To ease some cabin fever

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

1 Caledonian Canal, Corpach Sea Lock

2 The 'Crow' Top lock

3 President, Kildare,

4 T&R Transport's 'Pike', unoading at Ryhall on Severn

5 Farmers Bridge Flight (B&F under Brindley House)

2 Don't recognise me, so Proper Job, Stort Mark?

8/11

More work needed on 2 and 3

Richard

And you don't need Team Tawny Owl knowledge to get the final two marks

So where is the "big one" in my post 56?

Mick

That's on the Great Ouse near Bedford isn't it? Castle Mills Lock IIRC, the two sets of paddles are ground paddles for both filling and emptying (except they don't call them ground paddles they call them slackers around there)

OK, so to enter into the spirit of this, and not having any pictures to hand.

Where was my avatar (look left) picture taken. It is a really easy one.

I'd guess Sutton Stop lock at Hawkesbury...

Edited by MJG

Here's a little test for those of you with Tunnel Vision. There are 4 tunnels shown here, with two pictures of each. Can yuo match the pairs and identify the tunnels?

There are definitely enough clues if you look carefully enough.

Picture 1:

5287916662_b3e1371551_o.jpg

TunnelsA by Keeping Up, on Flickr

Picture 2:

5287916742_441b96a722_o.jpg

TunnelsB by Keeping Up, on Flickr

Picture 3:

5287916786_33441b3d92_o.jpg

TunnelsC by Keeping Up, on Flickr

Picture 4:

5287316345_04543feeaf_o.jpg

TunnelsD by Keeping Up, on Flickr

Picture 5:

5287916868_62d7b5ce8d_o.jpg

TunnelsE by Keeping Up, on Flickr

Picture 6:

5287316425_864589fda1_o.jpg

TunnelsF by Keeping Up, on Flickr

Picture 7:

5287916978_c390636b83_o.jpg

TunnelsG by Keeping Up, on Flickr

Picture 8:

5287917016_68a0be941c_o.jpg

TunnelsH by Keeping Up, on Flickr

If the picture quality is a bit variable, it's partly because they were taken at different times and partly because it's not easy steering through a tunnel with one hand while taking photos with the other!

Any guesses folks?

That's on the Great Ouse near Bedford isn't it? Castle Mills Lock IIRC, the two sets of paddles are ground paddles for both filling and emptying (except they don't call them ground paddles they call them slackers around there)

That's the one

Happy Christmas and best wishes for 2011

Mick

Allan, pictures 3 and 5, I think was a temporary tunnel on the T & M Stoke on Trent ?

Correct, well done Nigel, It was there only for a few months in 2004/2005, and was a right bu**er to steer through because (as you can just make out in the photo) it had quite a sharp curve in it.

I thought those two would go first - that just leaves the other three pairs to identify

A very creditable attempt Roger (Albion)

1 and 4 are indeed a pair, but it's not Braunston. The clue is the chain in #1, but not the one by the board; there's a much older high-level chain too which I believe is a unique feature of this tunnel.

2 and 8 are also a pair, but they're not Harecastle. I believe there's only one brick-lined tunnel with such dramatic changes to the headroom as you pass through it.

Successfully identified by both posts above, yes 6 & 7 are Froghall Tunnel at the end of the Caldon. Picture 7 was taken 11 years after picture 6, note that the water level was permanently lowered by a few inches during the intervening years, to allow slightly more headroom.

Yes, correct, numbers 2 and 8 are the Gosty Hill tunnel.

That still leaves one pair of pictures, but Alan and Cath you're both wrong, it is neither Islington nor hyperspace

OK, it's a well maintained, pretty dry, tunnel that has had modernisation for safety (hence the rubbing board and the chains below it for anyone who falls in). However, the older chain is up too high to be of any use to anyone in the water therefore it must have had some other use such as pulling a boat through by hand. Can't really be sure from the photo if it is a single gauge tunnel or two way at a squeeze.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

It looks so, so familiar that I think I'm going to kick myself when we find out.

Roger