Single handing for beginners

Featured Posts

Ok - I've managed to shake Jan off for a weekend (one after next) and I am thinking about venturing out for a couple of days.

Before I commit to the plan,

Any 'expert' single handers out there care to offer any tips-

I can see the locks being the biggest challenge so will likely go west towards the single locks OR would a better option be to go east for the wider locks with a chance to buddy up with another crew.

Any advice appreciated.

Ok - I've managed to shake Jan off for a weekend (one after next) and I am thinking about venturing out for a couple of days.

I can see the locks being the biggest challenge so will likely go west towards the single locks OR would a better option be to go east for the wider locks with a chance to buddy up with another crew.

Any advice appreciated.

I single hand and frequently tow single handed as well. The most important thing is to take it easy, it all takes more time to untie, push off, do locks.

There are lots of posts about locking single handed. In summary take the center rope up the ladder with you. Open one gate and feel happy, then open the other. Keep the rope laid out close by with no kinks.

Tim

I'd say go west because those large locks are really hard work single-handed if you don't find a suitable boat to share them with.

Just take it slowly, and think ahead so that you know whether you need to end up ON or OFF the boat, and whether you should have taken a rope/windlass/whatever with you.

I'd say go west because those large locks are really hard work single-handed if you don't find a suitable boat to share them with.

Just take it slowly, and think ahead so that you know whether you need to end up ON or OFF the boat, and whether you should have taken a rope/windlass/whatever with you.

If you have the option, go for the single locks for your first time. Wide locks, on your own, are a pain, because your boat will move side to side. In the narrow locks, you don't need to worry about that, and probably don't need to take the centre line either. just leave the prop in forward tickover, to ride the gate/sill.

I don't know the exact layout of your locks, but on the T&M, and Oxford, I did the following.

Going up.

Drive into the lock mouth, with the bow resting against the lock gate. Just take some care approaching. Leave in forward tickover, or use centreline to hold the boat (most locks have a bollard very close to the entrance, for that purpose). If you need to set the lock, you will have to tie the boat down, otherwise, open the gate. Now you can either step back on and drive in, or pull the boat in with the centre line.

Close gate.

Open paddles as required, keeping an eye on the boat, to ensure no mishaps. Pay attention to the front fender, which should ride up on the gate boards, but may snag under the beam.

Open the gate/s, and move out, but only just past the gate/s. Here, do the same earlier, but tie the stern line to the bollard. Some locks on the Oxford have specially designed longer landings at the lock mouth, where you don't even need to tie down.

Close gates, step back on, and move away.

Going down.

Basically the same in reverse, but allow some space to open the gate/s. leave the boat in forward tick over, and she'll ride the gate, and stay away from the sill.

Happy single handing.

;)

Just as an example, but most locks are better than this.

Photo0404.jpg

To the left you can see the lock entrance/exit. The lockgates are further on, just out of view. The steps lead down to the water edge. because it is a narrow entrance, you can enter with the boat, and savely leave it, and step of onto the steps. You can take the centre line if you want, but leaving the boat in forward tick over means it will stay where it is. She will even enter the lock herself when you open the gate ;) . Close the gate when she has entered, and she'll stop against the sill at the other end.

I remember my first time out on me tod....I turned South on a windy early October day and did the Long Buckby double locks and then a lovely cruise down to Bugsworth and back. It was a very long day, probably too long, but the feeling of intense satisfaction and achievement at the end of it was well worth it, it was also the first time I managed to get the boat back in it's tight berth using torque and tiller to best effect (i.e - without hitting anything else!!)

I became well and truly grounded at one point, and managed to free myself remembering all the good advice from here.

Go for it!!

Martin,

Three yeara ago I single handed from Nottingham to Fradley, defintley go for the narrow locks, the broad locks are swines if you end up on your own. In Swarkestone lock (which is very deep) the boat jammed diagonally across the lock for some reason and it took me about 45 minutes to fill the lock for fear of catching. The bottom gates also have an endearing habit of opening themselves when you are halfway to the top paddles.

The narrow locks are generally shallow enough to get on and off the roof, indeed one or two are shallow enough to allow you to climb direct off the back deck...

I remember my first time out on me tod....I turned South on a windy early October day and did the Long Buckby double locks and then a lovely cruise down to Bugsworth and back. It was a very long day, probably too long

Bucky goin south and the Bugsworth... :blink: That would be one heck of a long day, down to Northampton, down the nene, across the wash, Witham Trent... :wacko:

are you sure you went to Bugsworth :lol::huh:

Go west young man. Going east will mean you have to do Weston and Aston locks which are bad enough if you are buddied up with somebody and almost impossible on your own. Also the locks towards and beyond Burton are lower and so less distance to afall of the ladder (joking)

Having single handed from Leicester to Willington with a dodgy shoulder I can assure I I was wishing that every lock was a narrow rather than double.

