The Engine Room

Featured Posts

Presently the fit out of my new boat is going well.

However, I am mulling ahead to the floor for the engine room, which is dominated by a JP3.

In the living area, galley, bedroom and bathroom, the flooring will be oak, but I rather feel that this could get in an awful mess in the engine room, however carefully I look after the engine.

What would others recommend - I'd quite like it to be able to be raddle red in colour.

Any images would be a joy.

Many thanks.

Presently the fit out of my new boat is going well.

However, I am mulling ahead to the floor for the engine room, which is dominated by a JP3.

In the living area, galley, bedroom and bathroom, the flooring will be oak, but I rather feel that this could get in an awful mess in the engine room, however carefully I look after the engine.

What would others recommend - I'd quite like it to be able to be raddle red in colour.

Any images would be a joy.

Many thanks.

Steel floor plate (Durbar)?

Tim

Any images would be a joy..

Kelvinvg.jpg

This is what mine looked like when I was fitting it out. I think checker plate goes well with a traditional engine.

I tried parquet in mine (had some spare), but it didn't work too well. It's a modern trad with the engine under the floor and the rain affected the parquet badly. Just sourced some checker plate and plan to use that instead.

Kelvinvg.jpg

This is what mine looked like when I was fitting it out. I think checker plate goes well with a traditional engine.

KK,

I would have thought you would have wanted something soft to kneel upon when you worship and polish the engine................

I had fitted door matting laid in mine ( available from Homebase).

Leo.

Thank you for this excellent image.

Is checker plate the same as durbar? If not, does one have advantages over the other?

Durbar is the style of modern steel floor plate, as shown in the picture. The other common style was the 'Admiralty Pattern' diamond chequer plate, no longer available and frankly less effective. There are other styles available in aluminium, not seen them in steel though.

Tim

KK,

I would have thought you would have wanted something soft to kneel upon when you worship and polish the engine................

I had fitted door matting laid in mine ( available from Homebase).

Leo.

I wear 'Snickers' trousers which have a built in pocket for knee-pads, useful for when praying the engine will keep going. (Other brands of knee-pad trousers are available)

The diamond pattern tends to fill with paint/water/oily slime and lose it's effectiveness as an anti-slip surface.

Tim

It does look nicer though (well I think it does) - Don't suppose you know where there might be any spare bits just lying around :rolleyes: I could do with some.

It does look nicer though (well I think it does) - Don't suppose you know where there might be any spare bits just lying around :rolleyes: I could do with some.

Likewise - I asked first ;-)

Boatieboy said he could bring some back from Poland but never did (for me.) I gave up asking in the end.

Likewise - I asked first ;-)

Boatieboy said he could bring some back from Poland but never did (for me.) I gave up asking in the end.

Yes it's getting harder and harder to find. There was certainly talk that Malcolm could get it from Poland but I don't know if the supply dried up. I have often noticed it on the back bumper/crash bar of lorrys, not sure if it is steel or aluminium, but it is the right pattern, so it must still be available somewhere.

It looks nicer on boats which are old enough to have used it ;)

No I don't know of any spare bits - the decks on my tug are done with it, if I had any I would be 'keeping it by' in case repairs are ever needed.

Tim

see http://nbsiskin.com/?m=20110207 for a small consideration I will let you have the location of the secret stash. PM me if you are interested.. Scrap prices approx £400 / ton

Steve

I'm in the process of doing my "engine room", though it's more of a cupboard in size!!

The floor is currently just some floor board, compressed stuff. I'm not sure what to finish it with yet, thought I might just paint it with red oxide, but the family want me to use chequer plate..

CasperwithRuston_0001.jpg

Gary.

been through all this about 2 years ago, don't know if the posts will still be active but we imported a load from France. Depending on how much you want, try Brinklow. Warning!!!!!! It ain't cheap. :(

been through all this about 2 years ago, don't know if the posts will still be active but we imported a load from France. Depending on how much you want, try Brinklow. Warning!!!!!! It ain't cheap. :(

From what I can just about remember from when it was the normal floor plate here, it was very expensive then, much more so than Durbar plate is now. My guess is that the rolling pressures needed would be much greater for diamond pattern plate, though I may be wrong.

Tim

No it ain't cheap

floorplatedown.jpg

but it looks the part.

Andrew

Many thanks for all the help this far.

If one goes for Durbar - as shown in an earlier image - should one go for steel or aluminium?

You said that you wanted to paint the floor with raddle red. I would have thought that paint would not be as hardwearing on aluminium as well as on steel. Don't you have to etch aluminium before you can paint on it?

The only point I would make about steel Durbar is that it's heavy and awkward to lift up. I've cut my floor into smaller plates so they are easier to handle.