Chris Tarrant On TV

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Just finished watching the prog - not too bad IMHO.

Best quote, for me, from Chris Tarrent whilst legging through a tunnel "I'm fabulously wealthy I don't have to do this......"

I've 'sky plused' it after a tip off earlier today on here...

I think that programme must win a prize for the most number of times that "Brindley" has ever been used in a canal programme .... he seems to have invented water and dug all the canals single handed and then upped and died of exhaustion ?

Edited by Graham!

I thought it one of the better ones on a subject covered many times. Tarrant of course like most presenters has no clue about canals so was reading the script which as I say was better than most placing canals more in context of the industrial revolution than most that programmes that focus on some aspects like the pottery trade. Would have preferred Fred the weather man present it mind you,ideally with his hand up sooties kilt

Charles

I thought it one of the better ones on a subject covered many times. Tarrant of course like most presenters has no clue about canals so was reading the script which as I say was better than most placing canals more in context of the industrial revolution than most that programmes that focus on some aspects like the pottery trade. Would have preferred Fred the weather man present it mind you,ideally with his hand up sooties kilt

Charles

Not Chris Tarrant's first canal experience, below is a picture of a younger version interviewing Paddington Bear and Glen Knight at Canalway Cavalcade for the Six O'clock Show in 1988:

1086004559_eoesH-L.jpg

Tim

As one of the "talking heads" on last night's BBC4 TV programme "Unlocking the Midlands", it's good to know it came across OK. Not only Chris Tarrant knew little of canals, but nor did the rest of the production crew. After they contacted me it was perhaps fortunate that I sent them a copy of my book "James Brindley - Canal Pioneer".

It was, however, a day to remember, and Chris Tarrant is very good at putting people at ease.

So, with star-dust in my eyes, I return to producing our Richlow canal guides.

Christine Richardson

I'd never heard the term "Brindley Lock" used before, but it was the most-repeated phrase he used. Is it in general use or was it made up for the programme?

At the end of the programme, when CT was steering, was it my imagination or did a gloved hand reach up from inside the boat to the tiller for a moment and correct the steering? Maybe someone inside the boat thought CT was Sooty?

Not Chris Tarrant's first canal experience, below is a picture of a younger version interviewing Paddington Bear and Glen Knight at Canalway Cavalcade for the Six O'clock Show in 1988:

1086004559_eoesH-L.jpg

Tim

Thank you for posting that Tim

brought back a few old memories..I have sent a copy to Glenn

Chris

At the end of the programme, when CT was steering, was it my imagination or did a gloved hand reach up from inside the boat to the tiller for a moment and correct the steering? Maybe someone inside the boat thought CT was Sooty?

I saw that!! I was wondering how he could look to camera for so long whilst steering without crashing. I would have bashed it into the side in a fraction of the time he was surposed to be in control. :lol: :lol:

Mind you I though it was a good program.

Edited by Water Rat.