Emergency Brake

Clivo

Featured Posts

Hi Everybody

For those of you that carry one, which is your anchor of choice?

The only folding one I can find is called a 'Grapnel Anchor', which seems a good idea as it takes up very little room, but..... How does it perform compared to other designs. Also, how do you calculate the size best suited to your narrow boat.

Are some anchors designed &/or more suited to a seabed environment or does this no enter the equation.

Your thoughts much appreciated.

Time for eleven'ses

The anchor needs to be the biggest one you or a crew member can lift, it needs a good length of chain (there is a technical word) and a length of rope (there is also a technical word for this) to reach the bottom of what ever water you are on.

The usual one is a 'Danforth' I have one of the grapnel types not expecting it to stop me just slow the boat a bit. :o

No expert, but the generally expressed view seems to be "if it takes up very little space it will not be much use for a 15 ton narrow boat in the kinds of condotions it's likely to be deployed".

The Danforth type seems to be nigh on universal for narrow boats, and it's a bit more "stowable" than some.

THere is a theory that if you can't easily deploy it it's not really worth having, so a 15KG weight up to a maximum of about 20KG seems to be the norm.

Ours looks like this.....

Anchor.jpg

No expert, but the generally expressed view seems to be "if it takes up very little space it will not be much use for a 15 ton narrow boat in the kinds of condotions it's likely to be deployed".

The Danforth type seems to be nigh on universal for narrow boats, and it's a bit more "stowable" than some.

THere is a theory that if you can't easily deploy it it's not really worth having, so a 15KG weight up to a maximum of about 20KG seems to be the norm.

Ours looks like this.....

{Picture snipped}

Alan, I've come across a fundamental flaw in your plan..

It's going to be of no use to you unless you attach it to the boat.

A better question might be "Has anyone ever deployed an anchor from a narrowboat to save it from disaster"

Richard

My prediction is that no-one on here ever has

No, but we have used it "in Earnest"! ;)

A2.jpg

A1.jpg

It's down there somewhere!

No, but we have used it "in Earnest"! ;)

That is where Danforths work best in deep soft mud!

Try using one on the Thames with a gravel river bed they just don't work and yes I have tried it, the CQR however did work.

What would I use for a river, probably a halls anchor these are used on inland barges in Europe and seem to be best for river conditions.

I did some research about anchors a while ago - spoke to a friend who owns a 36' yacht. You use different anchors for different bottom conditions. Some such as a Danforth work well in mud others such as a grapnel work well with a stoney bottom. There are charts published by anchor makers which give the size of anchor for the size of boat under a set of conditions. Nothing in them for narrowboats since we have a different amount of drag compared to a yacht and we don't often see force 10 gales.

I've got 2 anchors. The danforth type is attached to a long chain and nylon rope (easy to cut in an emergency - an anchor should be treated as a consumable) and lives in the cratch. I've got a big shackle that fits round the T stud to locate it. I've also got a grapnel that lives in a piece of drain pipe in the engine room (modern type boat). This takes up very little room and although it might not be very effective it is near the helm and quick to deploy. I've never used either.

That is where Danforths work best in deep soft mud!

Try using one on the Thames with a gravel river bed they just don't work and yes I have tried it, the CQR however did work.

What would I use for a river, probably a halls anchor these are used on inland barges in Europe and seem to be best for river conditions.

When Steve comes back to Riversdale, he is going to make me a 40KG Halls stockless clone.

Graham can shot blast it and he knows an agricultural stuff manufacturer in the North than has a hot dip galvanising plant :rolleyes:

Here is one of his past lightweight, more spindly efforts:

Anchor.jpg

I think it needs a bit more spikey stiffning on the tip of the flukes.

