winter moorings letter...........

matty40s

Featured Posts

When the Winter moorings free for all was released at 4pm on the 4th October, there was 3 and a bit m left at Camden and 1.5 m left at Little Venice. Paddington Basin sold out the same evening.

A couple of letters arrived at my home address yesterday from BW dated the 22nd. Apparently, if I phone the BW Moorings Warden there are spaces for me at Paddington Basin and Little Venice as they know I was in the area recently and stayed longer than a night.

I now await letters from Cowley Junction, Kensal Green , Alperton Sainsbury, Victoria Park, Hackney, Stonebridge Lock and Waltham Abbey offering me winter moorings.

1. Why has space suddenly appeared at locations which were sold out on auction start?

2. don't they think I would have bid if I was either interested or the price wasn;t so ridiculously high, for little or no facilities.

I expect they will start cold calling me soon offering me an exceptional deal on one, so long as I don't tell someone who has already paid, what I pay.....

no thanks, I bought a boat to cruise, ta

I have pointed out before, there are plenty of spaces at our BW on line mooring. And I know I meet many more boats tied up between our moorings and Kingswood junction on a Sunday afternoon. Seems to me there are a lot more boats surviving off moorings than there used to be

Richard

I have pointed out before, there are plenty of spaces at our BW on line mooring. And I know I meet many more boats tied up between our moorings and Kingswood junction on a Sunday afternoon. Seems to me there are a lot more boats surviving off moorings than there used to be

Richard

They're probably empty because no one will pay what BW think they are worth!

When I read Cotswoldman's thread about getting a letter saying he was overstaying and would he like a winter mooring I thought of posting that it was probably part of a scheme to try and get boats that were still moving around the system on winter moorings now what BW regards as the boating "season" is over but didn't do so because I thought I was probably being too cynical. Now I'm not so sure.

The only cynical bit of me is why the LV moorings were all gone before the funfair started,Paddington soon after, and now there's lotsa space. The moorings web only shows an 8, and a 7m berth in the Padd basin, but BW know I am 21m as they have clicked me on their little handheld thingys there.

......or perhaps they think I hibernate in a smaller boat in the winter. :lol:

The only cynical bit of me is why the LV moorings were all gone before the funfair started,Paddington soon after, and now there's lotsa space. The moorings web only shows an 8, and a 7m berth in the Padd basin, but BW know I am 21m as they have clicked me on their little handheld thingys there.

......or perhaps they think I hibernate in a smaller boat in the winter. :lol:

I walked through Paddington Basin last night and it is eerily almost empty. If it has been sold out then I imagine boats are on their way but even Little Venice seems suspiciously empty at the moment.

I walked through Paddington Basin last night and it is eerily almost empty. If it has been sold out then I imagine boats are on their way but even Little Venice seems suspiciously empty at the moment.

Why are they selling winter moorings in the basin don't people cruise there in the winter, I certainly intend to next year and expect to find visitor mooring available!

Why are they selling winter moorings in the basin don't people cruise there in the winter, I certainly intend to next year and expect to find visitor mooring available!

Yes well its a sore point, with alot of boaters, but this is the first time we've had winter moorings out here before (in Tottenham) which IMO is a much more sensible place for them, because we don't get tourists and many holiday boaters race through(like it's the South Bronx or something), but what we do have up here is full services incl. hot showers, a cafe and also a tube station & several large supermarkets all in walking distance and it's very quiet here. So its a good place to winter. But will people pay £1500 when they can just moor on the bit that isn't designated winter moorings? We've got about 1 mile of towpath up here (as you probably know) and 250 yards of it is winter moorings.

Paddington Basin moorings are sought after by some people as winter moorings as they are very quiet and extremely secure = unusual on two counts for London moorings. Right next to transport, shopping and boat services makes them extra appealing. I confess that I quite like mooring there myself but having a cat who is a bit of a wild child makes inner city mooring a bit of a no go for 'us'.

Paddington Basin moorings are sought after by some people as winter moorings as they are very quiet and extremely secure = unusual on two counts for London moorings. Right next to transport, shopping and boat services makes them extra appealing. I confess that I quite like mooring there myself but having a cat who is a bit of a wild child makes inner city mooring a bit of a no go for 'us'.

I really don't like those moorings TBH - inner city concrete jungle with roaring traffic. Camden on the other hand is lovely and peaceful, doesn't feel like you're in the city.

Would that be the part with the pontoons, that were all full yesterday, when we arrived. or the bit the other side of the Helix bridge.

Now moored with others by the station exit.

An aside, when we got to the end to turn, you should have seen the panic on the builders faces, when our bow almost touched the newly laid coping stones. Didn't know builders could move that quick.:)

Yes well its a sore point, with alot of boaters, but this is the first time we've had winter moorings out here before (in Tottenham) which IMO is a much more sensible place for them, because we don't get tourists and many holiday boaters race through(like it's the South Bronx or something), but what we do have up here is full services incl. hot showers, a cafe and also a tube station & several large supermarkets all in walking distance and it's very quiet here. So its a good place to winter. But will people pay £1500 when they can just moor on the bit that isn't designated winter moorings? We've got about 1 mile of towpath up here (as you probably know) and 250 yards of it is winter moorings.

Agreed not a problem at Tottenham where there is plenty of space to moor (but why would anyone pay) but at Paddington where do you go and with their likely financial difficulties this could just be the thin end of the wedge if you let them for the winter why not all year round, end of visitor facilities in the capital,

When I read Cotswoldman's thread about getting a letter saying he was overstaying and would he like a winter mooring I thought of posting that it was probably part of a scheme to try and get boats that were still moving around the system on winter moorings now what BW regards as the boating "season" is over but didn't do so because I thought I was probably being too cynical. Now I'm not so sure.

You can never be too cynical.

Bob.

Those pontoon moorings to the left are not available as public moorings, are they ?

I have always believe them to all be private moorings ??

I spent 4 days on one of those pontoons in the summer with no complaints. I think you have more problems on the right when it comes to private moorings.

George ex nb Alton retired

• Greenie 1

I stopped on those too in late August. There aren't any private ones there as far as I could see, although there was one boat there the whole time I was in the area (inc Little Venice too before Dave jumps on his hi 'orse)and I'm pretty sure it's still there in the photo above.

I spent 4 days on one of those pontoons in the summer with no complaints. I think you have more problems on the right when it comes to private moorings.

George ex nb Alton retired

I stopped on those too in late August. There aren't any private ones there as far as I could see, although there was one boat there the whole time I was in the area (inc Little Venice too before Dave jumps on his hi 'orse)and I'm pretty sure it's still there in the photo above.

We live and learn!

Without taking the piss, what might have influenced my belief that they are private is that there are certain boats that have always been on the same pontoon each time we have visited, (with visits many months apart).

I've never ever seen spaces on them, like those in the photo, that I can recall.

If they are fair game, I'll bear them in mind next time we visit.

Re. the same boats being there, they might be moorings wardens, there are quite a few in Central London, incl. Little Venice and Islington, I know alot of people whinge about the big blue widebeam overstaying @ Camden, but he's the warden and has been for donkeys....

Edited by Lady Muck

Surely the basin doesn't need a mooring warden - the basin security team take a 'roll call' of the boats every day. The water on the other side of the helix bridge at the end o the basin isn't BW owned... the building contractors added this additional section to the basin so they could sell the end buildings as waterside property. There are therefore no plans to make that bit navigable.

BTW all the moorings in the basin are visitor moorings (in the summer months)