantastic electro/diesel hybrid www.hybridmarine.co.uk and have a look what else goes on.

www.solarhouseboat.eu

www.yachtconcept.com

At last even if we leave all environmental issues out of the equation, we still have one main challenge and that’s simply the fact that in time we will run out of the oil. Unfortunately, long before we run out, the price of the oil will fluctuate tremendously depending on availability, supply and demand, but the price will increase in the long term. Quite a few people try very hart to find alternatives, investing a great deal of their own time and money, the more people do that the more oil the others have. So, la vivre la difference!

Bauhausbarge.com