Battery Thefts

Josher

Featured Posts

Whatever next?

Middlewich Narrowboats hit by spate of thefts

9:00am Saturday 12th February 2011 Middlewich Guardian

Snapshot2011-02-1212-07-33.jpg

A CANAL holiday business has almost lost customers after being hit hard by a spate of battery thefts. Middlewich Narrowboats in Canal Terrace has been targeted by criminals 20 times since October. Thieves have been stealing batteries worth £90 each from canal boats moored on the towpaths while the business is closed.

Manager Adam Foskett told the Guardian that the thefts have cost the company around £2,000, including the labour to replace the parts. “It’s constantly the same frustration trying to counteract the theft,” he said. “As well as the cost it’s time constraining as you have to order new batteries in. “It doesn’t paint a good picture of the town. Visitors are coming to Middlewich from all around the country and finding out that batteries are being stolen. “It doesn’t portray a good image.” Adam, who has run Middlewich Narrowboats for seven years, has not lost any customers due to the thefts - but it has come close. The 29-year-old said: “Once a battery was missing on the same day the boat was going out. “The customer picking up the boat had to be delayed so it’s not just inconvenient for us but for a third party as well. “The batteries are probably being sold to people with boats and caravans and they’ve got a high quantity of lead so they have a high scrap value.”

Adam has now been forced to consider forking out for tighter security measures. This includes CCTV and ‘Smart Water’ - an invisible solution which is painted on to property so the true owner can always be identifed. He added: “I hoped it wouldn’t have to come to this and it’s at a big expense to us as well.” PCSO Roger Need, of Middlewich police, thinks the culprits are using a nearby car to transport the batteries as each can weigh up to 30kg. He said: “If people are on the canals or taking their dog for a walk on the towpaths and see anything suspicious please contact us because it’s happening more and more.”

All is well - they have a Community Safety Officer on the case.

Edited to add: and I've just re-read it and noticed that he thinks they may be taking the batteries away in a vehicle. With this level of razor sharp intellect on the case the culprits should be in court being let off by the magistrates in no time. I imagine implying the vehicle might be some form of Ford pickup would be wrong.

Edited by twbm
  • Greenie 2

The police involved with my mates case had a tip off that they were in a recycling depot about 50 miles away. They wont even go to take a look.

Reason given?

How can you prove those are the bat that you had nicked.

I think he dint want to have to unload the battery storage area to look for them.

Serious point here - if you make the batteries identifiable they mey well get left alone. Smartwater and UV pens are great after the event if perchance someone is found in possession, but gouging the boat name and home mooring location (maybe a mobile number) in the top of the battery with an old soldering iron or similar might just mean it doesn't get taken.

With luck the potential recipients will be aware of local current affairs and the battery can be returned ohm.

All is well - they have a Community Safety Officer on the case.

Edited to add: and I've just re-read it and noticed that he thinks they may be taking the batteries away in a vehicle. With this level of razor sharp intellect on the case the culprits should be in court being let off by the magistrates in no time. I imagine implying the vehicle might be some form of Ford pickup would be wrong.

More likely a Ford Transit innit?

A while ago police found two youths on wasteland. One was drinking battery acid, the other eating fireworks.

The charged one, but let the other off.

Off topic and not the best joke, but it still makes me giggle.

More likely a Ford Transit innit?

You might say that but I couldn't possibly comment - I've been on a course at work.

Are you positive?

Yes, but they were lead into it.

The police have put them in cells.

(And have warned them of the very specific gravity of their situation, of course.....)

Edited by alan_fincher

bearing in mind the gravity of the charge in this specific case you would hope the beak would have the capacity to positively discriminate against aproving any discharge.

my clamp-on is available for apprehension and detention if needed in the Bristol area.

............. coat...