warwick ring

Timx

Featured Posts

Is the warwick ring possible in a week , starting from cathiron near rugby? will be mid April, with just two aboard, [one being a female, with their slow ways lol]

would it give time to sample the various hostelries, or be too much of a rush in just a week.??

Is the warwick ring possible in a week , starting from cathiron near rugby? will be mid April, with just two aboard, [one being a female, with their slow ways lol]

would it give time to sample the various hostelries, or be too much of a rush in just a week.??

I have twice done the Warwickshire ring in a week, once in May and once in April. However I had a crew total of five and six, not two.

That said, the first time we had to absorb a 24 hour delay due to a cracked lock gate at Aston, and the alternative route by Garrison or Tame Valley were also closed.

If you boat for the enjoyment of moving and working locks, it's a week, if you boat to explore the area the canal passes through, it's two

mm nice one havent decided yet,we do prefer to spend as much time as possible on the boat, I just find it hard not to explore pubs on the canalside, half the fun lol.will have to have a think, thanks.

preferably will do ten days but seems difficult to get a Thursday start from boat hirers

I met a lady who walked the dog round it in a week while hubby drove the hire boat. The dog did not like the boat and kept trying to swim ashore. The man and wife liked the boating so much they planned to buy their own narrow boat! Do the trip clockwise and you should be OK and get the hard bits out of the way first.

Did it in a week some years ago with a crew of four in a Kateboat, and we stopped at pubs every night. As has been suggested, rings are fine unless there is an unscheduled closure, and frankly, they are far more likely now due to maintenance cuts.

Also, previous to that, did a similar week's trip from Warwick around to Sutton Stop and back, taking in the Ashby, and that was great too.

Tone

Did it in a week some years ago with a crew of four in a Kateboat, and we stopped at pubs every night. As has been suggested, rings are fine unless there is an unscheduled closure, and frankly, they are far more likely now due to maintenance cuts.

Even if you do an "out and back" trip with a hire boat, the danger still exists that something can break after you have passed through it on the outward journey, so you can't get back again.

At least rings give two choices of a route back to base!

FWIW, as a family holiday back in the 1970s we easily did this ring in a week, as well as detour down to Stoke Bruerne, and down the Northampton Arm too. No idea what we were smoking at the time, but have the pictures to prove it.

Even if you do an "out and back" trip with a hire boat, the danger still exists that something can break after you have passed through it on the outward journey, so you can't get back again.

At least rings give two choices of a route back to base!

Only one, as the stoppage would preclude the other.

There and back would definitely mean that you know how long it would take you to get back from a stoppage, and anyway, waterways look so different from an opposite perspective. Also, on a there and back cruise the stoppage will not be beyond the half way mark of a corresponding ring cruise.

On a ring cruise it could be three quarters of the way round.

And if the stoppage is behind you on the way out, you have the excuse to give the hire company for not getting back in time.

Been there on both sides of the hirer spectrum if you know what I mean.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

• 4 weeks later...

I did it from Clifton two years ago with my wife and another couple who came on for the first 3 days. I would imagine it's easier when the canal is busy because the big flights are all double locks but we ended up doing most of it on our own and it was quite a lot of work even for under 40s. On the plus side, it was very interesting and we did enjoy it!

:mellow:

WHY ? Canal boating is not about roaring off from place to place we are supposed to enjoy the journey not simply getting to a destination. Ask phylis she never goes fast :lol: But honestly rings etc are a sad modern invention working boaters years ago had to move along quickly to make a living but surely you are on holiday ?

WHY ? Canal boating is not about roaring off from place to place we are supposed to enjoy the journey not simply getting to a destination. Ask phylis she never goes fast :lol: But honestly rings etc are a sad modern invention working boaters years ago had to move along quickly to make a living but surely you are on holiday ?

Some of us aren't continuous cruisers and do have a time limit for our trips out - a week or two weeks in our case. We want to visit new places, see new things. So we do tend to roar (4mph) through the bits we know so we have time to dawdle (2mph or stationary with bacon butties) along the new bits. And I don't see the problem with 'doing a ring' because a lot of us have to get back to where we started by the end of our time.

I think rings are fine for those who want to do them. I'll never forget, many years ago (1979) the hired camping boat that got three quarters of the way around the Shroppie ring and found a closure. They were going day and night to get back. If they had gone 'out and back' the closure wouldn't have been an issue even if it was behind them.

PICT0156.JPG

PICT0160.JPG

Great folks though, in a 1970's hippy sorta way..... man.

PICT0157.JPG

They'd also knocked off their smoke stack. Note the excellent improvisation. Anyone identify the cans?

Edited to add, I'm sure anyone here would agree that the waterways look so different from a 180 degree angle that out and back is just as interesting as a ring, with the added bonus, you can explore what you missed on the way out.

Tone

Edited by canaldrifter

Looks like McEwan's Tartan to me, and a very nice job too.

Who's that steering, you Tone?

Edited to add: I don't see any issue with doing the Warwickshire ring in a week, as long as you want to put in a few long days and enjoy the boating rather than sightseeing. We are based on the Warwickshire ring at Calcutt, and speak to lots of hirers who do exactly that.

Edited by john6767

But the whole point of the OP was to ascertain whether he could do it in a week without rushing!

You do it your way, I'll do it mine.... :closedeyes:

Edited to add, I'm sure anyone here would agree that the waterways look so different from a 180 degree angle that out and back is just as interesting as a ring, with the added bonus, you can explore what you missed on the way out.

Tone

Ditto.... :closedeyes:

I enjoy boating, so that's what I do. The boating IS the fun, and with proper planning does not preclude the consumption of ale. If I enjoyed walking more than boating, I'd sell the boat and buy a walking stick and a springer spaniel. :lol:

Have you Checked Canal Plan?

Warwickshire Ring is 100 mls.,121 locks = 221 lock miles = 73.5 hours.

In a week? Enjoy.

In a week? Enjoy.

Last time, we did the Warwickshire ring and half the Ashby in a week

Richard

In a week? Enjoy.

I always moderate Canalplan with real life.

Not the same as Richard, but the Warwickshire ring, plus the Tame Valley, Ryders Green, Brades, Titpton Factory, Spon Lane, the Titford Canal up and Down, Smethwick and the "loops" in one week.

It was mad cruising, but it wasn't 73 hours even with all that lot added on

In a week? Enjoy.

Whatever have you got in your settings ????

On default it shows as 64 hours which is certainly possible in a week.

On my own settings which are pretty well honed to my own speed of travel it shows it as just 48 hours which is easily achievable in a week without rushing.

Whatever have you got in your settings ????

On default it shows as 64 hours which is certainly possible in a week.

On my own settings which are pretty well honed to my own speed of travel it shows it as just 48 hours which is easily achievable in a week without rushing.

I will say the new version of canal plan has teething troubles

Earlier today I found that Dundas to Bristol Floating Harbour has 7 locks and can be done in eight hours...

The first is factually incorrect and the second improbable if speed limits are respected