waste oil

Jamboat

Featured Posts

We have been continuously cruising now for 12 months & apart from at Pollington Lock on the Aire & Calder have not seen any facilities for waste oil.

BW refuse disposal points are festooned with notices forbidding leaving waste oil & it's not often that we are handy for council recycling sites. What do other CC's do with theirs ?

I don't CC but if I did, I would talk nicely next time I was buying fuel. Boatyards have to dispose of relatively large quantities of used oil and should have some sort of storage facility. I'm sure there are some out there that would take your oil in return for business or a small fee.

Some boatyards include a charge for oil disposal, even if it's them doing the service, but I don't know how common this is.

Some council tips that accept oil can be reached from the canal - the one in Berkhamsted, (Grand Union, Herts), lies on a road that immediately parallels the canal, for instance.

Some boatyards include a charge for oil disposal, even if it's them doing the service, but I don't know how common this is.

Some council tips that accept oil can be reached from the canal - the one in Berkhamsted, (Grand Union, Herts), lies on a road that immediately parallels the canal, for instance.

Braunston Marina has oil disposal facilities.

I don't CC but if I did, I would talk nicely next time I was buying fuel. Boatyards have to dispose of relatively large quantities of used oil and should have some sort of storage facility. I'm sure there are some out there that would take your oil in return for business or a small fee.

Yes, a hire base will be your best bet.

Edit - try to avoid asking for favours etc at busy turnround times ;)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

I may be a lone voice here, but I see waste oil as fuel. In winter my heating is run on waste oil donated by friendly gararges and in summer it gets mixed 50/50 with diesel to make black diesel to run the engine.

Interestingly I often see oil left at the side of BW waste points. I do them a favour and collect it!

Edited by Nose Miner

Thanks for some useful suggestions, due to fill up with diesel next week so will have a word at whichever boatyard we use.

But anyone wants a few litres for their heating or engines you're more than welcome to it . wink.gif

Currently on the GU headed toward Napton then the South Oxford....

The Household waste site at Loughborough is 5mins walk from the Nottingham Road bridge.

In Wakefield Denby Dale Road waste site is canal side but best accessed from the lock moorings,

But many household waste sites refuse entry unless you're in a car (specifically a car, not na van or on foot)

But many household waste sites refuse entry unless you're in a car (specifically a car, not na van or on foot)

As far as I am aware ypu can turn up by whatever means you choose at both of these sites. There was a thread sometime ago which discussed this issue further.