Yes I have used one in anger on a fast flowing river Trent when I had a problem with diesel bug. It was a Bruce and worked a treat but I stupidly tried to turn the boat into flow and deploy from the bow, well I'm from the sea and out there we always deploy at the front! The resultant swing ran me hard aground so next time it will go over the stern (when running downstream of course) The Bruce is a bugger to stow so have replaced it with a slightly bigger Danforth. At sea I used to carry 5 anchors ranging from a fisherman for kelp and rocks to a big CQR for strong wind conditions. I also had a folding grapnal but would only trust it for a lunch stop in calm conditions. You have to weigh up your probable useage and purchase accordingly. Some have never needed to use their anchor so scoff at others who carry good kit just in case!

Google is your friend

Clyde Quick Release plough anchor:

800px-Genuine_CQR.jpg

Richard

It was named as a 'phonetic' version of what it is ie "SECURE" (say C Q R), they then had to devise a 'name' to justify the CQR initials.

Originally being of the sea-going fraternity I would only use either a CQR or a Danforth. Grapnels and 'Fishermans' anchors are (as stated) for tea-time breaks only.

It was named as a 'phonetic' version of what it is ie "SECURE" (say C Q R), they then had to devise a 'name' to justify the CQR initials.

Originally being of the sea-going fraternity I would only use either a CQR or a Danforth. Grapnels and 'Fishermans' anchors are (as stated) for tea-time breaks only.

That's what Wikipedia has:

CQR (Clyde Quick Release)/Plough

So named due to its resemblance to a traditional agricultural plough (or more specifically two ploughshares), many manufacturers produce a plough-style design, all based on or direct copies of the original CQR (Secure), a 1933 design by mathematician Geoffrey Ingram Taylor.[2] Owing to a now well established history, ploughs are particularly popular with cruising sailors and other private boaters. They are generally good in all bottoms, but not exceptional in any. The CQR design has a hinged shank, allowing the anchor to turn with direction changes rather than breaking out, and also arranged to force the point of the plough into the bottom if the anchor lands on its side. Another more recent commercial design, the Delta uses an unhinged shank and a plough with specific angles to develop slightly superior performance. Both can be stored in most regular anchor roller systems.

Owing to the use of lead or other dedicated tip-weight, the plough is heavier than average for the amount of resistance developed, and may take a slightly longer pull to set thoroughly. It cannot be stored in a hawse pipe.

The genuine CQR and Delta brands are now owned by Lewmar, although they have both been on-sold several times during their lifetimes.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I have some experince using danforth anchors to anchor trout fishing boats broadside to the wind. In these circumstances we have proved beyond doubt that the chain is the most important part of the setup. So cruial is it that on a test session, we sucessfully anchored with only the chain and no anchor but failed with the anchor and no chain in storng winds. General wisdom seems to be that you need at least twice the depth of total warp.

I have some experince using danforth anchors to anchor trout fishing boats broadside to the wind. In these circumstances we have proved beyond doubt that the chain is the most important part of the setup. So cruial is it that on a test session, we sucessfully anchored with only the chain and no anchor but failed with the anchor and no chain in storng winds. General wisdom seems to be that you need at least twice the depth of total warp.

On doing my sea going 'skippers' ticket I was taught at least 20 foot of chain (preferably 50 foot) and a minimum 3 times (preferably 5 times) water depth of 'warp'. The full length of chain should be on the 'bottom' with the warp developing into a large catenary.

For my NB on the river I have 20 foot chain and 70 foot of warp.

If the river is 20 foot deep you need a minimum of 60 foot total length to get the anchor to 'set' correctly

We have a 20kg danforth, with i think about 150ft of chain, and a chain winch.

Its been most years since the boat was built, not yet in an emergency as such, but for times like when we beached on a falling tide going up the trent. Lob it over board, go to sleep, and then if you fail to wake to your alarm when the tide comes back atleast you have a chance of not ending up doing something really silly!

Daniel

A better question might be "Has anyone ever deployed an anchor from a narrowboat to save it from disaster"

Richard

My prediction is that no-one on here ever has

You are wrong. We used ours on the Thames when we had engine trouble. I stood at the front waving our red wrg flag to stop boats going between the boat and the anchor. :help:

Sue