I can only repeat what has been said before

1) Take it slowly.

2) Plan your entrance and exit

3) Take your centre line with you and make sure that you can get to it quickly

4) I put about 3-4 turns around a bollard to restrict the forward/backward movement of the boat (57 footer) in the lock

5) Take advantage (in the nicest possible way) of other lockers. Once they know you are single handed they will probably do the locking for you anyway.

Pete

Generally I am quicker on my own than with enthusiastic helpers. On your own you can focus and make excellent progress uninterrupted. The fastest I ever went up a flight of broad locks was in tandem with another bloke who was single-handing his own boat. We both knew exactly what we were doing.

Single-handing is not slower.

Any advice appreciated.

It would be well worth your while getting a copy of the following book:

Going It Alone by Colin Edmondson

"A boater's guide to working a narrowboat single-handed."

Available from the Inland Waterways Association as follows:

http://www.iwashop.com/

Product Reference: ED01

Stewey

"Can a wide beam (12x60) be cruised single handedly, I am a long way off from that even if feasible !"

What do you think could possibly prevent any able bodied person from operating any boat single handed?! I don't understand this 'mystique' associated with single-handing. Single-handing is utterly straightforward and a lot less complicated than operating with a crew. You know exactly what you have to do and when to do it, you have no issues with communication or confusion. Simple!

• Greenie 1

Any advice appreciated.

I have single handed round the system for nearly four years now, and the trick is just take it easy. makes no difference single or double locks, they have to be filled or emptied and you have just as much chance of someone coming down/going up at a single lock as a double lock. I would go with the option that takes you to the best pub!!

Of course a widebeam can be single handed.

It can only be moved once every 6 months , and then from waterpoint to waterpoint !

Chris

btw Jenlyn this is just a pop at the stereotypical widebeamer and not at you personally who covers more miles in his widebeam than most in our area

Bucky goin south and the Bugsworth... :blink: That would be one heck of a long day, down to Northampton, down the nene, across the wash, Witham Trent... :wacko:

are you sure you went to Bugsworth :lol::huh:

My money is on Bugbrooke !

It can only be moved once every 6 months , and then from waterpoint to waterpoint !

Chris

Ah,

So you have seen that ulta-expensive, ultra-big wide-beam that caused so much interest because it got reviewed as meeting the "VAT free" reguirement ?

At the momement it's stomping ground seems to be "the pound below the Nash locks" or alternatively "the pound above the Nash locks".

Never seen it anywhere else yet, and it's been around quite a few months.

At least it seems to sit there generating it's presumably copious electricity requirements relatively quietly.

May be "VAT free" but there seems to be no urge to actually take it boating...........

What do you think could possibly prevent any able bodied person from operating any boat single handed?! I don't understand this 'mystique' associated with single-handing. Single-handing is utterly straightforward and a lot less complicated than operating with a crew. You know exactly what you have to do and when to do it, you have no issues with communication or confusion. Simple!

I have no experience of going through manual locks of any boat of any size, so forgive my ignorance on such matters.

Chris

Good point, as my marina will have water, electricity, gas, coal and wood, so no need to move at all. Just called the builder and told him not to bother with an engine ! You have just saved me a few grand.

• Greenie 1

If you go towards Arlewas you won't need to rope your boat in the locks. When you open the paddles the water pushes the boat against the top gate rather than back the other way as one might expect. I normally leave mine in gear against the gate but even if you've stopped a bit short you can coax the boat forward by gentle use of a paddle. It's very satisfying and (whisper it) actually quite easy.

There are one or two where you really need the boat in gear as the first thing to do is open a paddle and then go back to shut one of the back gates again. They won't stay put without a bit of water behind 'em.

"I have no experience of going through manual locks of any boat of any size, so forgive my ignorance on such matters."

You are buying a brand new, bespoke-built boat and you have no experience of boating?!!! Are you sure about this? :-)

Best way I bought my boat having never been on a narrowboat except when looking at buying one.

Edited to say: made my first locks single handed very interesting..........

Edited by cotswoldsman

"I have no experience of going through manual locks on any boat of any size, so forgive my ignorance on such matters."

You are buying a brand new, bespoke-built boat and you have no experience of boating?!!! Are you sure about this? :-)

I never said I have had no experience of boating, I said I have never operated manual locks. Sure about this ? You can never be sure on anything 'til you try it. Mind you I was sure I wouldn't like brussel sprouts before I tried them.